What is the value in the last second snap?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Now that AgentDib has shown this narrative to be a total myth can we just move on?

John63

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":2bb3jl02 said:
Now that AgentDib has shown this narrative to be a total myth can we just move on?

So let me get this straight 1 game proves that it is a myth. LOL sure it does

pinksheets

Reaction score
John63":14bvtn91 said:
Hockey Guy":14bvtn91 said:

Then contradict it with other data.

hawk45

Reaction score
AgentDib":3966q1sk said:
We don't snap it as late as people believe. You just remember the few times each game where there's some confusion and a late snap. When I've charted this in the past for specific games the bulk of the snaps happened with more than 5 seconds on the play clock.

It has nothing to do with Pete wanting to keep his defense off the field, and that's frankly a silly thing to even suggest. A few seconds here and there is a tiny amount that doesn't matter. Keeping the defense off the field is important, but it's done by being efficient on offense and picking up first downs.

The reason why NFL teams do not snap it immediately is they are attempting to gain further information about what the defense is going to do. E.g. If you motion a receiver across the field and nobody follows him then the defense is likely zone rather than man. Offenses also spend time pre-snap making protection calls, and the QB spends time considering an audible to another play if he is getting a look from the defense that warrants it. Once they are ready to snap, varying the cadence and trying some hard counts also allows the QB to slow down the opposing pass rush.

When the Hawks are late to the line it is usually because there was something weird preceding it. A long completion in bounds where they had to hustle down the field, the OC having trouble deciding on the play call, and sometimes even the QB having a hard time relaying the play call. When we brought Marshawn back at the end of 2019 there were a few plays where Russ had to tell him specifically what to do.

I'm a fan of quick snap. Dont let the defense diagnose the play calls.
The trick here is that the offense will have many different plays out of the same formations and motions, whereas the defense has to adjust to what the offense is showing and tip their hands. This is a simplified example, but look at all of the options Oklahoma has with the counter trey here.
Bless this post.

Enhancing the pre snap read is the obvious advantage. It’s mind boggling anyone would engage in the magical thinking that it’s just our silly inexplicable tendency. I think there maybe a small bit of shortening the game but it’s not primary, and not significant.

We do seem to get bitten by this at inopportune moments and those loom frustratingly large. I’d like us to be a bit more calm in those odd end of game circumstances.

But 100% this perception is because of the memorable late game derps. Which is perfectly valid to talk about and want fixed. But treating it as if it’s all the time and is silly old Pete trying to shorten the game doesn’t enhance the conversation

Fade

Reaction score
Confirms what I already knew. After they built the lead, they looked to milk the clock, running it down to single digits nearly every snap in the 2nd half.

Didn't score a lot after this.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
John63":2n96ff7m said:
Hockey Guy":2n96ff7m said:

Yeah, Fade asks for a breakdown for a specific game because he's so sure it will show a whole bunch of last second snaps to bolster this train of thought & then Agent Dib obliges & it shows almost none.

It goes to show people remember what they want to remember facts be damned.

John63

Reaction score
pinksheets":3l60p7r6 said:
John63":3l60p7r6 said:
Hockey Guy":3l60p7r6 said:

Then contradict it with other data.

Ahh no let the op prove it's enough games to prove a pattern. Till then nope.

John63

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":wqwb87h0 said:
John63":wqwb87h0 said:
Hockey Guy":wqwb87h0 said:

Yeah, Fade asks for a breakdown for a specific game because he's so sure it will show a whole bunch of last second snaps to bolster this train of thought & then Agent Dib obliges & it shows almost none.

A to me showing 1 game and acting like that is indicative of all games is at best laughable.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
John63":hy865oqx said:
Hockey Guy":hy865oqx said:
John63":hy865oqx said:
Hockey Guy":hy865oqx said:

A to me showing 1 game and acting like that is indicative of all games is at best laughable.

You seem so sure, just like Fade did with the WFT game, that if he did all the games it would show this perceived pattern of an inordinate amount of last second snaps. It didn't work out so well for Fade is all I'm saying.

& FTR AgentDib showed 2 games in this very thread not 1.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":18o3z1qk said:
Ahh no let the op prove it's enough games to prove a pattern. Till then nope.
You're free to think as you'd like, but to be clear I initially looked at week 7 because that was the first game where Russ looked human after starting the season so strong. If we're investigating why the offense stuttered at times there are answers to be had in that game and they aren't related to the play clock.