Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Shane Waldron

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 17.7%

• Total voters

hoxrox

Reaction score
Just one more note on the importance of what we are calling culture.

How often do you hear of successful teams having negative culture issues?

You don't. Because winning cures all.

Which is the better path to a winning culture? YOU BE YOU or DO YOUR JOB?

I believe that excessive YBY ends up with what we saw from the Seahawks to end the season - players making business decisions and playing soft, and mistakes galore by players who were having a lot of fun at practice but maybe not focusing enough to absorb their assignments. I don't know exactly why but these guys were constantly looking flat, hesitant, and confused.

I don't think this type of crap happens near as much in a DYJ culture. I think that you just need to win games and the players will embrace a DYJ culture of accountability and raise their performance even higher.

Besides, if you aren't winning games as a a HC you won't be here long anyway. If you aren't winning, it's Next Man Up.
A lot of this depends on the players. I don't think the LOB personalities would have flourished under a "Do your Job" culture. Lynch, Earl, ADB, etc. ADB, for example, hated Harbaugh with a passion.

"You be You" is meant to maximize personal talent, but you need players that are internally driven with chips on their shoulders.

The business decision makers on this year's team don't have that. They got paid and got lazy.

renofox

Reaction score
A lot of this depends on the players. I don't think the LOB personalities would have flourished under a "Do your Job" culture. Lynch, Earl, ADB, etc. ADB, for example, hated Harbaugh with a passion.

"You be You" is meant to maximize personal talent, but you need players that are internally driven with chips on their shoulders.

The business decision makers on this year's team don't have that. They got paid and got lazy.
Good point. LOB members were extremely self-motivating and developed their own internal culture of accountability separately from the coaches.

I think those types of players are becoming less common, though. It was a fluke to get lucky and have them all together. Current player culture means it will take a lot more luck to recreate that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I just read a pretty good article that might want those that are pining for Dan Quinn to pause and give some thought to the potential hire. Here's a few snippets:

• Hiring Dan Quinn as head coach for the Seahawks may not be ideal since he has struggled against the offensive schemes of the Rams and 49ers.
  • Shanahan's knowledge of Quinn's defensive rules poses a potential threat to the Seahawks' defense.
  • Quinn's defense in Dallas performed well overall, but they struggled against teams that utilized presnap motion, a staple of the Shanahan coaching tree.
Unfortunately, not long after Quinn’s name turned into a talking point, the Green Bay Packers annihilated his defense for 48 points and six touchdowns in a big playoff upset.

Those offensive fireworks came against Matt LaFleur, a branch of the Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay coaching tree. This raises the question whether Quinn is the best candidate for the Seahawks after all, considering they have to go through the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers twice a year in the NFC West.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I am reading all over the place we are hiring Vrabel today. Zero idea on credibility and probably nonsense.

James in PA

Reaction score
My updated big 4 are: Harbaugh, Johnson, Slowik, McDonald. Really hoping we land one of these dudes. There are others I like too, but these 4 really stand out to me.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not a fan of Vrabel..he is a much lesser Pete. He did nothing in Tennessee and his team got worse every year. Drafting Willis and Levis..yikes! He left that team in ruins. No to the Patriot way in Seattle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My updated big 4 are: Harbaugh, Johnson, Slowik, McDonald. Really hoping we land one of these dudes. There are others I like too, but these 4 really stand out to me.
Harbaugh would be by far the riskiest hire of any of the candidates simply due to his abrasive personality, and I have heard zero interest being expressed by the Hawks. I don't know why JS would want to bring in a guy like him who is going to insist on running his own show immediately after breaking free from Pete's oversight.

James in PA

Reaction score
Harbaugh would be by far the riskiest hire of any of the candidates simply due to his abrasive personality, and I have heard zero interest being expressed by the Hawks. I don't know why JS would want to bring in a guy like him who is going to insist on running his own show immediately after breaking free from Pete's oversight.
He is a high risk high reward candidate. While he seems to be a D Bag, his players love him and he has a proven track record of winning and turning around the program wherever he goes. I would not be shocked at all to see him lead any NFL team to a conference championship game within 2-3 years of being hired.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Just curious, the most successful HC of this century is Belichick. Do you consider him a great culture builder? I just want a guy who can get these MEN, who are paid millions of dollars, to do their frickin' jobs well. I really don't care about the kumbaya stroking of feelings that people think is a good culture, without having success, anymore.
If you're implying that Belichick did not build a strong culture, you do not understand the meaning of the word.

Wheetie

Reaction score
If you're implying that Belichick did not build a strong culture, you do not understand the meaning of the word.
Would it make you feel good if I just admit you're so much smarter than me?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I sure hope Vrabel isn't the choice... if so, I'll be very lukewarm on this coming season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He is a high risk high reward candidate. While he seems to be a D Bag, his players love him and he has a proven track record of winning and turning around the program wherever he goes. I would not be shocked at all to see him lead any NFL team to a conference championship game within 2-3 years of being hired.
Not all of his players love him. Sherman and Baldwin didn't have a lot of great things to say about him.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Good point. LOB members were extremely self-motivating and developed their own internal culture of accountability separately from the coaches.

I think those types of players are becoming less common, though. It was a fluke to get lucky and have them all together. Current player culture means it will take a lot more luck to recreate that.
Yeah, it could have been flukey, but they made a concerted effort to go out and get these types of players. ET over Taylor Mays, for example. Pete pestered John to get the Lynch deal done. They actively tried to get these types of players, as a part of the identity they were trying to build.

Then their player acquisition strategy changed... we'll see if John gets back to acquiring these types of players. Spoon is another example of this type of player.

Latest posts