Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3i80wzb0 said:
Hope we grab an early goal on Sunday and park the bus.

This is what Colorado has been doing all year at home, they're undefeated and have the most 1-0 wins in the MLS.

So me thinks it'll make for a wild and crazy first half of both clubs trying to get that first goal.

Weather shouldn't be a factor, as of now it's suppose to be in the low 50's and partly sunny on Sunday.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ve1ouo8 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2ve1ouo8 said:
Hope we grab an early goal on Sunday and park the bus.

This is what Colorado has been doing all year at home, they're undefeated and have the most 1-0 wins in the MLS.

So me thinks it'll make for a wild and crazy first half of both clubs trying to get that first goal.

Weather shouldn't be a factor, as of now it's suppose to be in the low 50's and partly sunny on Sunday.

It's why I love the aggregate system.

I'd suggest the opposite. No need for Colorado to change the tactics they have been employing all year, and certainly no need to chase a goal early on.

I could see this remaining 0-0 until the 70th minute and then Colorado starting to expose themselves. No need to do until then, as 1 goal in 90 minutes is not a panic inducing concern.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2qvup4r9 said:
I could see this remaining 0-0 until the 70th minute and then Colorado starting to expose themselves. No need to do until then, as 1 goal in 90 minutes is not a panic inducing concern.

Maybe, that's risky of Colorado to play it safe for 70 minutes, we have the aggregate advantage. If it gets that far 0-0? Then we'll park the bus like no one's ever parked a bus before.

But I don't think that'll happen. I expect a similar match to last night, sloppy and cautious for the first 20-30 minutes, then Seattle start to impose their will...............cause as soon as Lodeiro came here this is how most of our matches have gone. Other clubs can keep up with him for a half or so, but his workrate is so relentless that our possession and chances spike in the 2nd half.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ejlygcn said:
Uncle Si":2ejlygcn said:

Maybe, that's risky of Colorado to play it safe for 70 minutes, we have the aggregate advantage. If it gets that far 0-0? Then we'll park the bus like no one's ever parked a bus before.

But I don't think that'll happen. I expect a similar match to last night, sloppy and cautious for the first 20-30 minutes, then Seattle start to impose their will...............cause as soon as Lodeiro came here this is how most of our matches have gone. Other clubs can keep up with him for a half or so, but his workrate is so relentless that our possession and chances spike in the 2nd half.

I am not suggesting they are waiting to keep it 0-0 until the 70th minute. What I am saying is there is no need to change anything that has made them so convincing at home unless its 0-0 in the 70th minute.

And did Seattle impose their will? They set up to counter in many stretches and Colorado seemed to negate that threat with good recoveries.

The bigger question here is how does Seattle set up. Are they aggressive from the start and try to pen the Rapids back a bit, or do they sit and try and lure them into exposing gaps for counters

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3cg4vtqs said:
And did Seattle impose their will? They set up to counter in many stretches and Colorado seemed to negate that threat with good recoveries.

Look at the match stats from last night, it's exactly as I described above. As the match progressed Lodeiro with help from Ozzie, Morris and our quicker outside backs started to pressure Colorado more and more, thus gaining the time of possession and shots on goal.

It's what we've done most matches since Lodeiro was signed. Our speed and quickness wears slower MLS clubs down. Colorado has a good backline, but their mids and forwards can't keep up for 90.

That's what I mean by impose our will. So yeah, I don't expect much different Sunday than what I we saw last night. This team's rolling, no way Schmetzer changes anything lineup wise or tactically.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I watched the match. I didnt see a team imposing their will. I saw a team adjust to counters and keep play in front of them. Recaps seemed to back that thought as well. I also saw Colorado create the best chances after the penalty. They seemed comfortable at 2-1.

it's not the first match I've ever watched. If Seattle come out running they will play into hands of the home team. But they don't seem capable of holding the ball either. Lodeiro will be key. Can he trigger counters and calm play when it calls for it and frustrate Colorado into some early panic. He's probably the best player out there so good chance he is up to it. Morris is the other key. I would be surprised if it's anything similar to the last match. BUt it's the MLS, so who the hell knows.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's absolutely a joy to watch Lodeiro out there. His speed, quickness, technical ability is cut above the majority of other players. He has "it". Man, how nice it would have been to see him play with guys like Martins. Morris is good but Martins was now. One match away from being in MLS Final, this team has come a long way from where they were in June or July.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Ladies & Gentlemen, YOUR 2016 Western Conference Champions, Seattle Sounders FC!

Huge goal by Morris, who showed a lot of heart & toughness playing today.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Ya beauty. Hope everyone is fit and healthy in 13 days. Also really hope we host it, c'mon Montreal!

I saw Dempsey being video'd training. Any chance he can play with it being the final and all? Literally the biggest game of the season.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great win. Kudos to all the guys. They earned this. Morris is iron man. He wasn't feeling well and yet stuck it out even after hurting his knee. Great goal by Morris on a wonderful assist by Valdes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Handled that press from Colorado very well, even when turning it over they managed to recover on the press and stay disciplined. Very solid, disciplined effort.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":r64qv6r0 said:
I saw Dempsey being video'd training. Any chance he can play with it being the final and all? Literally the biggest game of the season.

No way in hell Schmetzer disrupts the chemistry right now on the club, even if Dempsey was healthy. Unless it's to just allow him to be on the bench and MAYBE come in as a 80th minute super sub if we're down a goal or two.

But holy moly what a great win and potentially one of the greatest fairy tale seasons ever in the MLS. C'mon one more match!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Yeah was thinking more as a super sub or in extra time if at all. Your right about chemistry though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":2apw9zux said:
TransGenderHawkFan":2apw9zux said:
Sgt. Largent":2apw9zux said:
Awesome Twitter video of players celebrating..........so happy for these guys.

https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/8 ... 7282679808

That made my pants tight.

Well I hope they enjoyed it as TFC will shut them down.

Ahhh snap, let the trash talking begin!

What a great match last night, one of the best I've ever seen in any league. Even though I think Toronto is a better matchup for the Sounders, I was obviously rooting for Montreal so the finals could be here.

Let's hope Bradley and Altidore do what they do for the USMNT as of late, nothing.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5fak101p said:
TorontoHawk":5fak101p said:
TransGenderHawkFan":5fak101p said:
Sgt. Largent":5fak101p said:

What a great match last night, one of the best I've ever seen in any league. Even though I think Toronto is a better matchup for the Sounders, I was obviously rooting for Montreal so the finals could be here.

Let's hope Bradley and Altidore do what they do for the USMNT as of late, nothing.

Will b e a good game, think the Sounders have the edge team wise, but with the home field advantage will even it out. I can't believe they are playing a game in Canada in mid December, let me tell you wearing full winter gear and it will still be cold good luck to them wearing shorts.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":92544wty said:
TorontoHawk":92544wty said:
TransGenderHawkFan":92544wty said:
Sgt. Largent":92544wty said:

They still have Gio. I think he'll be more of a problem for the Sounders than Bradley or Jozy would. Sounders defense needs to play its best game. They are very shaky at best. Considering TFC can score, if it gets into a scoring battle...the Sounders are at a huge disadvantage. I don't think the Sounders can match score for score with TFC.