This year's defense historically bad

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
6106 total yards allowed, the 2nd most in franchise history. Only the 2000 team allowed more with 6391

6.0 yards per play, the second most in franchise history.

These numbers per Tim Booth in this morning's column.

For all the criticisms of Pete I read here, the ones calling him out on the regression of the defense is the most valid based on these numbers (and the eye test) imo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2p48f5sj said:
6106 total yards allowed, the 2nd most in franchise history. Only the 2000 team allowed more with 6391

For all the criticisms of Pete I read here, the ones calling him out on the regression of the defense is the most valid based on these numbers (and the eye test) imo.

Amazing the team has 11 wins..

The defensive unit is young, and has just 2 players you would consider elite (and both have been hurt this season). will be interesting to see if that's where the majority of next year's higher round draft picks go

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I posted this in the Gameday forum last Sunday but to me it bears repeating...this defense is desperately in need of an infusion of SPEED. While Diggs is fast, he looks amazingly so cuz the rest of the D is freaking sloooooooow.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
LB is a clear need Wags and KJ are past it . I would not be opposed to drafting a LB with out first pick.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":135u22ve said:
LB is a clear need Wags and KJ are past it . I would not be opposed to drafting a LB with out first pick.

Do you think Barton is a long time solution?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xgixd2x said:
Northwest Seahawk":1xgixd2x said:

I think Calitro was a better player and he was a backup .

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":l21mucni said:
Northwest Seahawk":l21mucni said:

I'm certainly willing to see how next year goes but to me the returns so far are not good. If we saw just rookie mistakes it wouldn't bother me much but I see a guy who also doesn't have the speed I feel we need so badly.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think we could agree at the beginning of the year the D was going to be an issue especially at d back. Wagner was still statistically a top rated linebacker this year and he cant do it alone. I agree KJ has dropped off but what other options were there? Barton seems lost out there so no way he could of been a starter this year. I think if the team had Diggs all season and Clowney the numbers would not be this bad. Someone mentioned improving speed and I would have to agree.

Seymour

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1pc3jsco said:

LOL. Good luck with that. Wagner just starts his new contract next year and will cost $11.2M to get rid of.

Not happenin.....

:snack:

xray

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2sum1x6a said:
hawksfansinceday1":2sum1x6a said:

Amazing the team has 11 wins..

The defensive unit is young, and has just 2 players you would consider elite (and both have been hurt this season). will be interesting to see if that's where the majority of next year's higher round draft picks go
!11

11 wins is amazing ...considering

Polk738

Reaction score
My takeaways on the defense as a whole this year.

-Norton is especially bad with his schemes, I hate the base defense and how much strain it put on the LBs in coverage

-Safety play was probably the worst I have seen it in years, T2 and Hill are awful and should be let go but at the same time maybe it was a blessing as it forced Pete to act and bring in Quandre Diggs who has done nothing but perform in every game he has played.

-Tackling was really bad this year, lots of bad angles from all players

-Screens destroyed this team on an almost weekly basis, I can only remember a few plays where KJ actually sniffed it out and blew it up.

-Pass rush was non-existent on a consistent basis, Ansah was a wasted signing, Reed was suspended six games and took awhile to get going, Clowney had his moments but I feel like he really needs another rusher to be truly effective otherwise he's double teamed most of the game or just beat up with injuries like he is now. Damn you Al Woods!!

A few positives tho:

Shaquille definitely turned it around an had a great season, he might not have gotten the INTS but I know he got a lot of pass breakups, I think the INTS will definitely come next year. Tre Flowers is not far behind

The defense was bad but I think they led the NFC in takeaways at one point, they were really getting after it in forcing fumbles (it's just too bad the offense was doing the same thing)

Thank God for Quandre Diggs getting signed to this team, probably one of the better trades in awhile

Rasheem Green went from being a nobody last year to a great standout player on the D-line, 4 sacks 4 forced fumbles, hope he continues to get better.

Poona Ford is fast, 5 TFLs this year, not bad for an un-drafted

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2xvclyab said:
Northwest Seahawk":2xvclyab said:

How the hell would he know?, he's not an expert, nor is anybody else in here. :mrgreen:

BChawkfan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3empf9dr said:
IndyHawk":3empf9dr said:
When will see Bur K?At LB?
Maybe next year when KJ isn't back?

Or not next year either.
Someone else will come along who is way better ,faster , stronger than Bbk

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3l3lo4b6 said:
Northwest Seahawk":3l3lo4b6 said:

LOL. Good luck with that. Wagner just starts his new contract next year and will cost $11.2M to get rid of.

Not happenin.....

:snack:[/quot

So that doesn't mean they can't take a LB in the second round does it. Or the first round for that matter. If they don't this defense is going to continue to give up numbers like they have this year. Unless you think Barton is the next Wags or KJ and I will retort good luck with that.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
BChawkfan":2c3z80vz said:
hawksfansinceday1":2c3z80vz said:
IndyHawk":2c3z80vz said:
When will see Bur K?At LB?
Maybe next year when KJ isn't back?

Or not next year either.
Someone else will come along who is way better ,faster , stronger than Bbk

I don't know... as a longtime Husky fan and a BBK supporter, I'm not sure he is the answer. Guess we'll see.

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":nzqf0y0l said:

Ahh wags led LBs in tackles, and KJ led LBs in ints

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
John63":2r7umrs1 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2r7umrs1 said:

Ahh wags led LBs in tackles, and KJ led LBs in ints

That's good to hear but there not getting any younger bro. They don't play as physical game in game out as they used to and they have both lost a step. LB has to be seriously addressed it's just common sense. Barton and BBK are not the answer . Second worst defense in franchise history let that sink in.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
So what is different this year? Usually your defense is outstanding. I guess Pete Carroll was saying they need pass rush. I thought Clowney was your pass rush? He is too injured or the other guys are not performing?