Walter Jones on Germain Ifedi:

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/943303487026163712[/tweet] :twisted: :stirthepot: :snack:

cymatica

Reaction score
Just don't move him to left guard, we got one of the best there already. :lol:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Walter Jones is one of the best offensive lineman in the history of the game. A truly extraordinary technician.

Jones commented a year ago that he would accept a position on the Seahawks coaching staff if offered. Not all great players make great coaches. He would have to learn how to vocalize what he knows; the players would listen and respect him. I don't think there is any limit to the number of assistant coaches a team can hire.

Tom Cable was asked the possibility of moving Ifedi to guard next season. His response was dismissive of the idea, but he said they would cross that bridge when they came to it. Either the dismissiveness was feigned because he is focused on the "now" or he truly believes Ifedi is a better tackle than guard. I do think Ifedi wants to stay at tackle more than James Carpenter did in 2011.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Jones was in a conventional blocking scheme, not sure he can teach these guys the proper way to dive at someone and roll on the ground. What I wouldn't give to see Russ behind that 2005 line and hell let's throw in Alexander as well.

soohawk

Reaction score
he is a penalty machine regardless of where he plays

hawknation2017

Reaction score
soohawk":3n4v31k7 said:
he is a penalty machine regardless of where he plays

Except, Ifedi did play guard (as a rookie) and penalties were not a big problem for him then. He did not get a single hold called against him as a guard. Like Carpenter, I think Ifedi is a better north-south guy playing inside.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2kutdxqv said:
Hire that man.

Disagree. If he had said "cut his ass", then it would show he's smarter than Cable.

Seymour

Reaction score
I agree with Walter. Move him to security guard.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Never understood why they thought he would be successful at tackle. But, I’ve never understood cables player choices really ever. Ifedi has concrete blocks for feet, his kick slide is hilarious. I mean he was an awful guard, and then moved out to a more difficult position seemingly on a prayer. Sticking with it all season has been mind boggling. Doesn’t take Walter Jones for us to figure this one out, but I do like that this came from him and is out in the media.

Seymour

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1mboun20 said:
Never understood why they thought he would be successful at tackle. But, I’ve never understood cables player choices really ever. Ifedi has concrete blocks for feet, his kick slide is hilarious.

Exactly what I said when I heard they were moving him to tackle.

He is who they said he is, read his draft profile again.
This is not even Ifedi's fault, it's our fault for thinking we are so much smarter than everyone else. How did that work out again Tom? :roll:

Weaknesses Offensive scheme limited ability to fire out. Tries to snatch with hands and hang on rather than securing blocks with leg drive. Inconsistent depth of pass sets opens up edge. Timing of combo blocks needs work. Gets in a hurry and doesn't always get first block secured. Uses more of a kick ­stomp than fluid kick­ slide. High pad level on down blocks limits leg drive to secure. Passive vertical pass sets allow easy pocket squeeze. Needs to eliminate habit of leaning into blocks. Too content to stalemate rather than dominate. Patience and discipline is a problem in pass protection. Lunges rather than letting the rep come to him.

sutz

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2e5dijyj said:
Seymour":2e5dijyj said:
Was thinking the same thing.
I was thinking "on what team?" :twisted:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what to do, but the endless turnover and shuffling on the O-line is counter-productive, TBS.

Seymour

Reaction score
sutz":3d0kpy03 said:
MD5eahawks":3d0kpy03 said:
Seymour":3d0kpy03 said:
Was thinking the same thing.
I was thinking "on what team?" :twisted:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure what to do, but the endless turnover and shuffling on the O-line is counter-productive, TBS.

Another team? After we trained him how to handle Clark's right hook? :twisted:

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I don't know. With all due respect to Walter Jones, in my observations...very few high level professionals were that good at coaching or teaching.

Then again, I would bet some of the issue lies with the fact that Ifedi was a first rounder, and putting him at guard isn't exactly what you do with that talent, so it's more about talent eval and how it hasn't worked out...and that's hard on John and Pete to admit it.

Jville

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3sfpyabr said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/943303487026163712[/tweet] :twisted: :stirthepot: :snack:

With all due respect, the quarterback Walter Jones blocked for was far more disciplined in his movement and supportive of blocking leverage and limited duration than what we see on the field in 2017.

The offense I see on the field today is much more reminiscent of the Jim Zorn days than of the days of Walter Jones in a Mike Holmgren offense.

Just a historic perspective and opinion from a humble fan. :229031_shrug:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's very easy to understand why they moved him to tackle.. take a look around at what their options were.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3tulifi5 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3tulifi5 said:
Never understood why they thought he would be successful at tackle. But, I’ve never understood cables player choices really ever. Ifedi has concrete blocks for feet, his kick slide is hilarious.

Exactly what I said when I heard they were moving him to tackle.

He is who they said he is, read his draft profile again.
This is not even Ifedi's fault, it's our fault for thinking we are so much smarter than everyone else. How did that work out again Tom? :roll:

Weaknesses Offensive scheme limited ability to fire out. Tries to snatch with hands and hang on rather than securing blocks with leg drive. Inconsistent depth of pass sets opens up edge. Timing of combo blocks needs work. Gets in a hurry and doesn't always get first block secured. Uses more of a kick ­stomp than fluid kick­ slide. High pad level on down blocks limits leg drive to secure. Passive vertical pass sets allow easy pocket squeeze. Needs to eliminate habit of leaning into blocks. Too content to stalemate rather than dominate. Patience and discipline is a problem in pass protection. Lunges rather than letting the rep come to him.

None of these weakness seems to be insurmountable with proper coaching of technique.

Of course that assumes Cable is a better OL coach than, then A&M’s BJ Anderson.

Given their resumes it’s seems a fairly safe assumption, though.

j hawk

Reaction score
Simple, fire Cable and hire Jones. Switch from zone to man blocking. Then you will have a run game. Simple.