Seattle’s two picks from Denver in 2023 draft

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The draft strategy will hinge on what the Hawks decide to do with free agency. With plenty of cap space I anticipate the Hawks just loading up on talent on both sides of the ball.
The cap situation is a lot worse than most think. They’re still carrying some bad contracts and are sitting at roughly 30 mil (after draft picks reserves) with maybe half a roster under contract.

It‘s not horrible, just don’t think they can afford to be big players in free agency. Resigning Geno alone could eat up the discretionary dollars.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Feels like it should be DT, S, C with first three in about that order. But, lots of time between now and then.

Like that kid out of ND at S, Rudiger is it? (Joseph)

sc85sis

Reaction score
He hasn't traded down with a round 1 pick since 2019

He probably will with one of them this time, but he generally likes to stick and pick with higher picks
Agreed. I suspect if there’s a trade down, it comes from the lower pick not the one that’s high in the first.

Scout

Reaction score
The cap situation is a lot worse than most think. They’re still carrying some bad contracts and are sitting at roughly 30 mil (after draft picks reserves) with maybe half a roster under contract.

It‘s not horrible, just don’t think they can afford to be big players in free agency. Resigning Geno alone could eat up the discretionary dollars.

According to over the cap the team is projected to have $53.8 m in cap space in 2023 with the only dead money from Carson and Dunlap.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I would like to see us sit pat at QB for next season and maneuver to have a high pick in 24 to get our QB of the future...while we bask in the glow of developing another incoming class of studs to bolster our overall talent level with the haul of picks we get in the upcoming draft.
Jalon Daniels is our QB of the future.

Atradees

Reaction score
what if we got the #1 pick. Wouldn't that be amazing? The next Aaron Donald or Suh? The Rodgers? Set up for a decade. Fastest rebuild ever. Who is the cant miss generational talent in this draft??

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
According to over the cap the team is projected to have $53.8 m in cap space in 2023 with the only dead money from Carson and Dunlap.
This is a nice breakdown of the cap by Curtis Allen @ SDB:

33 players (zero QBs) under contract with 28 million in discretionary dollars by his calculation.

There are of course ways to free up more cap and he suggests a few, however, they all involve trade offs.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
what if we got the #1 pick. Wouldn't that be amazing? The next Aaron Donald or Suh? The Rodgers? Set up for a decade. Fastest rebuild ever. Who is the cant miss generational talent in this draft??
If we get it because the Broncos manage to suck that bad and everyone else doesn't, that would be fantastic. Otherwise, I'd prefer not to trade up.

But more than anything else, I trust PC&JS to trust their board. I trust them to trust their grades. If they approach this upcoming draft like they did the last draft, I'm sure I will be stoked no matter what they do.

chrispy

Reaction score
This is a nice breakdown of the cap by Curtis Allen @ SDB:

33 players (zero QBs) under contract with 28 million in discretionary dollars by his calculation.

There are of course ways to free up more cap and he suggests a few, however, they all involve trade offs.
Good write up, but I think it was written early in the season, maybe after week 3. I think much of the focus, to play cheap rookies/youngsters and be ready to use them or cut them for 23 season, is playing out. The article does, however, explain how cap room will be tight for 2 years as Wilson's and Adam's contracts expire. So .. it's important that there are 3 or 4 or 5 starters (or immediate impact) players in the upcoming draft. Re-signing Geno and signing rookies with very little FA activity may be the approach. That may also turn into a good comp pick or maybe multiple....
I had expected Adams to be part of the roster for 2 more years, but article explains the savings in cutting him next year (hopefully renegotiating but...).

Rainger

Reaction score
It would be sweet. Hawks have never had the 1st pick in the draft in their history. Pray Denver loses out.

nwHawk

Reaction score
What from Lock has made you think he’s a keeper? I haven’t heard anything pointing to him being the QB of the future.
Well, what before this season made you think Geno could be a top 5 QB.

Point is, we have no idea what goes on inside the building and at practice.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
And how often do those can't miss qbs pan out?
Honestly the NFL draft destroys can't miss QBs all the time. Top 5 qbs go to horrible teams that can't protect them, and generally don't have weapons. Being a top 5 prospect is dangerous business.

Can't miss prospect on the hawks would give that can't miss prospect every chance to prove it.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Honestly the NFL draft destroys can't miss QBs all the time. Top 5 qbs go to horrible teams that can't protect them, and generally don't have weapons. Being a top 5 prospect is dangerous business.

Can't miss prospect on the hawks would give that can't miss prospect every chance to prove it.
That does make sense. My only question is.. Do PC/JS want to go QB with a top 10 pick? I kind of don't see them doing it
Which makes me think they totally do it.

QWERTY

Reaction score
It would be sweet. Hawks have never had the 1st pick in the draft in their history. Pray Denver loses out.
There's no way Seattle would get a 1st overall pick. Texans won't win another game at all. They are committed to tank.
I think Seattle will end up getting the second overall pick.

There's a chance for a 2nd overall pick but I believe the order would be

1. Texans
2. Bears.

3th-7th pick would be in play for the Seahawks, but it all depends on if Panthers can beat the Broncos. The 3 teams that worry me that won't be able to win games are Texans, Bears and Rams.

Latest posts