Fieldgulls: How bad is the Defense?

renofox

Reaction score
I knew it was pretty bad. I had no idea it was THIS bad.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/1/2...pete-carroll-clint-hurtt-nfl-analysis-opinion

The Seahawks defense since the Baltimore Ravens debacle​

• 29th in points allowed (244)
  • 30th in opponent completion percentage (67.5%)
  • 30th in yards allowed per offensive play (5.92)
  • T-25th in sacks (20)
  • T-24th in takeaways (9)
  • 29th in touchdowns allowed (28)
  • 30th in rate of defensive drives ending in a score (45.8%)
  • 28th in rate of punts forced (32.3%)
  • 32nd in rushing first downs allowed (89, a cool 12 more than the next worst team)
  • 32nd in rushing yards allowed after contact (3.1)
  • 31st in third-down conversion rate allowed (48.2%)
  • 32nd in average time of possession (3:09)

These stats cover all phases of defense. EVERY SINGLE ONE is at the bottom of the league.

So the Seahawks Defense does nothing at all anywhere near league average?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Far be it from me to defend this defense, but in that stretch we faced Ravens, Rams, Niners twice, Cowboys, and Eagles. Probably the toughest SOS in that span in the entire league.

I would say that your original feeling is likely the correct one. We are bad, but not quite as bad as the stats here show.

JPatera76

Reaction score
And after reading maelstroms coaching or offseason thread….

Shead and Thorpe, two former players who had abysmal careers and stats… are coaches to our secondary amusingly enough. Explains some of these issues we see popping up in the back end.

cymatica

Reaction score
Far be it from me to defend this defense, but in that stretch we faced Ravens, Rams, Niners twice, Cowboys, and Eagles. Probably the toughest SOS in that span in the entire league.

I would say that your original feeling is likely the correct one. We are bad, but not quite as bad as the stats here show.
I might agree if at least one of the stats would be around average. They've also played the Stealers, Titans, and Commanders in that stretch with 2 of those teams playing backup QBs. This defense is that bad and Pete doesn't know how to fix it while refusing to shake things up.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I remember thinking at the end of last year, that the defense had no where to go but up. Boy was I wrong. Wholesale changes in personnel for what seemed to be better players sure as shit didn’t fix it. The common denominator? Coaches. Clint Hurtts this defense by his presence as DC.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
And after reading maelstroms coaching or offseason thread….

Shead and Thorpe, two former players who had abysmal careers and stats… are coaches to our secondary amusingly enough. Explains some of these issues we see popping up in the back end.
Could they PLEASE stop promoting only from within and making sentimental ex-Seahawk player hires? Can they try something new and try hiring for actual skill and talent?

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Yeah that's bad. It's unacceptable. Heads needed to roll, like yesterday.
How on earth can Pete look at those stats and numbers and with any amount of sanity and integrity have one word of justification come out of his mouth at this point?

GemCity

Reaction score
How do you start as a top tier defense..and bottom out after 5 games?

Nwosu going down hurt but, cmon….

We need to get out of the soft zone/cover 3 and make adjustments IN GAME.

Sure, Cover 3 prevents the big play…I get it. But, it also gives up an instant 3-4 yards on the ground and if you play it like we play it, it’s often 7+ yards.

The only guys that play it effectively from our squad is Spoon, Brooks…maybe Love. D-line does what D-linemen do.

Just ranting…and perhaps some of this isn’t necessarily true. But, it “feels” like it.

I’d rather see Woolen in man coverage because lord knows he can’t tackle when ball carriers come his way. I trust him to cover tho.

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh…fk it. We suck on D.

thegameq

Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing, something has gone very wrong in the locker room. The obvious lack of effort, guys standing around, waiting for someone else to make the tackle. How many times have you seen our D linemen on the ground and the other teams O linemen down field? How many times have you seen our corners getting trucked or whiffing on tackles? How many times have you seen our guys reaching or grabbing instead of squaring up and pushing through? Yes, there is a deficiency of talent on the D line.....

IMO, Pete has lost this team. The rah, rah attitude can only last so long--but we knew this from the time he was hired. It was only a matter of time before it would either wear thin or not resonate with some players.

The real question is one ownership, the media--and more importantly this fanbase--me included ;-) need to answer:

1. How bad does it need to get before we are willing to move on from Pete? Does the franchise have to be burned down to the ground and a player mutiny begins? I think a mutiny of sorts has already started.

We've seen this scenario playout with different teams. Either the fans and/or ownership hold on to long, hoping the coach who got them a super bowl victory can repeat the same or similar circumstances again. During that time the team fluctuates between mediocrity/treading water and over achieving--doing just enough to give the fanbase and ownership hope.

Sound familiar?

I will always have a special place for Pete and our first super bowl victory.....but it's time to move on.

morgulon1

Reaction score

I disagree.

Seattle's defense is every but as bad as the stats show. Why should there be an asterisk because they actually played good teams ? Shouldn't that be the benchmark they should run towards?
Or maybe they could hope they play other crappy teams ?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but the only way I could look at the statement is
"Maybe they could be better if they played worse teams " .

Of course , I'm not trying to put words in your mouth . Maybe you could explain what you're saying a little more in depth.