The best defense of a generation

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
daveyoung52":2xbbta0w said:
I'm behind all of this,they were totally awesome,if not, i ,in the u.k. might have got some sleep but the D and STs kept it going practically till dawn.Go on Russ,splash the cash.

Agreed, to others it might have been seen as a turgid display but it was an enthralling watch and I had to watch to the end. I was really suffering at work that's for sure.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Mick063":2aeqpfwz said:
Here is a thought experiment.

In that particular game, let the Cardinal defense play the Cardinal offense. Let the Seattle defense play the Seattle offense.

I would bet the farm that the Seattle defense would allow the fewest points.

What makes this defensive performance so awe inspiring is that the Seattle offense made it so difficult for the defense. The defense was on the field for 45 freaking minutes because the offense couldn't make a freaking first down. Of course they are going to give up some yardage. The defense was gassed by halftime. Way more fatigued than the Arizona defense.

You have to go back to the Stan Gelbaugh days to find an offense that can't cross midfield or can't convert a third down.

That well rested Cardinal defense was a function of Seattle's horrid offense.

First, great defensive performance Sunday night.

Second, the bolded above is partially true. It's also true, as horrific as our offensive play was, the defense allowed two 9 play drives and a 15 play drive in the 1st half. Arizona gained 30+ yds on 7 of 14 drives in the game. Their ability to keep points off the board was truly astounding.

It seems to always be a theme that the offense is solely responsible for time of possession disparity, when, like most things football, it's a team effort.

Now we only ran 6+ plays 3 out of 13 times (this might be the worst offensive Seahawks performance I've ever seen) so the offense completely failed but the defense does have some control over how many plays they are out there as well.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
timmat":18m0re24 said:
That defense collectively is an incredibly prideful group. It's almost like they are playing their own game, holding themselves to an incredibly high standard, regardless of the O. That's why you see them so upset when they give up a TD, even in blowout games. They seem to be motivated by defensive standings and historical significance. The play Earl made last night when Johnson kicked the pylon is a great example of a pure effort play most would not have made.

Wasting this historic D is my concern. Sort of like a pitching staff loaded with hall of famers on a team that can't score runs. We should be seeing multiple titles with this D.
Having a pricey magnificent Defense leaves no wiggle room for bankrolling an Offensive Line to hold up their end of the games.....Injuries to Russell Wilson is an unacceptable trade-off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3vsf4gff said:
I love our defense. But just playing the Devils Advocate role. Wasnt Arizona the better defense last night? Gave up same number of points, but less yards.

True, but the grit out defense showed having to play close to 50 minutes was pretty amazing and inspiring.

I didn't think we could ever have another defense as good as 2013, but this one is giving that group a run for it's money. If they can start getting TO's again and carry this offense until it gets healthy? Then I'm down with them being even better.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sunday was one of the best defensive performances you'll ever see in any game at any level.

This is the defense of the current era of NFL football. It's a blessing to witness.

hawker84

Reaction score
getnasty":1vo5283t said:
JSeahawks":1vo5283t said:
I love our defense. But just playing the Devils Advocate role. Wasnt Arizona the better defense last night? Gave up same number of points, but less yards.

I would say Arizonas offense was way better then ours. I hate that David Johnson is in our division, I felt like we did a great job against him and he still had almost 200 total yards. At this point I'd take him over any other back in the league. Also let's not forget our special teams, they played lights out, well outside of that last kick.

This. A good to great defense like AZ should feast on our abysmal O line, and they did. What our crew did against a good offense is truly impressive. Taking absolutely nothing away from AZ, they played lights out as well.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
They are great. I don't even know what superlatives can be used. I just don't. This team could go 16-0 with a half-decent offense.

One of the three or four great defenses of all time, and considering that the game is slanted heavily toward offenses nowadays, they might well be the greatest.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
october12thMAN":pqvnum9v said:
JSeahawks":pqvnum9v said:

Not at all if you factor in that they were ONLY on the field for 15 minutes and only gave up 6 points. Our D was on the field 45 minutes and ONLY gave up 6 points. And the cards had several chances from within the 10 yard line.

But to spin that the other way, the D is the only unit responsible for how long they are on the field.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
JSeahawks":31sut14t said:
Well, technically, I guess. But what D was on the field all night? AZ's D had nothing to do with inept play calling(and execution) and god awful Tackle performance(the play calling was the worst). TOP was the real story here. Our O is going to ruin what ever legacy this D should have. You cannot have games with a 28:39 time for the D to rest. It is amazing that they only gave up 422 yards.

Giblien

Reaction score
I gotta agree. I can't remember a team defense having such a long streak of dominance. Honestly, I think we need to start comparing them to the steel curtain. And think about this, there were fewer teams to compete with (in regards to comparing #1 rankings) and fewer rules to help the offense when the steel curtain reigned.

Road_Dogs

Reaction score
With the amounts of minutes the defense played. Just be grateful no serious injuries happened.

They bent but did not break. If they can keep it up. They can carry our inept offense to the super bowl.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Shame it will be wasted with our crappy offense. :stirthepot:

Wish I didn't have to think this way, maybe we will figure out how to score consistently on offense this year. I'll keep my hopes up.

Even a slightly better than average offense takes this team back to the superb owl, imo.

Which is why I hope we figure things out on offense quickly.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Giblien":3faci51l said:
I gotta agree. I can't remember a team defense having such a long streak of dominance. Honestly, I think we need to start comparing them to the steel curtain. And think about this, there were fewer teams to compete with (in regards to comparing #1 rankings) and fewer rules to help the offense when the steel curtain reigned.

Haha, I love that avatar. That commercial is hilarious.

Maulbert

Reaction score
10 games away from becoming the only team in NFL history besides the 1950's Browns to lead the league in points allowed 5 straight seasons. Just think: no one in the entire Super Bowl era has EVER done that. Not the 60's Rams. Not the 70's Steelers or Vikings. Not the 80's Bears. Not the 00's Ravens or Buccaneers. No one. Just the 50's Browns, who played in a 12 team league. 20 fewer teams, with 4 fewer games a year.

Giblien

Reaction score
Maulbert":18zzvb3c said:
10 games away from becoming the only team in NFL history besides the 1950's Browns to lead the league in points allowed 5 straight seasons. Just think: no one in the entire Super Bowl era has EVER done that. Not the 60's Rams. Not the 70's Steelers or Vikings. Not the 80's Bears. Not the 00's Ravens or Buccaneers. No one. Just the 50's Browns, who played in a 12 team league. 20 fewer teams, with 4 fewer games a year.

Exactly. I honestly think we have the best defense over a 4 season span in the history of the game. I don't think that is an overstatement in the slightest. In fact, I don't have the know how, but it would be really cool to see a statistical analysis of our team against the Steelers of the 70's, the bears of the 80's and so on. Get the best 4 season span from these classic teams and see how they match up.