Walter Jones on Germain Ifedi:

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":woy71fob said:
KitsapGuy":woy71fob said:
:twisted: :stirthepot: :snack:

With all due respect, the quarterback Walter Jones blocked for was far more disciplined in his movement and supportive of blocking leverage and limited duration than what we see on the field in 2017.

The offense I see on the field today is much more reminiscent of the Jim Zorn days than of the days of Walter Jones in a Mike Holmgren offense.

Just a historic perspective and opinion from a humble fan. :229031_shrug:

No kidding! It's called learned behavior, survival technics, David Carr syndrome. If Wilson had that same "luxury" then he too would not have had to do that to stay alive thanks to Tom Cable. Played every game since rookie year too, so he is damn good at it. I give him an A+ for staying on the field even.

Similar things are being said about Andrew Luck and Cam Newton. Nothing new here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/panthers/comments/2m498m/is_cam_newton_struggling_through_david_carr/

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2016/10/07/andrew-luck-could-become-david-carr

Jville

Reaction score
Seymour":1mfzjvm0 said:
Jville":1mfzjvm0 said:
KitsapGuy":1mfzjvm0 said:

With all due respect, the quarterback Walter Jones blocked for was far more disciplined in his movement and supportive of blocking leverage and limited duration than what we see on the field in 2017.

The offense I see on the field today is much more reminiscent of the Jim Zorn days than of the days of Walter Jones in a Mike Holmgren offense.

No kidding! It's called learned behavior, survival technics, David Carr syndrome. If Wilson had that same "luxury" then he too would not have had to do that to stay alive thanks to Tom Cable. Played every game since rookie year too, so he is damn good at it. I give him an A+ for staying on the field even.

Similar things are being said about Andrew Luck and Cam Newton. Nothing new here.

An opposite cause and effect opinion. There is no single forum condenses on this. Both contrasting perspectives are alive and valid.

From my vantage point, I would speculate that the remarkable pass and run blocking accomplishments Walter Jones delivered in Holmgren's offense would not be achievable in the current offense.

Just a historic perspective and opinion from this humble fan :229031_shrug:

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Jville":13fyqva4 said:
Seymour":13fyqva4 said:
Jville":13fyqva4 said:
KitsapGuy":13fyqva4 said:

An opposite cause and effect opinion. There is no single forum condenses on this. Both contrasting perspectives are alive and valid.

From my vantage point, I would speculate that the remarkable pass and run blocking accomplishments Walter Jones delivered in Holmgren's offense would not be achievable in the current offense.

Just a historic perspective and opinion from this humble fan :229031_shrug:

Wilson is probably the best QB in the NFL at throwing on the run, in either direction, and making the defense respect the run at the same time.

Give the opportunity, he may be an equally great pocket passer as well, but even if they had or could have force him into that mold, it would have certainly take away one of his largest strengths and a talent unique to a very few other QB's IMHO

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Seems like a chicken and egg scenario, to me. Is the O-line bad which causes RW to scramble (HA!), or does he create chaos with his unpredictable running which causes the O-line to look bad. Or, to take it step further, is our offense coaching so bad that opposing defensive coaches make it easy to exploit the weakness? Or, all three maybe? My gut says it's a coaching problem. Or not. I can't decide.

But obviously the bailing wire and duct tape/wing and a prayer style that's out there right now is not sustainable.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
AubHawk71":28t94ajx said:
Seems like a chicken and egg scenario, to me. Is the O-line bad which causes RW to scramble (HA!), or does he create chaos with his unpredictable running which causes the O-line to look bad. Or, to take it step further, is our offense coaching so bad that opposing defensive coaches make it easy to exploit the weakness? Or, all three maybe? My gut says it's a coaching problem. Or not. I can't decide.

But obviously the bailing wire and duct tape/wing and a prayer style that's out there right now is not sustainable.

I think a lot of it is the talent of the players on the o-line. I mean people run around ifedi near instantaneously. He looks bad in any situation, regardless of where Russell is. Similar is true at the guard spots - interior pressure is particularly crappy for a short QB and our guards get rag dolled far to often. We have added extra blockers, still doesn’t matter.

Yes, Russ can give the tackles a hard time because of his drop steps and movement, that is also true. But he equally escapes atrocious pressure. He saves as many sacks as he creates, so it likely balances out statistically.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Tru all dat.

Every team has to coach to their strengths and weaknesses, but obvs the Oline is too much to overcome.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of this post just last week.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143764

Where are all of the stats and defenders now?

Ifedi is terrible. I'm betting Fant takes his job next season.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":ph9q4pok said:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143764

That’s because these are OPINIONS. If you look at the stats you’ll find he’s not as bad as some peoples’ opinions of him are.

That doesn't make him good or prove he will get better, worse or replaced in the future.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":23m85qgl said:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143764

I'm right here.

Doesn't mean Walter Jones is right or wrong. Its what Walter Jones thinks is the best. My stats were showing that ifedi isn't far off first year tackles in the NFL and you guys think your opinions are facts. I already said ifedi is flagged more then even first year tackles. He is way ahead for sacks allowed. (In the good way)

And Ifedi did perform better at guard stat wise his rookie year. So is this ifedi fault he was moved?

Again you guys base your facts on your opinions. George Fant? 60 yards of flags and 5 sacks allowed in 10 games. So he was on pace for 95yds worth of flags and 8 sacks allowed. So Fant was on pace for what a average first year rookie tackle does.

So even if ifedi is benched or slides into a guard spot doesn't mean his first year tackle spots were treacherous. Above average for flags and way below average for sacks. So you can pick and choose.

And before anyone says "but....Walter played and.."

I'm not disagreeing with Walter Jones but doesn't mean Ifedi stats are what your opinion is.

Side note:

A lot of awesome to hall of fame players are terrible coaches compared to average to sub average players. Look at Jordan.

https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/amazi ... es/1339816

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ch ... st-coaches

http://garretkramer.com/why-great-playe ... t-coaches/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... id=3045864

Anyways I put those links cuz I knew I would get burned down for not fully agreeing with Jones.

Seymour

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1xizka57 said:
Again you guys base your facts on your opinions. George Fant? 60 yards of flags and 5 sacks allowed in 10 games. So he was on pace for 95yds worth of flags and 8 sacks allowed. So Fant was on pace for what a average first year rookie tackle does.

Fant was a power forward learning a new trade. Those numbers for him are far superior to someone that has played the game for years. :roll:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2ifzyyxl said:
I bet you complained on Fant last yr. If not?

Its just mob mentality about ifedi here and at field gulls.

I did. Why,,,,because like Ifedi, he was bad. As bad as Fant was though, he would still be an upgrade to Ifedi (and wouldnt be on Russ's blindside).

Its all opinion though. I mean, what the hell does a guy like Walter Jones know about the offensive line anyways?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Seymour":3j3wmhjq said:
Shanegotyou11":3j3wmhjq said:

Fant was a power forward learning a new trade. Those numbers for him are far superior to someone that has played the game for years. :roll:

Not if your learning a new position. I mean FB is same as a wr right? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Again ifedi on pace for 3.5 sacks allowed in first year in a "new" position.

Again your basing your opinion to facts.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2sttyeek said:
Shanegotyou11":2sttyeek said:
I bet you complained on Fant last yr. If not?

Its just mob mentality about ifedi here and at field gulls.

I did. Why,,,,because like Ifedi, he was bad. As bad as Fant was though, he would still be an upgrade to Ifedi (and wouldnt be on Russ's blindside).

Its all opinion though. I mean, what the hell does a guy like Walter Jones know about the offensive line anyways?

Statistically your incorrect and sound silly rn.

Again the Walter Jones counter punch. I just gave multiple links on great athletes as horrible coaches. Idk how great Walter would be. So that's not fair for me to say that he would suck but just b cuz your a legend doesn't mean youd be a great coach.

I mean what does Jordan know about hoops or Gretzky about hockey.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
hawknation2017":36khlihw said:
pittpnthrs":36khlihw said:

Hqdefault

I'd say as much as Jordan knows hoops or Gretzky knew hockey. Both are poor at that job in coaching and GM department.

:lol:

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3g543y6c said:
Seymour":3g543y6c said:
Shanegotyou11":3g543y6c said:

Not if your learning a new position. I mean FB is same as a wr right? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Again ifedi on pace for 3.5 sacks allowed in first year in a "new" position.

Again your basing your opinion to facts.

3.5 sacks, near top of the league in pressures, and that is with tons of holds and false starts. He is fortunate Russell can escape, or he’d be even more of a laughing stock.

Latest posts