The Denver pick can easily move down to 5

Ozzy

Reaction score
We should have our pick of Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson, or Bryan Breese. We might be able to trade down a few and still get one of those. Somebody's going to want to jump DET/LAR/ATL/CAR for Will Levis.

Or maybe someone tries to jump Indy for a QB and Arizona drops below us.
Meh I’m not super high on those three at #5. Wilson is probably my favorite but Taylor and Nwosu(sp) came on strong this year

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think that changes as this process goes on. Staton has posted some clips from guys around the league who have him much higher than mocks have him listed. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I’ll say this even though I’m in the QB early camp. If John does take someone at 5 I’ll be pumped because it means he loves whoever fell there. If he goes defense then I’ll assume he didn’t have a great grade on one

Even though I'm anti QB at #5, I've said this all along as well.

I trust Schneider, especially now that if the rumors are true that Pete's given up meddling and allowed John and his scouts to do their thing, thus resulting in one of our best drafts ever last year.

If he falls in love with Stroud or Levis? He certainly has the draft capital now to go get them.

I think we'll know more as the next couple months go on, combine, etc. to formulate a more educated opinion on all these guys.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
We just have fix the defensive front 7 thru the draft & sign Geno to a reasonable contract for the short term(2-3 years), which I think we can, & I'd also like to keep Lock around for the possibly longer term.
I gotta be honest, after watching Geno this season, I'd be comfortable with Lock starting next season after a season learning in Waldron's system if Geno decides to leave, which I don't really see happening. I hope Lock doesn't leave just to be a backup somewhere else.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We just have fix the defensive front 7 thru the draft & sign Geno to a reasonable contract for the short term(2-3 years), which I think we can, & I'd also like to keep Lock around for the possibly longer term.
I gotta be honest, after watching Geno this season, I'd be comfortable with Lock starting next season after a season learning in Waldron's system if Geno decides to leave, which I don't really see happening. I hope Lock doesn't leave just to be a backup somewhere else.

Certainly some red flags with Geno's decision making errors when he's under pressure. Seen that rear it's ugly head the past 5-6 weeks.

But hard to argue with 4,000 yards, 30 TD's, records for CMP% and a Pro Bowl.

I'm just fine with that for another 2-3 years as we continue to build the roster out to hopefully be more than just a fringe playoff team.

Draft your next young QB to compete this year or next, and extend Geno.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Certainly some red flags with Geno's decision making errors when he's under pressure. Seen that rear it's ugly head the past 5-6 weeks.

But hard to argue with 4,000 yards, 30 TD's, records for CMP% and a Pro Bowl.

I'm just fine with that for another 2-3 years as we continue to build the roster out to hopefully be more than just a fringe playoff team.

Draft your next young QB to compete this year or next, and extend Geno.

I would hopefully get both Geno & Lock signed & use the draft capital to fix the defense long term. I don't think the cost would cripple our cap.

If we can fix this defense thru the draft it could set us up for success for years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would hopefully get both Geno & Lock signed & use the draft capital to fix the defense long term. I don't think the cost would cripple our cap.

If we can fix this defense thru the draft it could set us up for success for years.

Right.

My guess is some of Geno's deficiencies would be mitigated with a much better defense that doesn't create that pressure of him having to be perfect because he's down 17-3 before the 1st quarter ends and always having to come from behind..........and you know, actually getting more than 2-3 possessions a half because your defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs.

chrispy

Reaction score
...too much in-play to be able to predict this early (for me). However, compared to seasons past, I feel oddly confident about the upcoming off-season.

JS is coming off a great draft. With all the ammo he has this year, I foresee jumping up and down the draftboard (remember the DK pick) multiple times. We have options at QB. We have multiple solid pieces on both lines so any/all additions should show improvement (as opposed to the normal complete rebuilds of the past 10 yrs). We have multiple/solid weapons on O to build around in both pass and run game. D has holes but they're mostly plug-and-play and ... JS has 10 draft picks. He can pick 2 DTs, 2 Edge, 2 ILBs, 2 OLs, 2QBs and still have Free Agency and UDFAs.... (not endorsing this, just to show there is a lot of reason for optimism).

...and, even before the additions, we're already a playoff caliber team!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Right.

My guess is some of Geno's deficiencies would be mitigated with a much better defense that doesn't create that pressure of him having to be perfect because he's down 17-3 before the 1st quarter ends and always having to come from behind..........and you know, actually getting more than 2-3 possessions a half because your defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs.
I think you're probably right but a few of his mistakes have happened early in games when they aren't down. I just think this is who Geno is probably and we were spoiled with Russ in this regard for 9 years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think you're probably right but a few of his mistakes have happened early in games when they aren't down. I just think this is who Geno is probably and we were spoiled with Russ in this regard for 9 years.

Some would say Russ didn't take enough risks. How many three and outs did we endure watching Russ huck it out of bounds when he could have possibly made a tight completion like Geno's done dozens of times this year?

Hard to say, and I certainly get this criticism of Geno. But it doesn't preclude me from thinking he can still be a very good above average QB for the next 2-3 years for the Hawks.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some would say Russ didn't take enough risks. How many three and outs did we endure watching Russ huck it out of bounds when he could have possibly made a tight completion like Geno's done dozens of times this year?

Hard to say, and I certainly get this criticism of Geno. But it doesn't preclude me from thinking he can still be a very good above average QB for the next 2-3 years for the Hawks.
I agree, I wanted Russ to be a little more aggressive at times.

He can be and I think its likely honestly.....I just think if I have a chance to draft a Herbert, Burrow, Allen type and I rarely get the chance the draft a guy like that then I'm taking it. This isn't a novel idea and John/Pete probably agrees, just depends if they view anyone that way at 5. I can't wait.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree, I wanted Russ to be a little more aggressive at times.

He can be and I think its likely honestly.....I just think if I have a chance to draft a Herbert, Burrow, Allen type and I rarely get the chance the draft a guy like that then I'm taking it. This isn't a novel idea and John/Pete probably agrees, just depends if they view anyone that way at 5. I can't wait.

I don't think what you're talking about is mutually exclusive.

Signing Geno to an extension doesn't preclude Pete and John from drafting a QB if they fall in love with one, early or later in the draft.

Btw, if we've learned anything from Russell, and now Geno? Pete and his staff are pretty damn good at developing QB's. So just because we use our high picks on other positions doesn't mean they can't draft and develop a QB behind Geno for the next year or two.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I want to see us got both lines fixed up so we can actually win the los. That would help whoever is our QB and our running game immensely. As for our QB, I have him all picked out but he won't be available until draft in 24. Geno and Lock will do just fine until then.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think what you're talking about is mutually exclusive.

Signing Geno to an extension doesn't preclude Pete and John from drafting a QB if they fall in love with one, early or later in the draft.

Btw, if we've learned anything from Russell, and now Geno? Pete and his staff are pretty damn good at developing QB's. So just because we use our high picks on other positions doesn't mean they can't draft and develop a QB behind Geno for the next year or two.
Yeah I agree. In fact I’m a lot of situations it’s almost ideal to sign him if you can depending on the prospect. That’s why I think they’re in such a good spot

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You either go all in on Geno for the next few seasons or not. This is 2023, QBs don't sit on the bench for years. You have a franchise QB now. You're in the playoffs with him. Go build the rest. Win now. Who cares about 2025?

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Wasn’t early game struggles and mistakes what frustrated us most with Russ?

We typically needed his late game heroics due to holes our offense dug in the first quarter

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wasn’t early game struggles and mistakes what frustrated us most with Russ?

We typically needed his late game heroics due to holes our offense dug in the first quarter
Yeah good point.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You either go all in on Geno for the next few seasons or not. This is 2023, QBs don't sit on the bench for years. You have a franchise QB now. You're in the playoffs with him. Go build the rest. Win now. Who cares about 2025?
I don’t think Geno is a franchise guy tho, I think he’s in the 12-15 range at best after this year. I guess it could be debated if that is franchise worthy or not but if a guy is there who you love yeah I’m not passing for a dude in his mid 30’s because you’re more than a year away anyway.

But I don’t think your approach is crazy or anything and it’s reasonable. I’m just torn on Geno and maybe that’s not fair

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don’t think Geno is a franchise guy tho, I think he’s in the 12-15 range at best after this year. I guess it could be debated if that is franchise worthy or not but if a guy is there who you love yeah I’m not passing for a dude in his mid 30’s because you’re more than a year away anyway

Geno just turned 32, don't sell him like he's 35. He's younger than Russ, Tannehill, Cousins... He's got a solid 3 year peak left. You have a ton of holes to fill and an opportunity to get some of the best talent available and you'd rather use it on a roll of the dice QB when you don't have to?

End up with Zach Wilson out here when we could've just kept a top 10 QB. Guy who's #1 in CP% with minimum 100 attempts. 4th in TDs. 8th in yards. And a winning record. And the playoffs. You can assume regression all you want, but you can't assume that us getting the 'third' rated QB in the draft is going to pan out.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Before tonight I thought Jalen Carter would be the best player to pick. Now even more so I think he’s the best player for the Seahawks in his draft. If somehow someway he lasts until the fourth pick, I would trade up one spot to Indianapolis and take him. Although he is much taller, his game reminds me a lot of Cortez Kennedy where he’s able to get up field and disrupt the pocket consistently.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Geno just turned 32, don't sell him like he's 35. He's younger than Russ, Tannehill, Cousins... He's got a solid 3 year peak left. You have a ton of holes to fill and an opportunity to get some of the best talent available and you'd rather use it on a roll of the dice QB when you don't have to?

End up with Zach Wilson out here when we could've just kept a top 10 QB. Guy who's #1 in CP% with minimum 100 attempts. 4th in TDs. 8th in yards. And a winning record. And the playoffs. You can assume regression all you want, but you can't assume that us getting the 'third' rated QB in the draft is going to pan out.
I trust John when it comes to drafting quarterbacks. Of course you can’t say for sure the third QB is going to pan out but you can’t assume any other position is going to pan out either. Seattle never gets the chance to pick top 5 and the position is so valuable you have to at least keep the option open if you think he’s there. If you can get 5 years of even geno production for rookie contract you have a lot more resources for other positions