Wilson wanted to go to a city that "Wants to Win"

Mase

Reaction score
-- As I have said before, Russell lost me when he started the Icon talk. To be fair, I have never really liked QBs, and am a defensive guy at heart. We may lose week one, and may struggle this year, but I am frankly glad he is gone.

-- Having said that, this is over analysis of his remarks. I would argue he is simply saying he didn't want to end up somewhere, that lacks a commitment, or capacity for winning. Whether it be bad ownership or whatever. If he said I wanted to win and that will never happen in Seattle, then all this pearl grabbing would make sense. But honestly, I think he is just pumping up the Donks as committed contenders. Just remember that a compliment to one is not an insult to the other.

-- I still want to see him limp off the field with a severely damaged ego on that Monday night, but that will be tough.

Mase

Boohman14

Reaction score
Wilson was an important piece of our Superbowl run. But what wasn't lost on most decent sports reporters was that Wilson's rookie contract helped us afford the other pieces of that championship team. Once he went after a significant piece of the cap it became difficult to retain talent. Couple that with some gawd awful trades and poor drafts and here we are.
He's gone to another team and is trying to hype up the fans of Denver. I took his comments as nothing more than justification on why "he chose" Denver over other teams Seattle wanted to trade him to. I didn't feel it was a slight on Seattle.
To me he's just another QB on another team. I think he'll have about three good seasons before we notice a significant decline. He's never been adapt in taking what the defense offers and relies on his escape ability and big arm. He's is noticeably slower but still an effective runner. I think Denver is going to find that his deep drops were a big reason he was often hurried and sacked.
I hope he does ok but I don't think he's the answer for Denver alone. I gotta wonder if he can stay healthy in these later seasons. I expect the AFC West DCs will have him figured out by the second half of the season.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Having said that, this is over analysis of his remarks. I would argue he is simply saying he didn't want to end up somewhere, that lacks a commitment, or capacity for winning. Whether it be bad ownership or whatever. If he said I wanted to win and that will never happen in Seattle, then all this pearl grabbing would make sense. But honestly, I think he is just pumping up the Donks as committed contenders. Just remember that a compliment to one is not an insult to the other.

These are my thoughts on the matter verbatim. We are an overly sensitive fanbase no question.

Just like the other 31 fanbases.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Having said that, this is over analysis of his remarks. I would argue he is simply saying he didn't want to end up somewhere, that lacks a commitment, or capacity for winning. Whether it be bad ownership or whatever. If he said I wanted to win and that will never happen in Seattle, then all this pearl grabbing would make sense. But honestly, I think he is just pumping up the Donks as committed contenders. Just remember that a compliment to one is not an insult to the other.

This.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
Russel Wilson wanted to goto a team that was in a better position to win in the near future, while also willing to pay him dollars, lots of dollars. That is the bottom line. The Broncos have a very strong defense and Denver is hoping that with Wilson, they can win a Super Bowl. Wilson is hoping that with a strong defense and a organization that will do what he wants (give him money and competitive team), he will achieve his objectives. Lots of money and fame.

If the Broncos are smart, they play Wilson for two years, and trade him away, or cut him. Not sure if there was already an agreement in place, but paying a qb 50 million a year to throw a football is for rich and insane people. lol

The Broncos had tons of picks, so this doesn't look so terrible for Denver. They want to win the Super Bowl and they hope Wilson can work his magic. Is his magic gone, or will he reignite his dominance? We shall see.

If Russel Wilson wanted to goto a team that was in a better position to win the Super Bowl, he would of wanted to goto the Patriots, but since there is no way, that organization was willing to pay him 30+ million dollars a year, that's not the team he selected.

Bill Belichick would of loved to have Wilson, but Wilson wasn't interested. No money, no honey is what the pimps say.

Wilson helped the Seahawks win their first Super Bowl, and now I hope with all the draft picks he helped get the Seahawks, he could help bring the Seahawks their next Super Bowl victory indirectly.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wilson was an important piece of our Superbowl run. But what wasn't lost on most decent sports reporters was that Wilson's rookie contract helped us afford the other pieces of that championship team. Once he went after a significant piece of the cap it became difficult to retain talent. Couple that with some gawd awful trades and poor drafts and here we are.
He's gone to another team and is trying to hype up the fans of Denver. I took his comments as nothing more than justification on why "he chose" Denver over other teams Seattle wanted to trade him to. I didn't feel it was a slight on Seattle.
To me he's just another QB on another team. I think he'll have about three good seasons before we notice a significant decline. He's never been adapt in taking what the defense offers and relies on his escape ability and big arm. He's is noticeably slower but still an effective runner. I think Denver is going to find that his deep drops were a big reason he was often hurried and sacked.
I hope he does ok but I don't think he's the answer for Denver alone. I gotta wonder if he can stay healthy in these later seasons. I expect the AFC West DCs will have him figured out by the second half of the season.
I'd argue that more so than RW cap hits, it was poor drafting and trading that led to our slow decline. The Percy Harvin trade, Graham trade and Jamal Adams trade really set us back. All of these players didn't really fit into the systems we were running at the time, or in Harvin's case he just didn't buy in. Despite this we traded a large amount of capital for players that were mismatches for the system we were trying to run.

In addition to this we've struggled to pick up decent corners in the years following Sherman's departure and we've also haven't had a consistent pass rusher since Frank Clark, our D-Line has been lacking. All of this left a gutted defense that looks to just now be getting its swagger back. This decline was a combination of a lot of things.