Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Another way to look at this is: If there was no other way to get Williams than to pay his $10M salary this year, would it have been worth a 2nd round pick to be able to not only get Williams, but also an extra $10M in cap space for the rest of this year? That's effectively what trading with the Giants did for us. The trade just used the Giants' cap space instead of ours, and the Giants received extra value in picks for it.

toffee

Reaction score
In my ideal world, we made this deal, which has good, we also made the chase young deal. By the end of the season, we let Chase go, get a com pic.

That way, we will have three 3rd round picks. We can trade two of those for a second.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wish is it was that easy to just go get two stud D Lineman. It takes two to make it happen. And getting TWO guys who are on the final year of their deals? Hmmm, kind of risky.

rcaido

Reaction score
In my ideal world, we made this deal, which has good, we also made the chase young deal. By the end of the season, we let Chase go, get a com pic.

That way, we will have three 3rd round picks. We can trade two of those for a second.
That wont work in the real world because you have to give up one of your two 3rd round pick. You lose one, you only have one left. Then if Chase leaves, you get one if we dont lose the comp. So at most we would have 2 3rd round pick.

Seahawks should have just gotten Young Sweat for 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. We would have the best defense in the NFL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

We got a great player, as did the Niners. Two teams that made their defense better. Can't have every player out there.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yes we are a better team then 3 days ago. We did something to improve, just wish we went w/ the twoskins instead.

toffee

Reaction score
That wont work in the real world because you have to give up one of your two 3rd round pick. You lose one, you only have one left. Then if Chase leaves, you get one if we dont lose the comp. So at most we would have 2 3rd round pick.

Seahawks should have just gotten Young Sweat for 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. We would have the best defense in the NFL.
You are right, I should have said if we let both Williams and Young go, could we get two comp 3rd? Nevertheless, all these woulda coulda talks are just for fun and wasting time.

Jville

Reaction score
Draft Capital is used differently over the course of the year.

The Williams trade accelerates the growth of this year's defense in a timely way and in a big way.

Clint will get Williams more one on ones in his rotational system.

Williams will benefit from a little more recovery time with a slightly reduced game snap count that encourages all out play. No pacing required.

This year is an audition for both player and team fit. An audition that is a two way street.

The Giants need to sandbag picks. The Seahawks don't.

One day at a time for a team that is loaded at so many developing positions.

It's only going to get better.

BASF

Reaction score
Pocic and the Browns guards pushed our interior d-line around last game to the tune of 37 minutes of time of possession. We need to get that cleaned up if we want to make a run this season. Williams is an upgrade over Edwards and a major upgrade over a rookie who needs more experience in Young and a massive upgrade over Mone even if he returns to form after his injury. I am very happy with the trade. The only people who don't know the player are fantasy players who only look at stats and people who don't pay attention to d-line play.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
Elite interior play > Elite edge play, all day, every day and twice on Sundays.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
While I like the fact that he is here, I'm going to wait and see his impact and then the contract he signs for next. Good d linemen are always good to have, but I hope they dont have to make a painful cut later to afford him.

Reactions: Xxx

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Mebane and Bryant, who we have all acknowledged as being two of the key cogs of our LOB success and quasi benchmarks for what the team needs on the DLine COMBINED for 19 sacks in a combined 15 years in Seattle. 1.3 sacks per year between the two of them.

Its about way more than the sacks. Everyone else's sack numbers will go up because of this move.
Very true. Even if he doesn't pile on the sacks, he can free up other guys to get some. And if he makes the run d even more stingy, it'll cause the opposing team to throw more which can get our secondary more picks. Tough to see a downside so far. You get a monster for a second rounder, a second rounder that 50 / 50 could have been used on a turd.

Xxx

Reaction score
I think Leonard is great. We overpaid though if we don’t sign him which seems a bleaker and bleaker possibility as this ship continues to plow through docks and into the shore on its way to destruction

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don’t think we’ve seen all this player will bring to the table. He is a leader and big bad mofo, just sayin’.

Let’s wait and watch before the knee jerk response that the team overpaid for him. This guy has genuine character, and is a leader, keeping him around to me might be a good thing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was miked-up and at the end of the game had an exchange with a Dallas player asking him about how things were in Seattle to which he responded positively. It was unguarded and I suspect his relationship with the Giants was pretty uncomfortable.

That is interesting b/c he has been a solid DLineman since being a 1st rd draft pick, so it was either money or flat out disagreement with the team as to their direction. He seems happy as.a Seahawks and well regarded by his teammates. My question, so why did they eat his salary to rid themselves of a good player?