Peteball at it's finest!

getnasty

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2ddk7h3b said:
getnasty":2ddk7h3b said:
Show us the game by game breakdown of pre snap motion. I have yet to see it.

Or you could have just watched the games to see that it wasnt there.

I did watched the game and the biggest difference in the offense that i noticed was a healthy RB, a healthy QB, and better execution.

That doesn't mean pre snap motion didn't help but it would at least be interesting to see the game by game breakdown of it if anyone had access to it.

I guess i'll just take your word for it though that Pete doesn't like pre snap motion because it makes the offesne to effective. Thus he nixed it until they were out of playoff contention only to bring it back to save his job at the end of the year.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":2rc7zomp said:
pittpnthrs":2rc7zomp said:
getnasty":2rc7zomp said:

I did watched the game and the biggest difference in the offense that i noticed was a healthy RB, a healthy QB, and better execution.

That doesn't mean pre snap motion didn't help but it would at least be interesting to see the game by game breakdown of it if anyone had access to it.

I guess i'll just take your word for it though that Pete doesn't like pre snap motion because it makes the offesne to effective. Thus he nixed it until they were out of playoff contention only to bring it back to save his job at the end of the year.

Well u don't have to take anyone's word. Read his book. He wants to play great defense. Run, control the clock and chunk pass plays. We wants no chances. Wants to thrown out side the numbers. He wants to line up and out execute. It's in his book.

That said it appears he has figured out we can't do that anymore that only works when u have superior talent as almost all positions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3hx96g18 said:
getnasty":3hx96g18 said:
pittpnthrs":3hx96g18 said:
getnasty":3hx96g18 said:

Well u don't have to take anyone's word. Read his book. He wants to play great defense. Run, control the clock and chunk pass plays. We wants no chances. Wants to thrown out side the numbers. He wants to line up and out execute. It's in his book.

That said it appears he has figured out we can't do that anymore that only works when u have superior talent as almost all positions.

The book is a decade old... lots of schematic changes since then. Like, a LOT of schematic changes.

kf3339

Reaction score
John63":30be65fc said:
getnasty":30be65fc said:
pittpnthrs":30be65fc said:
getnasty":30be65fc said:

That is exactly what he had at SC. The very top players came to SC and he had that talent advantage. He didn't need to game plan and out execute the other team as his talent made up the difference. He was able to find and play that same type of talent the first few years here and it won one SB. But other teams figured him out. That is why since those two SB years he has slowly lost his edge. He just won't change his system even though other teams have passed his style of play many years ago. He can keep you in the conversation, but forget about anything more than a one and done playoff run. It's just not going to happen.

getnasty

Reaction score
John63":3hkzbcyr said:
getnasty":3hkzbcyr said:
pittpnthrs":3hkzbcyr said:
getnasty":3hkzbcyr said:

Like i said i'll take your word Pete doesn't want the offesne to succeed. It makes sense that he wouldn't.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
kf3339":3m7v6f7a said:
John63":3m7v6f7a said:
getnasty":3m7v6f7a said:
pittpnthrs":3m7v6f7a said:

That is exactly what he had at SC. The very top players came to SC and he had that talent advantage. He didn't need to game plan and out execute the other team as his talent made up the difference. He was able to find and play that same type of talent the first few years here and it won one SB. But other teams figured him out. That is why since those two SB years he has slowly lost his edge. He just won't change his system even though other teams have passed his style of play many years ago. He can keep you in the conversation, but forget about anything more than a one and down playoff run. It's just not going to happen.

Yes, success does suck. I'd only consider hiring coaches that have exclusively been employed by perennial losers.

kf3339

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":4aid7yay said:
kf3339":4aid7yay said:
John63":4aid7yay said:
getnasty":4aid7yay said:

That is exactly what he had at SC. The very top players came to SC and he had that talent advantage. He didn't need to game plan and out execute the other team as his talent made up the difference. He was able to find and play that same type of talent the first few years here and it won one SB. But other teams figured him out. That is why since those two SB years he has slowly lost his edge. He just won't change his system even though other teams have passed his style of play many years ago. He can keep you in the conversation, but forget about anything more than a one and down playoff run. It's just not going to happen.

Yes, success does suck. I'd only consider hiring coaches that have exclusively been employed by perennial losers.

It's not what I said at all.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
kf3339":1mbu32ga said:
Maelstrom787":1mbu32ga said:
kf3339":1mbu32ga said:
John63":1mbu32ga said:

Fair enough, but I think the criticism is weak, especially considering that he's the one that built the program into the juggernaut that attracted said top talent.

kf3339

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3uov9rih said:
kf3339":3uov9rih said:
Maelstrom787":3uov9rih said:
kf3339":3uov9rih said:

Fair enough, but I think the criticism is weak, especially considering that he's the one that built the program into the juggernaut that attracted said top talent.

I gave him credit for finding that top talent at the beginning and for the two SB years with one win (Should have been two). But the talent evaluation since has been poor and the game planning and in-game adjustments have been weak to non-existent. His job as the HC is to figure this out and make his own adjustments to his style to make up the difference. Other top HC's do this all the time. But you don't see that with PC. I never once said he was a bad coach, but that his best years are behind him IMO. Some disagree and that's fine.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I love .net.

John63: RW can do no wrong. Ever.
Maelstrom: PC can do no wrong. Ever.

Others: here are stats, plays, trends, rankings, ratings, videos, evidence etc etc etc that PC and or RW did something wrong.

John63 and Maelstron: ignore, deflect and sidetrack the threads but will never admit they are wrong. LOL

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":whjx1phu said:
I love .net.

Others: here are stats, plays, trends, rankings, ratings, videos, evidence etc etc etc that PC and or RW did something wrong.

John63 and Maelstron: ignore, deflect and sidetrack the threads but will never admit they are wrong. LOL

Pete has done plenty wrong.

A conspiracy about him purposefully disallowing pre-snap motion, which is somehow suddenly the thing that makes offenses good (???), is absolutely pants-on-head drooling duncery and I'll stand by that.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":12bbp5ca said:
JayhawkMike":12bbp5ca said:
I love .net.

Pete has done plenty wrong.

A conspiracy about him purposefully disallowing pre-snap motion, which is somehow suddenly the thing that makes offenses good (???), is absolutely pants-on-head drooling duncery and I'll stand by that.

and yet the facts show for whatever reason his teams did not do a lot of that stuff through his career as an HC.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":znwptzli said:
IndyHawk":znwptzli said:
Despite a strip fumble td and a near pick 6 Russ managed game
pretty well otherwise with Penny rocking and the D fighting hard.
We could and should have been doing this more.
Peteball wins!I'm still stoked off that game! :irishdrinkers:

Game was nice. That being said, we've seen Peteball work before. My issue is what happens when the Seahawk team runs into a team that has a good run defense and slowly takes more and more TOP through the game and a larger and large lead? The games we've seen time and time before (usually against the Rams or Packers), and the post game comments are always the same "well we just couldn't establish the run".

I enjoy a win as much as anyone else, but I am skeptical because I've seen this before. I've seen Pete ball be successful and the same story is given (see we just gotta run!) and then I've seen it fail and once again the same story is given. What I'd like to see is maybe more adaptation when Pete ball is NOT going to work or just stylistically not a good match up against certain teams/coaches/QB combos.

Anyway, Pete was not fired this morning, so Jody has spoken (without speaking). I am curious to see come April/May if RW is still on the team, at this point since Pete is staying.

Side note this part of your post amuses me because it would be a death warrant for just about any team/game.

IndyHawk":znwptzli said:
pretty well
We have seen LRC fail too when teams go into cover 2 (right)?It used to be when Russ could
run his ass off and move all over,you couldn't just stop the run without getting killed with
sandlot runs/passes off script..That was crazy fun and nerve whacking too.
I feel like as long as we have a really good running back(s) if you are so focused on stopping them
this will allow Russ his chances in the air like the Arizona game which he had a good mix of passes
short,med and long..I loved that!
This with running allowed the defense to rest and take some pressure off the offense with solid play.
The term Peteball is old but it has evolved over the years to what we saw against Arizona and I don't
think anyone had any complaints about this win.
I feel good about next season and Russ staying if all are committed to this way of playing.
Oh and btw..Arizona had a pretty good run defense going into that game.

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":mxp45u3j said:
ZagHawk":mxp45u3j said:
pretty well otherwise with Penny rocking and the D fighting hard.
We could and should have been doing this more.
Peteball wins!I'm still stoked off that game! :irishdrinkers:

Game was nice. That being said, we've seen Peteball work before. My issue is what happens when the Seahawk team runs into a team that has a good run defense and slowly takes more and more TOP through the game and a larger and large lead? The games we've seen time and time before (usually against the Rams or Packers), and the post game comments are always the same "well we just couldn't establish the run".

I enjoy a win as much as anyone else, but I am skeptical because I've seen this before. I've seen Pete ball be successful and the same story is given (see we just gotta run!) and then I've seen it fail and once again the same story is given. What I'd like to see is maybe more adaptation when Pete ball is NOT going to work or just stylistically not a good match up against certain teams/coaches/QB combos.

Anyway, Pete was not fired this morning, so Jody has spoken (without speaking). I am curious to see come April/May if RW is still on the team, at this point since Pete is staying.

Side note this part of your post amuses me because it would be a death warrant for just about any team/game.

pretty well
We have seen LRC fail too when teams go into cover 2 (right)?It used to be when Russ could
run his ass off and move all over,you couldn't just stop the run without getting killed with
sandlot runs/passes off script..That was crazy fun and nerve whacking too.
I feel like as long as we have a really good running back(s) if you are so focused on stopping them
this will allow Russ his chances in the air like the Arizona game which he had a good mix of passes
short,med and long..I loved that!
This with running allowed the defense to rest and take some pressure off the offense with solid play.
The term Peteball is old but it has evolved over the years to what we saw against Arizona and I don't
think anyone had any complaints about this win.
I feel good about next season and Russ staying if all are committed to this way of playing.
Oh and btw..Arizona had a pretty good run defense going into that game.

this might be the best explanation. What we saw in the last 2 games of the season was not peteball at least not as it was defined early on in his tenure here as HC. Back then it was line up, eat clock and run and it did not matter if they knew what was coming or not, In fact, earlier this season we did this, and has as been posted our opponent knew what was coming on 80% of the plays. This goes hand in hand with what PC says in his book.

What we saw in the last 2 games was a combination of what PC wants, what Waldron wants, and what Wilson wants. we saw tempo, we saw movement, we saw layers, and we ran. Of course, we also saw a much more healthy QB. I agree if this is what we will see next season we can do a lot of damage.