The D will help the Hawks get those 8 or more wins! Sorry Haters.

Rainger

Reaction score
I think this post is a good discussion that this team is better than the Haters like to preach. A good D will keep the Hawks in many games that an average game manager QB will be able to turn into a win.

The sky isn't falling in Seattle as many here would have you believe. This is not a "TOTAL REBUILD" regardless of how many times people need to say it.

This year will be a return to what made the Hawks great initially after Pete got here. The new QB will be had next year and he does not have to be from the first round.

The Hawks just needed to get off the RW merry-go-round and back to what made them good in the first place. The D will surprise many I bet.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The D may play better but I think Jason Myers will cost them at least 3 games like he did last season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The defense wont get their act together until mid-season like usual and the damage will already be done by then.

Jac

Reaction score
The other part of this equation is that they should have a great running attack on the other side of the ball. They're not going to be a fun opponent.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
When one takes a step back and looks at the speed on the roster, then recalls 2011 Pete Carroll, that's what we're hoping for here, I think we'll see flashes, I really really do. Defense actually has the talent with the scheme to use it, if we have a running game and a redzone offense, could legitimately be a top 5 defense, and win 10 games.

Spohawks

Reaction score
The D may play better but I think Jason Myers will cost them at least 3 games like he did last season.
Lets remember that he broke Seahawk records and was on his way to the NFL records before last year happened.

Kickers are a dime a dozen but the Hawks have kept him around, they like what they have.

Kickers play for 15-20 years, its almost garenteed that a bad year is bound to pop in there. I am thinking he locks back in and wins us a few...like he has before.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It was high time that the team invested in its future instead of treading water with Russ at the helm occasionally conjuring up his late-game magic and with aging defensive players that lacked the athleticism to attack. I'm elated with the infusion of youth on this roster.

On defense, we still have savvy veterans at all three levels with Diggs at safety, Brooks and Cody Barton at LB, and with Al Woods, Q and Shelby Harris on the D-line.

I'm excited for this season, which is a nice change from the past several years.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Is there someone who pays you to pass out the bitter pills?
LOL I think he's going for the 'PESSIMIST OF THE YEAR' award, cuz he knows he ain't got a chance to taking the 'CYNIC OF THE YEAR' award from Twisted. LOLOLOL

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think this post is a good discussion that this team is better than the Haters like to preach. A good D will keep the Hawks in many games that an average game manager QB will be able to turn into a win.

The sky isn't falling in Seattle as many here would have you believe. This is not a "TOTAL REBUILD" regardless of how many times people need to say it.

This year will be a return to what made the Hawks great initially after Pete got here. The new QB will be had next year and he does not have to be from the first round.

The Hawks just needed to get off the RW merry-go-round and back to what made them good in the first place. The D will surprise many I bet.

I'm on board with most of this. The Baltimore Ravens won a SB with Trent Dilfer under center, then released him during preseason the next year. Only time ever a SB-winning QB has been outright released by his team the following year.

From that article: "Pete Carroll admitted last year after drafting Tre Brown that the inspiring play of DJ Reed changed his mind on the cornerback prototypes he liked to draft." Now if only he'd played Marcus Burley in SB49 instead of Tharald "toast" Simon.

For all those who said Carroll was an old dog who would never change, it looks like there are lots of changes in the works this season. Looks like Carroll is willing to use a little more deception in his schemes (on both sides of the ball) instead of relying on "out-executing" and "imposing our will on" opponents. Our D will be less predictable with this 3-4 and pass rush LB coming from unknown locations.

Now, the defense won't be the 2000 Ravens, so a Lombardi trophy might be a little too high on the upside. I'd be happy with around .500 and one convincing win over the Rams, convincing meaning we didn't have to rely on them missing a FG in the closing seconds.

If Penny can stay healthy and Kenneth Walker III brings his college promise to fruition in the NFL, Seattle will have a smashmouth running game again, and along with that improved (we hope) defense will be in a lot of games in the 4th quarter with a chance to win.

I'm seeing this season as a midpoint between 2011's 7-9 and 2012's 11-5. Better than the 2011 team with TJack, but without Russell Wilson. Between 8 and 11 wins is my guess, depending on QB emergence.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Lets remember that he broke Seahawk records and was on his way to the NFL records before last year happened.

Kickers are a dime a dozen but the Hawks have kept him around, they like what they have.

Kickers play for 15-20 years, its almost garenteed that a bad year is bound to pop in there. I am thinking he locks back in and wins us a few...like he has before.
I understand anyone can have a bad year. But last season is more of the norm for Myers than what he did in 2020. If that’s the case...he’s a way overpaid. They can get the amount of his performance at a cheaper price and use the money in other areas of need.

The way the Seahawks play with so many close games...Hitting on those FG opportunities is needed and not a luxury. One miss is a difference between a W or L as we found out last season. Even with the RW injury, the Seahawks could have won 9 or 10 games last season had Myers connected on a couple of more FGs. Having a solid and accurate kicker is vital for a team that plays its games close.

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
There’s a good book called the Power of Habit. One of the stories goes into Tony Dungy‘s coaching and how players, even after learning new skills and habits, revert back when in pressure or uncertain situations. Pete epitomizes this exactly hence the meddling. So, saying he has learned new tricks before we have even play a PRE season game is just ignorant.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There’s a good book called the Power of Habit. One of the stories goes into Tony Dungy‘s coaching and how players, even after learning new skills and habits, revert back when in pressure or uncertain situations. Pete epitomizes this exactly hence the meddling. So, saying he has learned new tricks before we have even play a PRE season game is just ignorant.
The ad nauseam "meddling" hand-wringing itself is ignorant enough, so I mean... enough ignorance to go around, I suppose.

I'm not gonna say Pete's learned new tricks, so much as I'll say that he's ready to throw it back a decade now that the page has turned on the previous era. Leaning all-in on speed, athleticism, and hair-on-fire competitive energy.

GemCity

Reaction score
Getting offended at reality and justifying 8 wins (which btw, is a horrible season by most standards) is laughable at best.

You act like the “pessimists” aren’t Seahawks fans but, you’re wrong. It’s the sole reason we’re here.

Drew Lock will suck. Your game manager comment is reminiscent of posts I’ve seen throughout several years of Russ criticism. “Pete only needs a game manager!!” Ok. We’ll see. But as soon as you see that this is a total and complete farce, you’ll conjure another excuse.

Don’t get me wrong..I’m excited to see how our new guys develop. I’m excited to see the QB they’ve no doubt have already in their sights for next year’s draft. I also loved this years draft.

But, we’re going to suck this year. It’s part of the process. And that’s ok.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Getting offended at reality and justifying 8 wins (which btw, is a horrible season by most standards) is laughable at best.

You act like the “pessimists” aren’t Seahawks fans but, you’re wrong. It’s the sole reason we’re here.

Drew Lock will suck. Your game manager comment is reminiscent of posts I’ve seen throughout several years of Russ criticism. “Pete only needs a game manager!!” Ok. We’ll see. But as soon as you see that this is a total and complete farce, you’ll conjure another excuse.

Don’t get me wrong..I’m excited to see how our new guys develop. I’m excited to see the QB they’ve no doubt have already in their sights for next year’s draft. I also loved this years draft.

But, we’re going to suck this year. It’s part of the process. And that’s ok.
I think your comments are directed at the OP and his trolling title, not at me, but...

You say "game manager", Pete says "point guard". Jim Harbaugh turned Colin Krapperdick into a point guard QB on that Niners team that almost came back to beat Baltimore in the SB where the lights went out. And came within a Richard Sherman tip and Malcolm Smith INT of going back the next year.

Honestly, none of us know yet how badly (or if) the Hawks will suck. We don't know how badly Drew Lock will suck, and personally I'm leaving room for him to be halfway decent. Pete does need a game manager/point guard first and foremost, oh yeah, and who can also hit the deep shot. Jared Goff got the Rams to a Super Bowl (lost to Patriots), so Lock doesn't need to be Tom Brady; Jared Goff will do.

Personally, I enjoy the "haters" or "glass half empty" people, as a limiting mechanism for my occasional excessive optimism. We're all Seahawks Fans! We'll all celebrate that next SB win, just hoping it occurs within our lifetime!

GemCity

Reaction score
I think your comments are directed at the OP and his trolling title, not at me, but...

You say "game manager", Pete says "point guard". Jim Harbaugh turned Colin Krapperdick into a point guard QB on that Niners team that almost came back to beat Baltimore in the SB where the lights went out. And came within a Richard Sherman tip and Malcolm Smith INT of going back the next year.

Honestly, none of us know yet how badly (or if) the Hawks will suck. We don't know how badly Drew Lock will suck, and personally I'm leaving room for him to be halfway decent. Pete does need a game manager/point guard first and foremost, oh yeah, and who can also hit the deep shot. Jared Goff got the Rams to a Super Bowl (lost to Patriots), so Lock doesn't need to be Tom Brady; Jared Goff will do.

Personally, I enjoy the "haters" or "glass half empty" people, as a limiting mechanism for my occasional excessive optimism. We're all Seahawks Fans! We'll all celebrate that next SB win, just hoping it occurs within our lifetime!
Fair enough. Ultimately, no one can argue that we want this team to surprise folks this year.
I do feel like PC and JS have a solid direction forward. I just expect it to come to a realization a bit later.

keasley45

Reaction score
The defense is going to be very good, and it won't be a surprise. The 'weakest' spot on the unit is arguably CB. But from post draft scouting reports and camp news, it seems Bryant, Woolen and Burns look very very good, with Bryant and Woolen potentially competing for starting time. Add to that, Coleman (proven) , and Brown (stud last year) and you've got the makings of a hotbed for competition and wildcard xfactor this season.

Brooks was already 2nd in the league in tackles last year, ahead of Bobby, and Taylor is being hailed by the DC as far and away the most special player on the field so far. Again, saying nothing for the other pieces added and the praise Barton has been getting pretty much unanimously since last season.

DL - Hands down better than last year.

Safety - potentially the best duo in the league and in Diggs, the new captain of the D.

And... fastest wr Corp in the league with one of the top tandems in thr league. An electric RB tandem. One of the best,young TEs in the league, and a revamped offensive line.

All the talk from the defensive players and coaches to date has been that the scheme is one they prefer over what we ran last year, that it's not foreign, and that it allows them to be the aggressors - which they unanimously welcome.

The O will need some time to click with Shane implementing his system, really for the first time. But there, it comes down to how well the scheme manages the QB situation.

But I agree, the defense is going to be key to the season, as will the running game. And both look pretty damn good right now.