Seattle Mariners @ San Diego Padres Jun 6-7

bileever

Reaction score
I hate to dredge up old complaints, but to me, the flaw in the roster construction was replacing Winker and Frazier with Hernandez and Wong. Not that keeping Winker and Frazier would have been better, but you can't replace them with players that go against your philosopy. With Teoscar, you replaced your best contact/walk guy with someone who strikes out 150 times a year. That's no way to get better. We already have guys who can strike out 150 times a year--we don't want more of them. Also, it made no sense to trade for a one-year rental. Signing Michael Conforto, someone who walks as much as Winker, would have made more sense.

I don't want to dump on Wong but the problem there was that it was never going to be a big improvement over Frazier. MLBtraderumors suggested that the Mariners sign Brandon Drury and I think he signed for about the same price as Kolten Wong. Did Dipoto think that Wong and Hernandez were truly going to be upgrades?

Sorry to bring this up, had to get it off my chest.

Chapow

Reaction score
I don't want to dump on Wong but the problem there was that it was never going to be a big improvement over Frazier.

Sorry to snip your post, it's a good post and I agree with basically everything you said.

The reason I'm focusing on this particular comment is because it hits the nail on the head. Not just for Wong/Frazier, but for the whole offseason. It seems like they were just trying to tread water at best. Make a few moves that, if everything goes really well, maybe just might improve the team by a teeny tiny margin, but those moves were always much more likely to yield similar results to last year, if not a bit worse.

To me, it looked/looks like they intentionally made the decision to not improve the team, but to hope those moves were just barely good enough to just barely squeak back into the playoffs if everything went well. Well, so far, things have not gone well.

bileever

Reaction score
Winker has been BRUTAL this year. But yeah, this management and ownership clearly cares about making $ over being a legit contender. It's f'ing maddening.
Agree, had to move on from Winker--plus I think he wasn't a good fit in the clubhouse. BUT, even with his bad season last year, Winker did walk 84 times and we don't have anyone like that this year. Michael Conforto has also walked 84 times a couple of seasons, and is a better player, an all-star with 30 HR power. I think he would have loved to come back home and would have signed for less in Seattle.

Also I don't have a problem with moving on from Frazier, it's just who we got to replace him.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sorry to snip your post, it's a good post and I agree with basically everything you said.

The reason I'm focusing on this particular comment is because it hits the nail on the head. Not just for Wong/Frazier, but for the whole offseason. It seems like they were just trying to tread water at best. Make a few moves that, if everything goes really well, maybe just might improve the team by a teeny tiny margin, but those moves were always much more likely to yield similar results to last year, if not a bit worse.

To me, it looked/looks like they intentionally made the decision to not improve the team, but to hope those moves were just barely good enough to just barely squeak back into the playoffs if everything went well. Well, so far, things have not gone well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dipoto actually thought those were good moves and Wong was going to elevate the team.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if Dipoto actually thought those were good moves and Wong was going to elevate the team.
I think he knew what he was getting same with Hernandez, but probably had hopes that perhaps they could resurrect their careers here. The alternative, we already knew about and if they don't have better years.(wong and all) nothing really lost.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Anyone else not like seeing a cold Kelenic batting 4th? Also why is Cabby still batting last? He's got great OBP at .380. Servis is putting 3 players with an OBP of .250 or lower in front of Cabby. C'mon Scotty.

Chapow

Reaction score
Really good outing by Logan, Munoz looked fantastic, Sewald got into a bit of trouble but was able to work out of it with no damage done, offense was able to muster enough runs for a comfortable-ish win. Good bounce back considering they were utterly humiliated in Texas.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Anyone else not like seeing a cold Kelenic batting 4th? Also why is Cabby still batting last? He's got great OBP at .380. Servis is putting 3 players with an OBP of .250 or lower in front of Cabby. C'mon Scotty.
You bat Cabbie last because he gets on base for JP, Ty, and Julio. 🤷‍♂️

Chapow

Reaction score
On another note, how in the world are the Padres this bad? They have the 3rd highest payroll in MLB, that lineup is loaded with stars, and a lot the guys that aren't stars are still really good players. They have the 2nd worst team BA in baseball behind only the A's and they're hitting .195 with runners in scoring position. They have a worse record than us, with a drastically better roster. What the hell is happening in San Diego?

Chapow

Reaction score
You bat Cabbie last because he gets on base for JP, Ty, and Julio. 🤷‍♂️

This. A lot of teams are putting a high OBP guy in the 9 spot now a days. It's usually pretty beneficial to have a guy on base for the top of the lineup.

Crizilla

Reaction score
"Usually beneficial". Agree though right now it's not beneficial because we have .100 hitters with a bad OBP going before him. You're basically getting nothing. Actually I would keep Kelenic at the 4 spot for now because I like having a couple lefties in the top half of the line up. I would go with:

JP
France
Julio
Kelenic
Teo
Cabby (line up reset)
Suarez
Cal
Ford

I still think they should fire hitting coach. Having 4 of your guys be top 4 in strikeouts in the league is philosophical problem. France has 40 strikeouts while JK, Julio, and Teo all have 70+. For some reason this coaching staff has those 3 guys swing for the fences like absolute maniacs. There's no coaching going on. Nobody on the staff is helping our guys.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
On another note, how in the world are the Padres this bad? They have the 3rd highest payroll in MLB, that lineup is loaded with stars, and a lot the guys that aren't stars are still really good players. They have the 2nd worst team BA in baseball behind only the A's and they're hitting .195 with runners in scoring position. They have a worse record than us, with a drastically better roster. What the hell is happening in San Diego?
Some wanted us to get Soto..Ha Ha