Walter Jones on Germain Ifedi:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I don't think anyone could have predicted that the Seahawks would be Top 10 in pass protection and Russell Wilson would have more than three seconds on average to throw the ball . . . but the run game would be as bad as it is today.

I think we can cut down on the penalties at the RT position and improve by the guard play by moving Ifedi back to RG.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":2rxzsvhi said:
How come Walter Jones isn't hired as an OL assistant coach? Damn man.

1) I’m not sure Walter wants to spend the time or energy it takes to be a NFL coach. I heard he wanted to spend more time with his, High School age, twins (summer 2016), but that may have changed by now.

2) I’m not sure his uniquely gifted talent can be taught to players who may not be as gifted.

3) But if 1&2 are not true and he indeed wants to and can translate his skills effectively, then assistant line coach would be the perfect place to start and find out.

And 4) Brennan was a TE and TE coach for the majority of his career, if he’s on staff for another reason then,
“HEY McPherson here’s your new assistant”.

It’s not like our TE’s would suffer from some more detailed coaching.

Rat

Reaction score
Seymour":20oob5lc said:
Seymour":20oob5lc said:
raisethe3":20oob5lc said:

That would hinder the heir to the throne.

Hired 8 days after this..... :2thumbs:

[youtube]U7rPIg7ZNQ8[/youtube]

And we haven't lost another Super Bowl since.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":5ywtebvn said:

1) I’m not sure Walter wants to spend the time or energy it takes to be a NFL coach. I heard he wanted to spend more time with his, High School age, twins (summer 2016), but that may have changed by now.

2) I’m not sure his uniquely gifted talent can be taught to players who may not be as gifted.

3) But if 1&2 are not true and he indeed wants to and can translate his skills effectively, then assistant line coach would be the perfect place to start and find out.

And 4) Brennan was a TE and TE coach for the majority of his career, if he’s on staff for another reason then,
“HEY McPherson here’s your new assistant”.

It’s not like our TE’s would suffer from some more detailed coaching.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Not an Ifedi fan but you aren't going to cut a 1st rounder after two years.

The smart move would be to let Joeckel walk and move him back to guard.

Pocic needs to get a lot stronger but I think he has some potential.

Seymour

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1q8k53mh said:
raisethe3":1q8k53mh said:

I just posted 2 different sources with links proving he does want to.

Do I need to click it for you?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Seymour":3ob6zn1q said:
FidelisHawk":3ob6zn1q said:
raisethe3":3ob6zn1q said:

He is doing what we do well here. Ignore the facts and spew opinions. :stirthepot:

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":gfgijwjb said:
FidelisHawk":gfgijwjb said:
raisethe3":gfgijwjb said:

Wow, next time I’ll type a little faster, or wait with bated breath for your next post.

But, before you attempt to jump down my throat, did you read my post?
“(summer 2016), but that may have changed by now.”

We’re all speculating here, surely you can’t believe your speculation is a superior speculation than my speculation? :roll:

IrishNW

Reaction score
I think it would be really cool if Walter Jones became a coach for the seahawks but only if it was for the right reason...like him actually having the potential to be a great coach not because of his player celebrity status. Heath Farewell is currently coaching for us and he was shocked at how much time is actually invested.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AubHawk71":2dmiawnf said:
Tru all dat.

Every team has to coach to their strengths and weaknesses, but obvs the Oline is too much to overcome.

It's pretty hard to call this setup "unsustainable", or to say that the OL's problems are "finally catching up to the team", given that it's seen the longest run of dominance in NFL history. Even without Lynch, we were competitive in all but two games for six years. Wilson's shootout over the Texans featured one of the worst rushing performances in the history of the team (or the NFL). He still won.

The evidence that the OL is killing Wilson just isn't there when you examine the tape. Sometimes the pressure is immediate. A lot more of the time, Wilson has 2.5 seconds to throw and doesn't, or runs without being pressured, which call into question his willingness to throw, his ability to see the field, the glut of iso routes he's being asked to complete to small receivers - practically everything BUT the offensive line. That last factor, in particular, is something that correlates pretty closely to our offensive performance in the last two years.

If you want to know what's different in the last couple of years, you can cite kicker woes, defensive injuries, changing schemes - but our OL has been uniformly bad through it all. That suggest it isn't much of a factor. Wilson's talent transcends it, as with some of the other great QBs (Manning).

djb28

Reaction score
Seymour":3dw3ryzj said:
I agree with Walter. Move him to security guard.
Now you are putting the general public at risk.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":5s3bk5d7 said:
soohawk":5s3bk5d7 said:
he is a penalty machine regardless of where he plays

Except, Ifedi did play guard (as a rookie) and penalties were not a big problem for him then. He did not get a single hold called against him as a guard. Like Carpenter, I think Ifedi is a better north-south guy playing inside.

Ifedi got his share of penalties as a G too.

He needs better coaching as far as his technique, as he tends to hold outside the frame of the DL he faces, his false starts s however are poor discipline.

At this stage he's running out of spots to play. He's too slow with his lateral movement to be an excellent OT even if he has the size, trying him again at RG is an option for next preseason and if he fails there it's time to cut bait with him.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
jammerhawk":34treofy said:
hawknation2017":34treofy said:
soohawk":34treofy said:
he is a penalty machine regardless of where he plays

Except, Ifedi did play guard (as a rookie) and penalties were not a big problem for him then. He did not get a single hold called against him as a guard. Like Carpenter, I think Ifedi is a better north-south guy playing inside.

Ifedi got his share of penalties as a G too.

He needs better coaching as far as his technique, as he tends to hold outside the frame of the DL he faces, his false starts s however are poor discipline.

At this stage he's running out of spots to play. He's too slow with his lateral movement to be an excellent OT even if he has the size, trying him again at RG is an option for next preseason and if he fails there it's time to cut bait with him.
T

Ifedi had 6 flags for 31yds. Top guard in NFL Zach Martin averages 22yds per year thanks to his 0 yards this yr in year 4. Zach martin had career high 60yds in yr 3.

So ifedi averaged 9 more yds in flags then the best guard in the nfl. Yep, cut bait.

SeaChat

Reaction score
As usual I'll take the unpopular stance on this one. I agree with Walter, and I'll also offer a little support for Germaine as well, by restating what has already been pointed out, being that Ifedi played guard all thru college and The Seahawks drafted him based on his performance.

Ifedi does play the guard position well because that is his position. Asking him to play a position that was foreign to him, it should not surprise anyone that he would struggle there. I don't believe that Germaine is playing with total disregard for the penalty flags and yards that they cost our team. I believe he resorts to holding, as a last resort, to protect Russell from injury.

Its costly but Russell being injured and out of the game would be a lot more harmful to our chances. I will say also that since Duane Brown arrived, and has taken Ifedi under his wing, that there has been a significant reduction in penalties called on him, and a noticeable improvement in his game. Most of the penalties recently have been related to Germaine's frustration over his being mugged by the defense and no flags being thrown to discourage it. He needs to control his temper, it gets costly to your team and in close games can mean the difference between a win or a loss.

I also think that Walter might very well make a good coach. He knows defense inside out and can acclimate to any scheme the team wants to deploy. The basics are for the most part universal. Coaching requires knowledge of the game, the basics and techniques, an ability to connect and motivate your players and get the results that are expected of them.

Walter was always thought of as a team leader, and always inspired his teammates to play at their finest. If he is serious and they want to test the waters, ask him to come on board as an assistant coach and go from there. If he demonstrates he has the goods, then give him the keys to the car.

I'm not saying that I support getting rid of Tom, but if they decide to let him go, Walter might be a really good prospect for the job.

Go Seahawks !

Latest posts