Your personal player evaluation for the Steelers game.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I understand every one has their own style of watching football games and there is no wrong way to do it!

But I was thinking it would be cool if your style is to watch 1 individual player (or if you would be willing to switch to this style for a game) so that we could each pick a player and come back after the game and give our evaluation.

Its hard to evaluate 11 players at the same time but its easy to evaluate 1.

So if you want to participate, pick a player, watch him every time he on the field and give us your opinion on his strengths and weakness.

My player is #52 Darrell Taylor. I think he is quietly the ingredient that is going to make this 3-4 defence work.

Drop down the player you will watch and give an evaluation of! (If your boy has been picked, pick him anyways, 2 evaluations are better than 1)

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I can usually walk & chew bubblegum at the same time (er well I use to be able to chew the gum, not so easy with these damned dentures lol) so I want to see, and will be watching the QB (both Geno & Lock) AND RB attack from Walker on Offense, I'll likely get distracted, watching Cross in his debut.
Defensively, I'm eager to see how transitioning from the 4-3 to the 3-4 transpires, AND if any of our NEWLY Drafted players can throw in with some shine in that process.

toffee

Reaction score
Woolen, lock down CB prospects are hard to come by. Woolen is as raw as any CB prospect, but so Sherm-nesque.
Charles and Abe, our new bookends.
KW3, can he do it against the pros?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Going to agree with scutter on this. The move to 3-4 is the big thing to watch.
3-4 is supposed to be better against the pass. It didn't feel like we had the personnel for it.
This next game won't tell us much. But I want to see the 1s vs 1s in this new D.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pat Kirwan wrote a book called "Take your eye off the ball" partly about how to notice what's going on during the game.

Offense
Pay attention to personnel packages. Watch the subs as they come on the field and if you recognize the positions based on the jersey numbers then it gets easy to track what personnel we're running:
- 11 (1 RB 1 TE 3 WR) base
- 12 (1 RB 2 TE 2 WR) +run -pass
- 10 (1 RB 0 TE 4 WR) +pass -run
- 02 (0 RB 2 TE 3 WR) qb mobility

Next, look at the defensive coverage vs. your personnel package to see where you have the advantage. If they are playing cover two vs. your 12 personnel then they're daring you to run on them. If they are playing cover 1 vs. 10 personnel then they're daring you to take shots.

Then it mostly comes down to the QB play - do they adjust plays when needed, make quick decisions and throws, and avoid making mistakes. Decisions are more important to me than how pretty the throw looks at this stage because the coaches have tons of times to watch throws in practice. This is the first chance to see decisions that matter vs. a real opponent. Pass protection is a QB play, OL coordination and play calling where you can see if the entire thing is working but usually not whose fault the breakdown was unless it's the RB getting pancaked or something.

For receivers my main emphasis is on whether they catch the ball. Everybody on an NFL roster can run fast. Some have the ability to make difficult catches while most don't. You can always blame ball placement or contact on the part of the defender, but the good receivers in the NFL are very highly paid because they tend to come down with the football when it's thrown in their direction. Give me a receiver who makes the contested catch when it matters over one who looks open deep but then can't adjust to an imperfectly thrown ball in the air, or catches a bunch in practice but then drops them on Sundays.

I don't think you can evaluate the running game very well live, other than just whether it working well or not as a complete package. There's a lot of interconnected parts and if it isn't working in unison then it's easy to blame the wrong thing.

Defense
Pay attention to DBs subbing in and out. More DBs = better coverage on the back end at the expense of run defense: 4 DBs base, 5 DBs nickel, 6 DBs dime, 7 DBs bandit. Once the defense lines up count the safeties deep to see if it's cover 1, 2 or 3.

In a pass rush situation look at who is getting reps on the Cheetah package (2 OLB + 2 DE + 1 DT): Harris/QJeff/Ford/Nwosu/Taylor are the starters. What kind of pre-snap movements did we make to confuse the QB, did we blitz, and did we generate pressure? If they have a receiving TE then how are we covering them - strong safety, nickel corner or outside linebacker?

In a run defense situation look at whether the DEs are playing 1 gap (lined up on the inside of their guard) or 2 gap (lined up over top of the guard), and how the ILBs are lined up behind them to support those gaps. 1 gap DEs should be penetrating upfield in those gaps to try to make contact with the runner early, 2 gap DEs should be "guarding" both of their gaps.

CB play is straightforward; were they pressing or playing off man and did they stay with their guy. Was the CB handing the receiver off to a safety as part of zone coverage, or if it was man coverage did they keep inside leverage throughout the route.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
QB is obvious. Cross and Lucas when they are in. How the rookie corners look in man coverage and with them getting so much work, pray they stay healthy through a pre-season game.

keasley45

Reaction score
Interested to see how our reserve backers do. It's arguably the position group with the least, serviceable depth. If one of our stars goes down...

Hoping to catch a bright spot here.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I’ll be watching a lot of Cross and Walker offensively and Woolen/Bryant on D. I want to see who’s hungry for a roster spot

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For me the list is too long, individual player wise.

I really would rather watch and simply form impressions generally about the O as a unit, and what the new D looks like. It’s also really early and many starters won’t play or will be quite limited, and what is played will be very limited.

More specifically though it will be nice to watch the drafted players who get reps as the news about several of them is encouraging.

If forced to pick a player(s) on either side of the ball then on O- Lock, on D- Bryant & Woolen.

Tonight we get to watch Seahawks football (y)(y).

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My guy was Lock. I thought overall he looked calm, cool, collected in the pocket. Made some nice, definitive throws on the money. He had one throw in the back of the endzone that wasn't the best touch but that would be a difficult throw for most QBs in the league. I am not an X's and O's guy so I don't know what happened on that last play where he got blown up from his blind side, coughed up the ball and gave it back to the Steelers for what ultimately was their game winning drive.

However, I noticed that blitzer appeared unblocked. Was it on Drew to survey the defense and call out that blind side free player? Roll someone over to pick up that blitz? I have no idea. I need someone a lot smarter than me to tell me if that was on him or not there.

Otherwise, I give him a solid B. Personally, Smith didn't wow me. Not that Lock did either but between the two I am taking Lock. Especially that he's younger, more mobile, has the better arm, and let's face it, hasn't had the opportunity to play with the starters like Geno has all training camp and this first preseason game.

Stats between the two were close, but Lock had the 2 TDs.

Smith: 10/15 passing for 101 yards. 0 TD's, 1 Sack

Lock: 11/15 passing for 102 yard. 2 TD's, 2 Sacks

Lock seemed to go through his progressions well, looks poised in the pocket and overall looks like the man for the job.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I didn't sign up to watch anyone in particular but what I noticed is Ray Roberts is exactly correct in his statements that once Charles Cross has his hands on you, you're not making a play. Cross looked VERY solid and moved quite well. Good feet and technique. I believe that we have our LT of the future.

I should add that Jake Curran looked solid at RT but weak at RG. He should stay outside.

Last edited: