Who is Russell Wilson?

acer1240

Reaction score
He's a guy that wants to be THE rock star. He wants to be Tom Brady. Thanks for the SB but if I have to see another subway commercial like that I will have to dig my own eyes out and then I would have to sue. Hope it doesn't come to that.

The problem with Russ is that he is presenting himself as an awesome human being with the children's hospital, etc... But it somehow does not feel genuine.

He's trying too hard.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He's a guy that wants to be THE rock star. He wants to be Tom Brady. Thanks for the SB but if I have to see another subway commercial like that I will have to dig my own eyes out and then I would have to sue. Hope it doesn't come to that.

The problem with Russ is that he is presenting himself as an awesome human being with the children's hospital, etc... But it somehow does not feel genuine.

He's trying too hard.

I said that on page one, he's now a try hard.

Before it was nerdy, cute and corny. Now it's full blown phony...........and I think Subway ditched the Wilson commercials.

W

Welshers

Does anyone know if Ciara ever had premarital sex? Did Russ marry a sinner? We know his ex wife definitely sinned (and it was Golden)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Ciara ever had premarital sex? Did Russ marry a sinner? We know his ex wife definitely sinned (and it was Golden)

She's got a child with a rapper, so unless it was immaculate conception I assume sex was had.

Don't you remember their public announcement as born again virgins? I didn't know that was thing, but here you go.

Own The West

Reaction score
I don't know who Russ is now, only who he was. We got in the habit of calling him a future HOF QB, but that was based on his potential. I don't know if he'll ever reach that potential now. All his pretty rainbows that made SportsCenter will be forgotten and his legacy may be that of a system quarterback that won a Superbowl with the LOB.

I think he'll join the ring of honor some day though. He was the face of the franchise during a championship era.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There is a lot of Russell hate, not just here, but around the league in general. And I admit to having some myself, but I'm conflicted, because I remember some amazing plays. Will never forget the Atlanta game that we lost in his first full year. The two Superbowls and the Greenbay playoff game we won with an onside kick and a deep pass to Kearse. Those were giddy times to be a Seahawk fan. But I also remember the frustration with his sandlot style of play as he lost a step. And Mr Unlimited is a very unlikeable guy. He's also the winingest QB in Seahawk's history. It's just weird to have such disparate feelings about a player, a player that seems to be nose diving and seeing people kick him when he's down seems petty and mean, but they guy keeps doing things that are soooooo mockable.

Maybe he deserves it. Maybe he's a self centered jerk, I don't know. That's why I ask, Who is Russell Wilson?
I'm baffled by the Russ hate. The dude played his ass off for ten years and at ten years in a career you can count on one hand the QB's who had a first ten years as good as his in the history of the NFL. Without Russ we don't have nearly the success we had. We don't win a SB, we don't make two trips and we don't win 10 games every year outside a kicker missing a chipshot one year. The dude is a monster in the community and has a teammate as well. Wagner was just asked to list his favorite and best teammates of all time and guess who he listed? Russ

I think a lot of the stuf being said is utter bullshit. He definitely brings some of it on himself because he's so corny and I get that, I clown him too. But we will kill his character for things we don't know and other guys can quit on their team, quit mid-game etc and we don't scrutinize them nearly as hard. I don't get it. I'm all for rooting for him to fail now that he's gone but acting as if he was trash or wasn't a massive part of the teams success his whole time here is dumb.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
I'm baffled by the Russ hate. The dude played his ass off for ten years and at ten years in a career you can count on one hand the QB's who had a first ten years as good as his in the history of the NFL. Without Russ we don't have nearly the success we had. We don't win a SB, we don't make two trips and we don't win 10 games every year outside a kicker missing a chipshot one year. The dude is a monster in the community and has a teammate as well. Wagner was just asked to list his favorite and best teammates of all time and guess who he listed? Russ

I think a lot of the stuf being said is utter bullshit. He definitely brings some of it on himself because he's so corny and I get that, I clown him too. But we will kill his character for things we don't know and other guys can quit on their team, quit mid-game etc and we don't scrutinize them nearly as hard. I don't get it. I'm all for rooting for him to fail now that he's gone but acting as if he was trash or wasn't a massive part of the teams success his whole time here is dumb.

You ignore any evidence to the contrary, anyway.

keasley45

Reaction score

I think the majority of the hate is a result of him slandering the team, FO, PC on the way out the door and the year before, throwing his o-line under the bus before he tried to make it all better by saying he needed to play better as well.

Russ knew how effective he was at reading defenses. He knew he was as much to blame as anyone else for the offenses struggles. Yet, in order to max his payday, he threw shade at the very people who allowed him to be great in the first place. And why? Because like smart football people and business minds, they saw his ceiling and started to consider moving on.

THATS why the hate is there. What he did ... zero integrity. Zero gratitude. Zero respect. And the fact that so many of his former teammates have come out to support the team and subtly say 'I told you so' about him and his character / play, is proof enough that the feelings aren't misplaced.
Russ put embers under the bridges while he was here and then burned them down on his way out of town.

And if it isn't 'smack your momma in the face' obvious by now that the offenses that Russ ran weren't REMOTELY as dynamic as the one Geno commands today... at 8 weeks in...and that Russ necessitated Peteball (ie. Russ and his success was a product of a scheme that helped him maximize his ability) and all the good and bad that resulted from it, I don't know what to say.

He landed in the ONE place in the NFL where a he could succeed as he did and then tried to torch the place when he left.

Last edited:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
I think the majority of the hate is a result of him slandering the team, FO, PC on the way out the door and the year before, throwing his o-line under the bus before he tried to make it all better by saying he needed to play better as well.

Russ knew how effective he was at reading defenses. He knew he was as much to blame as anyone else for the offenses struggles. Yet, in order to max his payday, he threw shade at the very people who allowed him to be great in the first place. And why? Because like smart football people and business minds, they saw his ceiling and started to consider moving on.

THATS why the hate is there. What he did ... zero integrity. Zero gratitude. Zero respect. And the fact that so many of his former teammates have come out to support the team and subtly say 'I told you so' about him and his character / play, is proof enough that the feelings aren't misplaced.
Russ put embers under the bridges while he was here and then burned them down on his way out of town.

It's honestly not even worth typing this up. PNW25 knows exactly why people dislike Russ (fans and players alike). He chooses to ignore all of it. He will point to one or two quotes of a single interview to back his opinion, and write off dozens of other interviews/comments that oppose his opinion.

He's heavily invested in loving Russ. It's also why he was a big supporter of Fade's Russ>Pete campaign.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's honestly not even worth typing this up. PNW25 knows exactly why people dislike Russ (fans and players alike). He chooses to ignore all of it. He will point to one or two quotes of a single interview to back his opinion, and write off dozens of other interviews/comments that oppose his opinion.

He's heavily invested in loving Russ. It's also why he was a big supporter of Fade's Russ>Pete campaign.
I already said I get some of it. He's corny and is an easy target. But people acting like he had nothing to do with the success the team had is bizarre. We've had two teammates come out and talk shit about him. Sherman and Baldwin...both have a history of being clowns. Multiple players have spoken out in his defense including Wagner and Lockett just this week.

bileever

Reaction score

I think a lot of the stuf being said is utter bullshit.
It's not baffling to me at all. Russ turned his back on the fan base. He didn't want to play in Seattle any more. He looked at all the love he got from his adopted home and the best fans in the NFL, and said, I don't care about any of that. (Not one Seattle radio host or journalist blamed Russ for that SB interception. After throwing 4 in the NFC championship game. In any other place, he would have gotten a lot more blame.)

What Russ did was worse than A-Rod because you expect a player to get as much money as you can. Texas gave him a lot more than the Mariners could pay. Russ could have had the same money he got in Denver here. It wasn't Ken Griffey because he wasn't going home for sentimental reasons. It was worse than even LeBron leaving Cleveland because LeBron wanted to win a championship and the Cavaliers at that time were a horribly mismanaged franchise. Russ already won a Super Bowl in Seattle, and it wasn't like the Seahawks were perennial losers. And LeBron said he would go back one day, and he did.

What Russ did was very unusual--very few franchise quarterbacks choose to leave. The ones that do leave, did under very unusual circumstances: Brady, Manning, Favre. They didn't force themselves out with threats. And for what? Denver is that great of an organization? So he can have his own office and hire his own quarterback coach? So that he doesn't have to be coached any more?

And it wasn't just this year, but the last several years of his bullshit, complaining about the coaches, his offensive line, threatening not to re-sign and demanding to be traded. He and his agent making a big deal about Schneider going to scout Josh Allen, or being interested in other college QBs--isn't that what GMs are supposed to do? Going on the Rich Eisen show and basically saying, "It's me or Pete." He created the three-ring circus, all for the purpose of forcing his way out of Seattle to a place of his choice.

What he did was a big F-you to Seattle, and so, of course, it's not at all baffling that the fans are pissed and don't wish him well. It's funny that a guy so concerned with his image didn't see this coming.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He’s a guy that throw’s teammates under the bus and wants to be Tom Brady but with diminished skills he sadly became the black Doug Flutie. He’s chunky, selfish and flat out bad at the quarterback position right now. Pete Carroll made him good early in his career but Russ became selfish and un-coachable. Nerve damage in the finger and zero mobility. If you’re 5-9” you need to be able to scoot to find passing lanes and he just isn’t physically capable any longer guy. He’s bottom 5 and sharply worsening.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's not baffling to me at all. Russ turned his back on the fan base. He didn't want to play in Seattle any more. He looked at all the love he got from his adopted home and the best fans in the NFL, and said, I don't care about any of that. (Not one Seattle radio host or journalist blamed Russ for that SB interception. After throwing 4 in the NFC championship game. In any other place, he would have gotten a lot more blame.)

What Russ did was worse than A-Rod because you expect a player to get as much money as you can. Texas gave him a lot more than the Mariners could pay. Russ could have had the same money he got in Denver here. It wasn't Ken Griffey because he wasn't going home for sentimental reasons. It was worse than even LeBron leaving Cleveland because LeBron wanted to win a championship and the Cavaliers at that time were a horribly mismanaged franchise. Russ already won a Super Bowl in Seattle, and it wasn't like the Seahawks were perennial losers. And LeBron said he would go back one day, and he did.

What Russ did was very unusual--very few franchise quarterbacks choose to leave. The ones that do leave, did under very unusual circumstances: Brady, Manning, Favre. They didn't force themselves out with threats. And for what? Denver is that great of an organization? So he can have his own office and hire his own quarterback coach? So that he doesn't have to be coached any more?

And it wasn't just this year, but the last several years of his bullshit, complaining about the coaches, his offensive line, threatening not to re-sign and demanding to be traded. He and his agent making a big deal about Schneider going to scout Josh Allen, or being interested in other college QBs--isn't that what GMs are supposed to do? Going on the Rich Eisen show and basically saying, "It's me or Pete." He created the three-ring circus, all for the purpose of forcing his way out of Seattle to a place of his choice.

What he did was a big F-you to Seattle, and so, of course, it's not at all baffling that the fans are pissed and don't wish him well. It's funny that a guy so concerned with his image didn't see this coming.
Alright this is a reasonable take. I don't agree with all of it but I can see where you're coming from. What gets old is the Russ sucked bullshit most anti-Russ people post.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think who Russell USED to be was kind of a nerdy super focused, worked his ass off and was generally liked by his teammates even if he was corny, it was all in good nature.

But who is Russell now? I honestly think he doesn't even know. I think once he married Ciara he became a try-hard. Trying too hard to be something he's not. So now he's this DangerRuss alter ego who pretends he's slick, suave, cool and is too focused on things like his image, legacy and other self interest.

Ciara ruined him man. Not all her fault, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Russell's focus changed after he married her, and has been chasing other distractions since.
Even for me - if you want to remember RW in better times. Pre Ciara. Pre huge contract extension.

go here:

THIS was the dude that we loved. It was awesome. Then things changed. Largent - I would agree with everything you said.

Having said that - the whole RW3 situation has gotten SO bad - I'm like 99% over it. The whole world is kicking the crap out of him 10X more effectively that I ever could.

Go even watch 30 seconds of the video. The part with the Groucho glasses on. Too funny.

Anyhow, answer to the OP's question? I agree with Largent. Even RW3 doesn't know. And honestly - it's just starting to not matter at this point, isn't it?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Alright this is a reasonable take. I don't agree with all of it but I can see where you're coming from. What gets old is the Russ sucked bullshit most anti-Russ people post.
Well Geno did beat his ass out. There is that to think about guy

keasley45

Reaction score

Russ was a great running qb who, when he could keep offenses off balance with his legs was dangerous. As a read and react passer, he was never good.

Russ here was a slightly better version of Russ last week in London. Nothing fir most of the game and then enough magic at the end of a half to win a game that a great defense was able to keep close.

And why? Uptempo, simple reads, and he ran enough to pick up a couple of key first downs.

Bud, there are articles written by journalists heading into the playoffs our SB year and the year following stating plainly that Russ had developed a habit of being less effective at the end of seasons and in the playoffs. That was 2014. It hasn't changed. Don't get annoyed by the people who aren't drunk off his highlights and see the complete picture ( good and bad). Be annoyed with him..

And if the haters are actually just hating, it will be the biggest fall from grace a HOF qb ever experienced probably in the history of the league.. and without explanation. After all, he was supposed to be shedding the shackles of Seattle to ride off into the sunset in Denver. Better franchise, better coach, better team. The implosion happened when 3 showed up.

As nice as it would be at times for 2+2 to equal 5, it will only ever be 4.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Even for me - if you want to remember RW in better times. Pre Ciara. Pre huge contract extension.

go here:

THIS was the dude that we loved. It was awesome. Then things changed. Largent - I would agree with everything you said.

Having said that - the whole RW3 situation has gotten SO bad - I'm like 99% over it. The whole world is kicking the crap out of him 10X more effectively that I ever could.

Go even watch 30 seconds of the video. The part with the Groucho glasses on. Too funny.

Anyhow, answer to the OP's question? I agree with Largent. Even RW3 doesn't know. And honestly - it's just starting to not matter at this point, isn't it?

Yeah I wonder if the Ciara thing changed everything. Things did seem to get weird after that. I think internally the dude is struggling at the moment. Call me a Russ apologist or whatever but I don't think he's a bad guy and sort of hope he figures it out and the Broncos keep losing lol

keasley45

Reaction score
Yeah I wonder if the Ciara thing changed everything. Things did seem to get weird after that. I think internally the dude is struggling at the moment. Call me a Russ apologist or whatever but I don't think he's a bad guy and sort of hope he figures it out and the Broncos keep losing lol

Ciara was a symptom. She wasn't the cause. The negative critique of Russ and his tendency to twist reality to suit his own purposes goes back to his NC State days.