Macdonald: "Geno Answering the Call"

toffee

Reaction score
No the Seahawks were 17th in the league in points per game last year.

I will await the excuses.

If last year was 17th, I expect at least too 15th for this season. Improved roster, drafted the best defense player, and genius level coaching. We have every reason to expect top 10..

Last edited:

BigMeach

Reaction score
Quick decisions, accurate throws, good pre snap reads, effective changing of the play at the line, winning a playoff game >>>>>>> "leadership" "Hard work"

BTW I have great leadership skills and work hard but you would never want me to be a starting QB in the NFL.

I have always like the quote from Sean Connery's character in The Rock:

Mason:
Are you sure you're ready for this? [walks up staircase]

Goodspeed:
I'll do my best.

Mason:
[stops and motions back to Goodspeed] Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f*** the prom queen!
I f***d the prom queen but never won a playoff game in the NFL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Valid blockers like "the running game was awful" and "heavy pressure was allowed year-long in the passing game despite fairly average time to throw from the QB" aren't excuses.

The fact that the Seahawks approached average with everything sucking except the passing game speaks well to the QB.

BASF

Reaction score

The schtick is that Geno can't win in the playoffs because he failed to beat the 49ers two seasons ago, when we gave up forty-one points. So, Geno sucks because he failed to lead six touchdown drives (that would make forty-two points with the extra points) against the best defense that season. It is a weird flex from the anti-Geno fans, especially considering the Super Bowl champion Chiefs were the only team that scored six touchdowns against them. They have one of the best offensive minds in the history of football as their head coach and someone who will challenge Brady for GOAT in Patrick Mahomes. Only one other team even had more than three touchdowns against them that season.

As far as last season, there was a challenge issued by one of our posters regarding all of the team negatives we had last season and any QB overcoming them to lead his team to the playoffs. I still have yet to see anyone come up with any example of a QB to accomplish the feat. I don't remember the details, but it is out there and that poster is still around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The schtick is that Geno can't win in the playoffs because he failed to beat the 49ers two seasons ago, when we gave up forty-one points. So, Geno sucks because he failed to lead six touchdown drives (that would make forty-two points with the extra points) against the best defense that season. It is a weird flex from the anti-Geno fans, especially considering only the Super Bowl champion Chiefs were the only team that scored six touchdowns against them. They have one of the best offensive minds in the history of football as their head coach and someone who will challenge Brady for GOAT in Patrick Holmes. Only one other team even had more than three touchdowns against them that season.

As far as last season, there was a challenge issued by one of our posters regarding all of the team negatives we had last season and any QB overcoming them to lead his team to the playoffs. I still have yet to see anyone come up with any example of a QB to accomplish the feat. I don't remember the details, but it is out there and that poster is still around.
Correct. I think Geno has earned another shot and he has many, many more believer’s now than when he took over for Russ. That speaks to both the very low expectations at that time and his mostly respectable job the last 2 years.

knownone

Reaction score
So, two-time Seahawks Pro Bowl quarterback Geno Smith is answering the call? Shocker. Who would have thought the guy who has ranked in the top ten in most categories since becoming a starter would impress his new head coach? I mean, he was just Pete's guy, right? RIGHT?

In all seriousness, this isn't overly surprising to most of us.

keasley45

Reaction score
The schtick is that Geno can't win in the playoffs because he failed to beat the 49ers two seasons ago, when we gave up forty-one points. So, Geno sucks because he failed to lead six touchdown drives (that would make forty-two points with the extra points) against the best defense that season. It is a weird flex from the anti-Geno fans, especially considering the Super Bowl champion Chiefs were the only team that scored six touchdowns against them. They have one of the best offensive minds in the history of football as their head coach and someone who will challenge Brady for GOAT in Patrick Mahomes. Only one other team even had more than three touchdowns against them that season.

Yup. I posted it a few months ago. Bottom ranked running game in touches and efficiency, bottom ranked o line in every regard, and Geno was the only qb to rank as high as he did with that level of ineptitude in front and behind him.

There hasnt been an answer to that challenge because there isnt one.

You can not like Geno if you want to. You can point to errant passes or occassional questionable decisions, but when taken in context with the o line he played behind and the running game that was supposed to provide balance and keep defneses off balance (it never did), pounding the drum of 'he cant do x or y' because he hasnt done it yet is just choosing to defend a side. In no universe does a qb who is as incapable as some claim Geno to be, go on to finish ranked roughly 13th in the league last year, all critical metrics considered, with a run game ranked qround 29th and a line ranked around there or worse.

And thats to say nothing for the embarrassing display of coordinating that took place on offense. There was a youtube vid posted a few weeks ago highlighting just how bad Waldron's in game adjustments were. To sum it up, our offensive scheme was a one shot and done kind of deal. We started games well because over the first drive or two, we called plays from a script hatched by the OCs and QBs over the course of the week. After that script expired, so did our offense. Shane was a fine play designer, but an awful tactician. AWFUL.

Want to dispute it? Fine. But start with explaining why we ranked near the top of the league last year in 1st qtr success and then near the bottom in the qtrs that followed.

i think the same video highlighted just how DIFFICULT the plays we did run successfully were for a qb to actually execute.

so in addition to protection being poor and one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, we also were gifted with a play caller who made it all worse.

You can say - he has DK, Tyler, KW, etc, etc, etc all you want, but KW and his friends were MIA, and WR success is predicated on good scheme and good blocking. Neither of which existed.

Worst case, Geno is a bridge. Best case - He can maximize his ability within a system that can provide him time, a reasonable opportunity at success within the design of the pass game, and a run game that actually makes sense behind a line with more talent and better coaching.

To date he's had NONE of the above and finished one year garnering MVP attention and another closer to top 10 in many metrics than he is to 16.

Cant wait for the season to start.

HOF Hater

Reaction score
Nobody knows if Geno can take us to the promised land and seal the deal but I don’t think anybody can doubt his leadership and character and commitment to himself and his team. We are lucky to have him.

Agreed, he's handled every bit of adversity and challenges like a Champ and conducts himself as the leader he is

toffee

Reaction score
Yup. I posted it a few months ago. Bottom ranked running game in touches and efficiency, bottom ranked o line in every regard, and Geno was the only qb to rank as high as he did with that level of ineptitude in front and behind him.

There hasnt been an answer to that challenge because there isnt one.

You can not like Geno if you want to. You can point to errant passes or occassional questionable decisions, but when taken in context with the o line he played behind and the running game that was supposed to provide balance and keep defneses off balance (it never did), pounding the drum of 'he cant do x or y' because he hasnt done it yet is just choosing to defend a side. In no universe does a qb who is as incapable as some claim Geno to be, go on to finish ranked roughly 13th in the league last year, all critical metrics considered, with a run game ranked qround 29th and a line ranked around there or worse.

And thats to say nothing for the embarrassing display of coordinating that took place on offense. There was a youtube vid posted a few weeks ago highlighting just how bad Waldron's in game adjustments were. To sum it up, our offensive scheme was a one shot and done kind of deal. We started games well because over the first drive or two, we called plays from a script hatched by the OCs and QBs over the course of the week. After that script expired, so did our offense. Shane was a fine play designer, but an awful tactician. AWFUL.

Want to dispute it? Fine. But start with explaining why we ranked near the top of the league last year in 1st qtr success and then near the bottom in the qtrs that followed.

i think the same video highlighted just how DIFFICULT the plays we did run successfully were for a qb to actually execute.

so in addition to protection being poor and one of the worst rushing attacks in the league, we also were gifted with a play caller who made it all worse.

You can say - he has DK, Tyler, KW, etc, etc, etc all you want, but KW and his friends were MIA, and WR success is predicated on good scheme and good blocking. Neither of which existed.

Worst case, Geno is a bridge. Best case - He can maximize his ability within a system that can provide him time, a reasonable opportunity at success within the design of the pass game, and a run game that actually makes sense behind a line with more talent and better coaching.

To date he's had NONE of the above and finished one year garnering MVP attention and another closer to top 10 in many metrics than he is to 16.

Cant wait for the season to start.
This!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Interesting thought…if Geno has a good to great year, and our defense and running game come together, we somehow win a Super Bowl within two years.

Does he go down as a more revered and respected QB than Me3 in the grand scheme?

Lord no. When Geno can take a team on his back and produce like Wilson did for so many years, then we can talk.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I don't know what people expect from Macdonald. I don't think I'd be too excited if he stepped up to the podium and started talking like some of the posters here - "Yeah, Geno kinda sucks and I tried to convince John to go after a QB in the first round but that didn't work out. I'll just work on getting the defense up to snuff and maybe next year we'll be able to get our hands on the QUARTERBACK OF THE FUTURE™! Until then, fans are going to just have to accept that we'll never win a playoff game as long as that loser is here".

Does anyone want a coach that feels that way, much less talks like that?!?

Geno has led us to two 9-8 seasons, with a playoff appearance in there. The defense was demonstrably terrible both years. The offense is absolutely loaded with weapons, and Geno is quite capable of taking advantage of them. I don't expect the Seahawks to be worse this year - they improved the talent on defense considerably and I am confident that the coaching on the that side of the ball will result in considerable improvement. A slight improvement on the offensive side of the ball, which I'm hoping the new coaching philosophy from the top down will provide, and we'll be a playoff team this year. Really, all we need to get into the playoffs is a defense improved to average and better playcalling on the offense.

How do you know the playcalling will be better? Do you expect it to be? It might, but it very well may not. This is a whole new staff with new schemes and I see a lot of people believing that it's going to be an improved extension from Pete's days here when in reality, it's going to be completely different. Maybe they do improve, but don't be surprised if they take a step back even.

I'm not predicting anything because I can't until I witness what they are doing. New faces and new players don't always equate to improvements.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
How do you know the playcalling will be better? Do you expect it to be? It might, but it very well may not. This is a whole new staff with new schemes and I see a lot of people believing that it's going to be an improved extension from Pete's days here when in reality, it's going to be completely different. Maybe they do improve, but don't be surprised if they take a step back even.

I'm not predicting anything because I can't until I witness what they are doing. New faces and new players don't always equate to improvements.
Speaking as an unbridled optimist regarding the upcoming season(s), I don't know what you mean by that. I don't see the Seahawks as an extension of Pete's days here, in any way, other than hoping for a Pete-like run of success. I fully expect us to be different in a whole lot of ways. In fact, I'm counting on us being different in a whole lot of ways.

I don't think we're going to take any steps back at all. Growing pains, maybe. Steps back, no.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Umm, probably because the opposing teams adapted to what Seattle was doing as the games progressed.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Speaking as an unbridled optimist regarding the upcoming season(s), I don't know what you mean by that. I don't see the Seahawks as an extension of Pete's days here, in any way, other than hoping for a Pete-like run of success. I fully expect us to be different in a whole lot of ways. In fact, I'm counting on us being different in a whole lot of ways.

I don't think we're going to take any steps back at all. Growing pains, maybe. Steps back, no.

What I meant was that I see people automatically believing the team will be better because they were 9-8 last season when that 9-8 record really doesn't mean squat this season. Everything is new and different now. Could they improve,,,,sure. Could they be worse,,,,,absolutely.