Most Overrated Seahawks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is different from the "most hated" because you can still think one is overrated but not "hate" them. I'll start with my list -

Aaron Curry
Rick Mirer
Dan McGwire
Kelly Stouffer
Koren Robinson
Kelly Jennings
Shaq Griffin
Bryan Mone
Brian Russell
Justin Britt
Chris Spencer
Brian Bosworth

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think we all know how this this will go...............a few specific players will be brought up about 785 times........

Can't really call McGwire or Stouffer overrated. They were never rated, they sucked from the get.
Couldn't agree more on Shaq Griffin. He was average, nothing more.
I'll add another to the list: Grant Wistrom. He did NOTHING but came with a lot of hype. Just like T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
Wistrom would wave his arms telling the crowd to get loud. We did our jobs Grant, you should have done yours.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think we have different definitions of "overrated" because I don't see people overrating any of those guys. Maybe Britt a little. Hell, I see more guys on there that get underrated.
Agreed. Every one has their reasons for calling players overrated. It comes with the territory.

Here's another one on my list - Lamar King

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think we all know how this this will go...............a few specific players will be brought up about 785 times........

Can't really call McGwire or Stouffer overrated. They were never rated, they sucked from the get.
Couldn't agree more on Shaq Griffin. He was average, nothing more.
I'll add another to the list: Grant Wistrom. He did NOTHING but came with a lot of hype. Just like T.J. Houshmandzadeh.
Wistrom would wave his arms telling the crowd to get loud. We did our jobs Grant, you should have done yours.
McGwire was the 16th pick (1st round) in the 1991 NFL Draft. He's vastly overrated, IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Boz was the biggest name in college football, on the cover of SI with Jim McMahon, wrote a book and was printing posters before he even played a down of football.

No Hawk player in the history of the team came in with more hype, and performed less. He's no only the most overrated Hawk of all time, but he's probably in the top 10 of the entire league.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
McGwire was the 16th pick (1st round) in the 1991 NFL Draft. He's vastly overrated, IMO.
Nah, he was never rated. He didn't do crap. Like others have said, it all depends on what you define as overrated. We could see immediately that he sucked.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Boz was the biggest name in college football, on the cover of SI with Jim McMahon, wrote a book and was printing posters before he even played a down of football.

No Hawk player in the history of the team came in with more hype, and performed less. He's no only the most overrated Hawk of all time, but he's probably in the top 10 of the entire league.
No doubt. Not a Hawks player, but remember the massive hype over Tony Mandarich? He was build up like a future HOF.
Or Jamarcus Russell. Talk about overrated. They type of guys you were very relieved they never played for the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No doubt. Not a Hawks player, but remember the massive hype over Tony Mandarich? He was build up like a future HOF.
Or Jamarcus Russell. Talk about overrated. They type of guys you were very relieved they never played for the Hawks.

Two of the biggest poster children for the steroid era of football.

Rat

Reaction score
I kind of interpret "overrated" as players who I dont think were as good as what the general consensus of them was. Seems like in regards to this thread, OP is referring to players who didnt match their hype as prospects.

On my definition, I'd consider Bruce Irvin very overrated. I think Hawks fans think he was better than he was because he wasnt a complete failure of a first-round pick, like people thought he would be when he was drafted so much earlier than expected.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Percy Harvin. Even without the injuries and locker room issues, he was a very limited player that had to have touches manufactured for him. Explosive, but didn't run the whole route tree and was anything but a complete WR. A gadget player who's presence on the field often tipped the play call. Dangerous with ball in his hands, sure, but wasn't offering you the complete WR game as similarly explosive WRs with comparatively big names.

Russell Wilson. Maybe we were a little too close to it, but I feel that for a while as Seahawks fans we considered him to be amongst the best of the best and in that top tier of QBs. When in actuality he wasn't a 1st Team All-Pro or MVP type of player, and there was always a pretty clear line of demarcation between him and the truly elite - Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes. We pumped his tires because he was the Hawks QB, but taking a step away from it, aside from some elite stretches he was usually more of a sub-elite calibre QB - Pro Bowl, not All Pro.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham comes to mind. There were high hopes for him.
Made the Pro Bowl every season as a Hawks aside from the one that ended in injury, and holds all the significant team records for the position.

I think he was as advertised - weapon in the red zone, crappy blocker.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
But what’s overrated mean?

Like they were pro bowlers for Seattle when they probably shouldn’t have been?

Or Seattle fans love the player when they aren’t as good as fans think they are?

I always thought LJ Collier (when he was here) that he wasn’t as good as Seattle thought he was.

He always looked slow to me playing 5 tech.

He could go against college tackles and maybe not great college tackles but when he goes against offensive lineman in the NFL, he was going to have issues.

I’m not sure if LJ Collier had any great games in the NFL at all.

We can at least say we saw a few good games from CJ Prosise, Rashaad Penny, Jordyn Brooks (although not sure if Seattle will retain him after this year) and the jury is definitely still out on Dee Eskridge.

Recent players: LJ Collier
Vintage: Jerramy Stevens (I gotta believe this guy was very well hated by opposing players as well for talking so much trash and not being as good as he thought he was; he was good at UW though)

bileever

Reaction score
I kind of interpret "overrated" as players who I dont think were as good as what the general consensus of them was. Seems like in regards to this thread, OP is referring to players who didnt match their hype as prospects.

On my definition, I'd consider Bruce Irvin very overrated. I think Hawks fans think he was better than he was because he wasnt a complete failure of a first-round pick, like people thought he would be when he was drafted so much earlier than expected.
Yes, I agree that this is what "over-rated" means. It's different from being a bust. Or someone who was highly rated in college but didn't pan out. It's more a question of someone who got a lot of undeserved credit.

In addition to Russell Wilson, who is the most obvious player who comes to mind, I think that Malcolm Smith has to be up there. No way he deserved to be the MVP of SB48. (Which begs the question, who was the MVP of SB48?)

(Btw, not saying Wilson wasn't good, just that he got a lot more credit than he deserved.)

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

Maybe...but Boz wasn't a bad LB. He was actually pretty good when not injured or 1:1 with Bo.

Curry had a lot of hype and did absolutely nothing.