Why we shouldn't echo national experts' opinions on our QB

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Gabbert wasn't very good when he played for the 9ers, has his game improved in the past years? Looking over his stats, I didn't watch him play of course, but there's no reason to think he is any better than Geno. Both career backups.
A young Marquise Goodwin was Gabbert's only 9er target I can remember, but I could be wrong.
And I'll guess his game has improved.
I just saw one nice completion in Indy last week.
Ehlinger looked good for the Colts.
Maybe a genius would disrupt the locker room.
If so, the Bucs have had to cope with the GOAT, and a genius.
I'm feeling sorry for Kyle Trask.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Matt Flynn 8 year career, 17 TDs, 11 INTs. 0 TDs for Seattle. 13 TDs were in 2 games for the Packers.
Flynn got the Packers into the playoffs when called upon, a couple different years. He knew their system and could execute it well and did well for them. A system QB who was good in GB's system.

keasley45

Reaction score
Well whats he doing then? Trying to win the super bowl with geno Smith? I have a immaculate record of predictions. Ask anyone here people say I'm borderline clairvoyant

Hasn't this been dropped a thousand times? You don't always have a qb waiting in thr wings when you HAVE to let the one you have go. And just because the guy you want to replace the guy who left isn't available, doesn't mean you go and get whatever Tom, Dick or Harry who is standing around.

You improve the parts of your team that you can improve in the meantime, and get the qb you want when he's there.

None of that has to do with tanking? It's called smart football.

If you were in a loveless marriage, would you not get a divorce because you didn't have a side piece waiting for you?

And if you got a divorce, would you just shack up with the next chick or dude who came along, just so you could have a partner?

Smart guy or gal doesn't screw up twice and makes the next one count.

Doesnt mean your life has to be sh!t in the meantime..

And just because the qb that we will have at the controls for the next 10 years wasn't here in 2022, in the rediculously short 6 month window we were 'shopping', doesn't mean we have to suck in the meantime, or that we want to suck.

Don't get the logic...

keasley45

Reaction score
I may sound like a Geno apologist, but I was dismissive on signing him as our backup. When he enter the Rams game, I switched channel, didn't want to waste time watching Geno WHO. National experts are understandably making Geno the village jester, and all pointed at Pete/John for not drafting a QB this year. I was disappointed by his off season DUI and was even more disappointed when Pete signed a DUI Geno for this season.

That was before I rewatched last year's 3.5 games, and read up a bit more on his last 6.5 games. He was graded 73.9 by PFF for his 3.5 games in 2021, and 90.4 for this preseason. Please allow me to put some perspective on those grades. Here are the QBs that played in conference championship games for the last 16 years.

Some QBs suffered worse PFF season grade or matched Geno's of last 6.5 games, Among them: Mark Sanchez ('09, '10), Russell Wilson ('14), Rex Grossman ('06), Eli Manning ('07), Jay Cutler ('10), Kaep ('12 & '13), JimmyG ('21), Big Ben ('08), Flacco ('08, '12), Peyton ('15), Bortles ('17), McNabb ('08), Favre ('07), Warner ('08) That was 14 QBs and 17 seasons. Folks, Geno's 73.9 wasn't shabby, Wilson was graded exactly the same for 2021.

Not sure if Geno can keep playing at the level of his last 6.5 games, if he could, he certainly wasn't the worst QB to start a season. And we mustn't allow the national experts making a joker out of our starting QB.View attachment 54297
Good points.

You'd think that of all the Fandoms to not subscribe to shallow media bias, ours would one.

After all, we were the laughingstock of the league forever. No matter what move we made (except getting Holmgren and a few other concensus pieces), they were all generally dismissed.

Hiring Pete? He sucked. Seattle's dumb.

Setting a franchise record for roster moves in an offseason? Our FO and rahrah coach suck.

Early drafts? We're idiots.

Trading for Lynch? We have no standards. Traded for a gun toting thug.

Players getting busted for Aderral. Pete cheats and drafts thugs too

Going to the superbowl with a manager qb and defense? Were outdated and Manning is gonna roll us.

Losing 2nd superbowl... Pete made a bad call...

FF several years.

Pete mishandled the offense, Russ wants out.

Russ leaves... Pete sucks. Team has no talent. Team sucks.

Pete nabs Geno. Pete sucks, and Geno sucks.

There's a clear pattern in bias that will always attempt to reset to the default, initial opinion, that despite what this FO creates, it's creations are somehow greater than it.

Geno was a 'broken' no-name brought in to backup our prized creation, but by default, is a zero, appointed by the guy that just somehow benefited from having all of this greatness spring up around him and carry him to one ofnthe best HC runs in NFL history.

To hear the media state it, this team was the equivalent of the immaculate conception. It just happened. Good fortune. Blind luck, lightening in a bottle, whatever. Wasn't a product of brilliance. And as quickly as some fans and the media can take opinion back to that initial perspective... that narrower than a razorblades width of truth, they will.

I hope Geno has the flippn year of his life and just like we did in 2010, he (we) give the doubters a huge middle finger.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I hope Geno has the flippn year of his life and just like we did in 2010, he (we) give the doubters a huge middle finger.
The way Geno played in the last 6.5 games, he was the PeteBall game manager. Not sure if the coach only called safe plays or he controlled himself on making risky throws. But he embraced the role of game manager, and his QB rating was the highest in his career.

A few things I found out in past weeks, Geno didn't lack size, athleticism, or arm strength as his ball velocity matched Wilson's. What Geno lack was his football IQ, and serious lacking in poise under pressure. He may be the type of QB that started making mistakes when the game was tight, time was short, and eyes on him. PeteBall will help his football IQ part, but the poise bit will limit his Wins this season, and prevent him from becoming someone's franchise QB. But hey, he reinvent himself from INT machine to 5TD/1INT QB, may be he will surprise us all with his poise?

Nothing will give me more joy than giving the bird to national media. Go Hawks.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Everyone understands why the national pundits are predicting doom. However, it's absolutely a justifiable perspective to wait and see. Pete has made the right call at QB consistently. He did so at USC. He cut Hass loose at the right time. He found a bridge with TJack that no one else wanted. He had Flynn and Russ push each other. Not to mention drafting shorty at all. Hindsight is 20/20 but 90% of people here disagreed with some/most of those decisions. He may blow this one and be wrong about Geno and Lock. Time will tell. Just think back to the draft pundits after picking RW3 before you write off Pete's current choice. Wonder why Daniel Jeremiah is the only talking head giving Seahawks a chance in Game 1... he's also about the only guy who liked the RW draft pick at the time.
RW is now 33 and has lost a step. Nobody disputes that. PC is now older and no one wants to admit he has also lost a step.
Just barely on ALL named. NONE are worth the $$/Picks it would have taken.
ummm Geno is making $3.5 m and up to $7 m with incentives

and they were FAs so no picks lol

W

Welshers

ummm Geno is making $3.5 m and up to $7 m with incentives

and they were FAs so no picks lol
Carolina gave up virtually nothing for Mayfield. The Seahawks didn't even have to pay Geno anything and bring him back. If people think we wouldnt be more competitive with Baker than that's just insane. If they wanted to win now we'd have given a measely 5th round pick for Baker to at least make the season interesting

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Sweet! Geno is better than Brady, Manning, Burrow, Mahomes, Brees, and Rodgers!!!!!!!!

Damn.....I was wrong about him sucking. Thanks for enlightening me, Toffee

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sweet! Geno is better than Brady, Manning, Burrow, Mahomes, Brees, and Rodgers!!!!!!!!

Damn.....I was wrong about him sucking. Thanks for enlightening me, Toffee
No one said that, and this shtick where you throw up the laziest and most absurd strawman you can think of is dead tired.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
You could be right, but this homer is determine to be happy and supportive before the reality or season starts.
There is NO reason to believe you are wrong. Until Geno proves this year that he is not a good QB there is no reason to believe you are wrong IMO

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
There is NO reason to believe you are wrong. Until Geno proves this year that he is not a good QB there is no reason to believe you are wrong IMO
I agree with ya Rock, I am basing my statement on Geno's years of poor record and his recent 6.5 games. Who knows which Geno will show up? Who knows if the 6.5 game Geno can play a whole season at that level? But Geno did good in those 6.5 games, we shall be a OK if he could play a whole season that way.

What I am preaching is us on dot net to give this "6.5 game" Geno a chance, when the national media already dismissed him. That's all I am hoping.

Go Geno!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Then what's the point of pointing out PFF stats?
Simply using a grade from PFF to contextualize a sample of play does not equate to saying "Geno is better than *list of quarterbacks.*"

This doesn't need to be explained. You're deliberately being cartoonishly obtuse, and have been for your entire post history.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Well whats he doing then? Trying to win the super bowl with geno Smith? I have a immaculate record of predictions. Ask anyone here people say I'm borderline clairvoyant
LOL Now it may be true that many here have claimed that you are "Borderline", but that "Clairvoyant" thingy? yeah, I think that's just something y'all pulled out of your......Um...Thin Air LOLOLOLOL

Mizak

Reaction score
Simply using a grade from PFF to contextualize a sample of play does not equate to saying "Geno is better than *list of quarterbacks.*"

This doesn't need to be explained. You're deliberately being cartoonishly obtuse, and have been for your entire post history.
Perhaps you need a reminder:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

Thanks @Maelstrom787!

More telling was Wilson's grades when he played Peteball, ie when we were winning conference championship games, vs grades he received when he moved away from Peteball to RussBall. His grades went up, and our record went down, ok what I just said is definitely a simplistic statement as the whole picture was more complex, ie our drafting underwhelmed (on Pete and John), the exodus of defense star started (on Pete/Russ romance). In the end, one could understand why Russ was tired of being call the system QB, game manager, and no votes on MVP. He wanted to be the rhinestone cowboy, he's gonna be where the lights are shinin' on him. Team records? what team records?

Skillset wise Russ is the perfect Peteball QB, oh well.