The best defense of a generation

Mick063

Reaction score
If you were not convinced before, that performance against the Cardinals should have you pondering it.

The fourth and one stop was especially satisfying, but so was Earl's touchdown saving tackle. McCray chasing down Jefferson to save another touchdown. Cliff Avril bringing the heat. Frank Clark was a madman. So was Michael Bennett. Sherman made some viscous tackles and breakups. Shead broke up a sure touchdown. KJ Wright's sure tackling. The red zone defense was nothing short of spectacular. The entire unit never quit.

Then there is the beast of a middle linebacker, Bobby Wagner. WOW

McEvoy should be on the field more. He just makes plays.

Fade

Reaction score
Mick063":3tgqdvce said:
If you were not convinced before, that performance against the Cardinals should have you pondering it.

The fourth and one stop was especially satisfying, but so was Earl's touchdown saving tackle. McCray chasing down Jefferson to save another touchdown. Cliff Avril bringing the heat. Frank Clark was a madman. So was Michael Bennett. Sherman made some viscous tackles and breakups. Shead broke up a sure touchdown. The red zone defense was nothing short of spectacular. The entire unit never quit.

Then there is the beast of a middle linebacker, Bobby Wagner. WOW

McEvoy should be on the field more. He just makes plays.
Uhttp3A2F2Fmediariffsy

timmat

Reaction score
That defense collectively is an incredibly prideful group. It's almost like they are playing their own game, holding themselves to an incredibly high standard, regardless of the O. That's why you see them so upset when they give up a TD, even in blowout games. They seem to be motivated by defensive standings and historical significance. The play Earl made last night when Johnson kicked the pylon is a great example of a pure effort play most would not have made.

Wasting this historic D is my concern. Sort of like a pitching staff loaded with hall of famers on a team that can't score runs. We should be seeing multiple titles with this D.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Offensive line issues notwithstanding, both defenses played the best (or very close to it) defense of any match-up this year. Had Seattle played any other team's D, with the possible exception of Vikings, the T probably would have been a W. Just wish Seattle's D had better success getting the Cards offense off the field a bit more quickly.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
How many other teams can spot your opponent 45 minutes and hold them to a tie with only 15 minutes?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Oh.. Russ needs to treat the Special teams and the Defense to a dinner at Canalis.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
I'm behind all of this,they were totally awesome,if not, i ,in the u.k. might have got some sleep but the D and STs kept it going practically till dawn.Go on Russ,splash the cash.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
One thing that was troubling, this is the 2nd week in a row, where some unknown player has come in and torched us. Last week it was .. forget who. some backup TE, this week more of the same. Not that we haven't sprung anyone on other teams, but still.. playmakers have got to be accounted for, I think teams hope to sneak them by us.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow! Just wow! That was an EPIC defensive performance!

Years from now, people will talk about this game, and that defense!

"Did you see that! I watched the whole game and even though the offense struggled, the DEFENSE was UNREAL! Against a division rival! IN their HOUSE!" And I saw it all!"

Just freaking amazing!

To me, this was a win, because every team we play for the rest of this year will be intimidated!

Sure, I would have loved a win, but I'm thinking about the future, and how this defense is so much fun to watch!

253hawk

Reaction score
Earl is Captain Clutch around the goal line corners.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaneDaleABC15/status/790586413104394241[/tweet]

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see how the Cards fare against their next opponent after the WAR they just had with this Defense. The Seahawk Hangover if you will. And as much as I hated how we played on Offense and on ST I will likely never delete this game from my DVR! Privileged to have witnessed this spectacle!

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I just want Kam back. These guys are amazing, but missing a link like that....

With a healthy Kam I think we get back to creating a lot more turnovers.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love our defense. But just playing the Devils Advocate role. Wasnt Arizona the better defense last night? Gave up same number of points, but less yards.

Sealake80

Reaction score
We need to win the super bowl again soon. It would be a waste if we cant put it all together a couple more times in my opinion.

For the D's sake... ok for my sake...please get healthy on offense and improve over the year.

Jseahawks - we put our defense in the worst position possible last night. I read they were on the field longer than any other game in NFL history. To me that means we witnessed somthing special. I think it bodes well for the defense. They are beastly.

HawkGA

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1au4u9hq said:
I love our defense. But just playing the Devils Advocate role. Wasnt Arizona the better defense last night? Gave up same number of points, but less yards.

No. AZ's D had the benefit of a bunch of penalties against the O. Not saying that all the penalties weren't justified (some were and some weren't) but when you've got the other offense shooting itself in the foot, life is a lot easier.

mrt144

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3seql8mm said:

I think you could argue that but then you'd also start factoring in just how incompetent the respective offenses were. Despite all those yards put up what did they get from it? A tie.

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
Here is a thought experiment.

In that particular game, let the Cardinal defense play the Cardinal offense. Let the Seattle defense play the Seattle offense.

I would bet the farm that the Seattle defense would allow the fewest points.

What makes this defensive performance so awe inspiring is that the Seattle offense made it so difficult for the defense. The defense was on the field for 45 freaking minutes because the offense couldn't make a freaking first down. Of course they are going to give up some yardage. The defense was gassed by halftime. Way more fatigued than the Arizona defense.

You have to go back to the Stan Gelbaugh days to find an offense that can't cross midfield or can't convert a third down.

That well rested Cardinal defense was a function of Seattle's horrid offense.

october12thMAN

Reaction score
Nashville via Arlington High school, Arlington, WA
JSeahawks":3if42ra6 said:

Not at all if you factor in that they were ONLY on the field for 15 minutes and only gave up 6 points. Our D was on the field 45 minutes and ONLY gave up 6 points. And the cards had several chances from within the 10 yard line.

getnasty

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2sjvlt24 said:

I would say Arizonas offense was way better then ours. I hate that David Johnson is in our division, I felt like we did a great job against him and he still had almost 200 total yards. At this point I'd take him over any other back in the league. Also let's not forget our special teams, they played lights out, well outside of that last kick.