Russell Wilson: passing problems

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
We are so injury jinxed at the minute that when I read this thread title I thought RW had kidney stones.

evergreen

Reaction score
Interesting article over at , cough, bleacher report about this although he references the Rams game and says RW could've won that game!? Yeah, 300 yds passing and 100 yds rushing wasn't enough. Give me a break. But otherwise it's ok.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2255 ... on-weapons
and I saw those weird throws to no one also. I read RW had rating 109 on throws to baldwin and lynch but abysmal to the rest. Were the throws to Baldwin and Lynch along the sidelines? You'd see him throw down field to the middle of two guys and then hit Lynch or Baldwin right along the sideline.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I do notice quite a few sideline throws. I think this is usually attributed to him scrambling for his life and trying to make a play down field.

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
tom sawyer":icj9i5d4 said:
Wilson completed a season-low 49 percent of his passes yesterday.

That's not all the receivers fault, not the line, not the play calling. He just seems to be lacking confidence and getting frustrated.

Maybe he needs to get his eyes checked?!!

FART :34853_doh:

SeaChase

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawkFan":1gatqj32 said:
tom sawyer":1gatqj32 said:
Wilson completed a season-low 49 percent of his passes yesterday.

That's not all the receivers fault, not the line, not the play calling. He just seems to be lacking confidence and getting frustrated.

Maybe he needs to get his eyes checked?!!

FART :34853_doh:

Are you referring to Wilson's smelly performance?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The one thing that stood out today was, he took a backseat and let the running game take over. Most QB would love to keep passing, and that might of lost the game for us. Whatever is going on with Wilson's passing, I'm glad it still early n the season and we are winning regardless of it, but I do hope he gets back on track.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Brock, in today's show, pointed out something I hadn't heard. He was suggesting that the volume of running Russell's doing is impacting his passing. To paraphrase Brock, imagine doing a bunch of up-downs and then try to be precise with a pass. Russell is 15th in running yards in the NFL. Those are RB numbers. Wear out your foundation, legs, and much like a basketball player, your shot starts to fall off.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
pmedic920":lvc7w1nm said:
9-0 vs Super Bowl winning QBs.

Not too bad if you ask me.
:{)

W vs L is the only statistic that REALLY matters.

Cherry picking statistics is fun, right?

Cartire

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1v9b4f6s said:
pmedic920":1v9b4f6s said:
9-0 vs Super Bowl winning QBs.

Not too bad if you ask me.
:{)

W vs L is the only statistic that REALLY matters.

Cherry picking statistics is fun, right?

Anyone calling W/L records a cherry picked stat clearly only watches the NFL for fantasy reasons.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm sorry, W/L is a cherry picked stat to anyone with half a brain. Yes, it's important, and RW's ability to win should be counted as a bonus and a stat that matters, but it doesn't overcome his recent lack of ability to throw the ball on a consistent basis.

I don't know what the solution is, but we seem to be getting by with handing the ball to Lynch and then optioning for a RW run. Doug Baldwin has done an excellent job as well even though his numbers werent that good yesterday.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3e2eie8u said:
I'm sorry, W/L is a cherry picked stat to anyone with half a brain. Yes, it's important, and RW's ability to win should be counted as a bonus and a stat that matters, but it doesn't overcome his recent lack of ability to throw the ball on a consistent basis.

I don't know what the solution is, but we seem to be getting by with handing the ball to Lynch and then optioning for a RW run. Doug Baldwin has done an excellent job as well even though his numbers werent that good yesterday.

In the grand scheme of things, how is it cherry picked? If we keep winning, and make it to another Owl, and win it yet again while looking ugly, is it still cherry picked? I just don't get the reasoning behind this line of thought. Winning is the only thing that matters in the NFL, no matter how pretty, or ugly, those wins are. You can look great all season and still lose it in the end *cough* Donkeys! *cough*.

Cartire

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2e32n7bs said:
I'm sorry, W/L is a cherry picked stat to anyone with half a brain.

You are correct. Anyone with only half a brain would think this is a cherry picked stat.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3v0gde74 said:
SonicHawk":3v0gde74 said:

In the grand scheme of things, how is it cherry picked? If we keep winning, and make it to another Owl, and win it yet again while looking ugly, is it still cherry picked? I just don't get the reasoning behind this line of thought. Winning is the only thing that matters in the NFL, no matter how pretty, or ugly, those wins are. You can look great all season and still lose it in the end *cough* Donkeys! *cough*.

I'm not saying we can't win. Not every Super Bowl champion has had a good passing game and RW isn't always mediocre at passing. But W/L isn't necessarily a reflection on total ability. We have the top ranked run D and O, that's pretty freakin' special. You don't necessarily need Peyton Manning to win a SB with a team like that.

But I'm not ready to crown RW as some QB prodigy when he struggles throwing the ball. It's simply a fact that he has had trouble.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Not every game is going to be perfect, add in the fact Wilson is missing some key pieces from last year (Tate (front offices choice), Breno and Harvin (to a much lesser degree), Miller (who I think is HUGE, since he doesn't have a reliable safety valve with Miler and Tate out and gone) and Unger off and on (a good center helps make correct line calls and helps out a QB A LOT), plus adding in the fact that Russell has been under pressure at a high level with a rookie at RT and backups filling in all over the line and you have a QB that might not have A+ (or even solid B) weeks every week. Not every win will be fun or pretty, but as long as they win....... Wilson will be just fine in the long run as long as the O-line doesn't get him killed this season.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ow7uby2 said:
OkieHawk":1ow7uby2 said:
SonicHawk":1ow7uby2 said:

I'm not saying we can't win. Not every Super Bowl champion has had a good passing game and RW isn't always mediocre at passing. But W/L isn't necessarily a reflection on total ability. We have the top ranked run D and O, that's pretty freakin' special. You don't necessarily need Peyton Manning to win a SB with a team like that.

But I'm not ready to crown RW as some QB prodigy when he struggles throwing the ball. It's simply a fact that he has had trouble.

Most people on this board agree that he is having a slump/problems. But since this IS a team sport, W/L stats do matter.

Cartire

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1er1cfg1 said:
OkieHawk":1er1cfg1 said:
SonicHawk":1er1cfg1 said:

Im fine with Russell having a few bad games in a row. Even if during his bad games, hes still tearing it up on the ground and leading us to victories. Every QB has some bad games. I remember a 2 game stretch with Drew Brees 2 years ago where one of the best QB's in the league threw 8 INT in those 2 games. 5 in one vs Atlanta. It happens. But still to small of a sample size to get overly concerned about it. Especially with the 2+ years of pretty convincing stats and plays that we have all seen.