• Shane Waldron

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 17.7%

• Total voters

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Head coaches rarely start out as such.

Generally speaking they become head coaches because they are good OC/DC.

So IMO, there’s a few good OCs out there.

What I'm trying to say is eventually a good O.C will become a head coach. You don't want a relentless cycle of offensive approaches.

This is how the NFL is working now days. You want one a head coach that calls the plays so the offense will consistent for the tenure of that coach.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
FWIW Kalen Deboer postponed his radio interview that was supposed to be this AM on KJR.
Yeah, I’m thinking UW has to be worried about DeBoer might entertain other offers….

The Seahawks have probably reached out to DeBoer already.

Alabama has probably reached out to DeBoer already.

The Chargers have probably reached out to DeBoer already.

The Panthers have probably reached out to DeBoer already.

The Commanders have probably reached out to DeBoer already.

And the Raiders have probably also reached out to DeBoer already.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There was a report from a Bama fan that there was a scheduled private jet flight from SeaTac to Tuscaloosa yesterday.
A tough follow for anyone, to replace Saban.

I like DeBoer, and he would do a fantastic job at Alabama but man, succeeding Saban is no easy feat.

And in order to even match Saban, you need to win multiple championships and possibly back to back to back.

That’s a difficult measuring stick that anyone that takes the Alabama job will be scrutinized for…

hawkpride

Reaction score
I voted other, what about one or two of our best former players taken the leap to the top. My choice would be Kam C. for DC (I'm sure the tackling problem would be no more). And if you can wrap your mind around it....
Sherm for HC and someone he would bring in for OC.
These kinda guys would bring instant respect with them, are the young age still that players would definitely relate to. I believe they would further continue with Petes culture and philosophy in their own way.
It's an outside the box thought but maybe have the injection of various skills and traits that this team so needs.

I understand most players could not make the transition, however a vast majority of Coaches were former players that went thru the steps, asst coach, special teams coach ect. before becoming a head coach, but I also think there are some very intelligent and possibility exceptions to the rule, as there always is.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
A tough follow for anyone, to replace Saban.

I like DeBoer, and he would do a fantastic job at Alabama but man, succeeding Saban is no easy feat.

And in order to even match Saban, you need to win multiple championships and possibly back to back to back.

That’s a difficult measuring stick that anyone that takes the Alabama job will be scrutinized for…
Can you imagine how quickly he's going to get the hook if he struggles out of the gate? Tremendous pressure.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I voted other, what about one or two of our best former players taken the leap to the top. My choice would be Kam C. for DC (I'm sure the tackling problem would be no more). And if you can wrap your mind around it....
Sherm for HC and someone he would bring in for OC.
These kinda guys would bring instant respect with them, are the young age still that players would definitely relate to. I believe they would further continue with Petes culture and philosophy in their own way.
It's an outside the box thought but maybe have the injection of various skills and traits that this team so needs.

I understand most players could not make the transition, however a vast majority of Coaches were former players that when thru the steps, asst coach, special teams coach ect. before becoming a head coach, but I also think there are some very intelligent and possibility exceptions to the rule, as there always is.
Only problem is the Hawks don't really seem to have any ex-players in the pipeline.

NoGain

Reaction score
I've been thinking about who I might want as our next head coach, and the truth of the matter is I'm really not that convicted on anyone. Harbaugh seems like the safest bet because his track record of success wherever he's gone is hard to deny. I just wonder if his odd and abrasive style might put off the ownership group and JS, though I really have nothing much to back this up. Dan Quinn seems like somewhat of a safe pick, he's a strong defensive guy, and I think he's gotten a bit unfairly maligned for things like that SB loss where his OC Shanahan inexplicably kept playing the game like it was close when they had a big lead that could have been better protected.

I guess you could go with a young hotshot OC, but that still seems a bit of a crapshoot.

I just don't know. I'm pretty much hoping that JS and the ownership group gets it right.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Only problem is the Hawks don't really seem to have any ex-players in the pipeline.
And not every ex superstar wants to return to the game to be a coach.

Most all have families now and are settled into new day to day roles with their families.

Not easy and many spouses wouldn’t be thrilled at their partners saying, “Okay, I’m going back to a 7 days a week, 365 days a year never ending grind!”

Cause honestly, the coaches have to be more in tune with the football operations from the active regular to the off season in scouting and talent evaluation….

I wouldn’t want to leave my wife and kids for this job. Not everyone is cut out to do this, especially NFL players that already given their bodies up for playing and the time lost with their families, only to do it even more so and all over again.

The coaching grind and leading a program is insane….

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've been thinking about who I might want as our next head coach, and the truth of the matter is I'm really not that convicted on anyone. Harbaugh seems like the safest bet because his track record of success wherever he's gone is hard to deny. I just wonder if his odd and abrasive style might put off the ownership group and JS, though I really have nothing much to back this up. Dan Quinn seems like somewhat of a safe pick, he's a strong defensive guy, and I think he's gotten a bit unfairly maligned for things like that SB loss where his OC Shanahan inexplicably kept playing the game like it was close when they had a big lead that could have been better protected.

I guess you could go with a young hotshot OC, but that still seems a bit of a crapshoot.

I just don't know. I'm pretty much hoping that JS and the ownership group gets it right.
I'd bet a lot of money that it won't be Harbaugh. First off, Pete's still in the building, and they've had a very public rift going back to college. It would be like putting two roosters in the same hen house. It would be an insult to Pete to hire his biggest personal rival to replace him.

Secondly, John Schneider just got through working for one of the most controlling head coaches in the game in an unconventional HC/GM relationship. Now that he's finally been extricated from that situation, do you honestly think that he'll want to bring in not only another control freak but one who as you said has a very abrasive style?

Aircrew

Reaction score
I'd bet a lot of money that it won't be Harbaugh. First off, Pete's still in the building, and they've had a very public rift going back to college. It would be like putting two roosters in the same hen house. It would be an insult to Pete to hire his biggest personal rival to replace him.

Secondly, John Schneider just got through working for one of the most controlling head coaches in the game in an unconventional HC/GM relationship. Now that he's finally been extricated from that situation, do you honestly think that he'll want to bring in not only another control freak but one who as you said has a very abrasive style?
That's exactly my take as well. If I grew another eyeball I would be less surprised than if John hired Harbaugh.

chrispy

Reaction score
I know one absolute fact about the Seahawks next Head Coach:
There will be a minimum of 12 months of threads on this site preaching he was the wrong person.

If the new-hire turns out to be Jim Mora#2, the threads will stop in a year+/-. If he turns out to be Pete Carroll#2, they'll continue for 14 years.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I'm hoping they consider Mike McDonald, DC of the Ravens. Or Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions.
Something DIFFERENT.
I have said multiple times that these are the best two options. One of the brightest offensive minds and one of the brightest defensive minds in the league.

Toxic_Luke

Reaction score
My 3 favorites to be Seattle's HC are in this order:
1- Ben Johnson
2- Bobby Slowik
3- Dave Canales

It would be "ok" with other names, but these are my favorites.

I think we need an offensive HC, the league has changed a while ago and we are left behind