The D will help the Hawks get those 8 or more wins! Sorry Haters.

Fade

Reaction score
Are the haters the ones who refuse to believe in a false reality? Just wondering.

The defenses talent is fine on paper. So I can see why people would be hyped for the defense. The problem is low quality coordinaters can really drag down your talent level, and make you look worse than what you are.

I saw the same persistent issues on defense that have plagued the team for years. It's only pre-season, but the one thing going into this pre-season I didn't want to see is them get dogwalked up and down the field consistently.

It's lookin' like my worst fears realized already. Rookie DC is going to go running to Pete when adversity hits, and Pete is going to recommend soft zone, stay on top, and it's going to revert back to what it's always been.

@Twisted I thought it was the other way around. Harder to run on, easier to spread out and pass against? Linebacker on a WR.

The outside zone running games the Rams & 49ers feature have a harder time running against 3-4s. It's why Pete has been experimenting with 5-2 and 3-4 he's trying to find an answer for those teams in the division.

Clint Hurtt looked like a position coach trying to be a DC. Just like Norton. Pete's been passed by and can't help him. Just like Norton.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
@Fade

This will be an interesting change.

My understanding of the 3-4 currently is that it is easier to disguise your pressure, and it is easier to keep a LB back to deal with mobile QBs.

If you want to blitz your backers regularly or feel your DE are not good enough to get consistent pressure, a 3-4 makes sense if you have the NT & LBs for it.
But like anything it depends what you want to do.

Right now in the NFL, stopping the run isn't that important. Stopping the pass is.

4-3 is more conservative. We have a conservative, risk-averse coach. 3-4 can be better at dealing with multiple TEs, WRs, etc but if you play conservatively with a 3-4 you will get raced.
That is my concern.

I hope that we will be more aggressive in the regular season, and just don't want to show anything in the preseason. My experience is that whatever we do in the preseason is pretty much what we see regular season. And Pete doesn't like to take chances, so an aggressive blitzing defense isn't likely. Also Clint came from here, so it isn't like we can expect a whole new series of innovative defensive adjustments and concepts. We are pretty much going to get what we had before, because that is the water he was steeped in.
Hopefully not as dire as it sounds. But shifting to a 3-4 and then refusing to do all the things that make a 3-4 valuable, seems foolish.

Fade

Reaction score
I see what you mean. A couple of coverage busts, and some big runs given up, and Pete is going to trashcan this thing and go back to what he knows.

That's been the pattern anyway. They tried a new defense last year, but most people forgot that.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
I think this post is a good discussion that this team is better than the Haters like to preach. A good D will keep the Hawks in many games that an average game manager QB will be able to turn into a win.

The sky isn't falling in Seattle as many here would have you believe. This is not a "TOTAL REBUILD" regardless of how many times people need to say it.

This year will be a return to what made the Hawks great initially after Pete got here. The new QB will be had next year and he does not have to be from the first round.

The Hawks just needed to get off the RW merry-go-round and back to what made them good in the first place. The D will surprise many I bet.

Well Geno is way better than a game manager. In fact he is good enough with a strong D to get 10 wins or more.

Last edited: