Kaepernick Interviews...

NINEster

Reaction score
I live in DC, and am around Ravens, Redskins, Eagles, Giants, Jets fans at my job....

There is NO hate for Kaepernick whatsoever....ZERO.

Hating is a birthright if you live on the east coast....which I've lived most of my life.

I used to hate Aikman and Favre back in the day , but that was a hate out of respect.....a frustration about what was done on the field. I have a bit of that same hate for Wilson.

But off the field no issues.....never got why people cannot separate the two. Lame.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
Maybe its because I'm so used to such an amazing coach by now but I don't think there's anything wrong with having (and showing even) contempt for the media in sports. They serve almost no purpose and certainly no benefit for any team. Maybe thats your problem with him, as he treats the media the way Harbaugh and Belicheck do: with short indirect "answers" to the media's almost useless questions. Thy seem very disinterested, bored even and try to bore you. It could be because Harbaugh set the bar so high for me, but nothing is wrong at all with the way Kaep interviews.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
look@dafilm":2pty9b6t said:
Maybe its because I'm so used to such an amazing coach by now but I don't think there's anything wrong with having (and showing even) contempt for the media in sports. They serve almost no purpose and certainly no benefit for any team. Maybe thats your problem with him, as he treats the media the way Harbaugh and Belicheck do: with short indirect "answers" to the media's almost useless questions. Thy seem very disinterested, bored even and try to bore you. It could be because Harbaugh set the bar so high for me, but nothing is wrong at all with the way Kaep interviews.

Talk about being a complete homer.

Here's the thing.... Kaepernick is being a hypocrite. He's talking to the media on his terms. So what that means is we get a lovely documentary on his love for shoes. He gets money to appear in a high profile magazine. In both instances he interviewed like an actual human being. He was open, courteous and likeable.

Then the local press, who as far as I'm aware have not done anything to deserve any "contempt", get the spoilt teenager routine. The "I'm going to see how unhelpful I can be for the sake of it, just because I can." Not only is it deeply arrogant and offensive to the people who have turned up to speak to him so that the fans can get an insight into training camp, it's completely unnecessary. And let me remind you, those local guys are not the big hitting national types on big money. They're guys like me and you just trying to earn an honest living.

Now if he wants to hold great contempt for the local humble media, that's fine. But don't do the thing about the shoes. Don't appear in magazines. Harbaugh doesn't do those things. Belichick doesn't talk about his Air Jordan collection. Kaepernick does. You can't have it both ways and expect not to look like a complete tit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":17jvinix said:
look@dafilm":17jvinix said:

Here's the thing.... Kaepernick is being a hypocrite. He's talking to the media on his terms. So what that means is we get a lovely documentary on his love for shoes. He gets money to appear in a high profile magazine. In both instances he interviewed like an actual human being. He was open, courteous and likeable.

Then the local press, who as far as I'm aware have not done anything to deserve any "contempt", get the spoilt teenager routine. The "I'm going to see how unhelpful I can be for the sake of it, just because I can." Not only is it deeply arrogant and offensive to the people who have turned up to speak to him so that the fans can get an insight into training camp, it's completely unnecessary. And let me remind you, those local guys are not the big hitting national types on big money. They're guys like me and you just trying to earn an honest living.

Now if he wants to hold great contempt for the local humble media, that's fine. But don't do the thing about the shoes. Don't appear in magazines. Harbaugh doesn't do those things. Belichick doesn't talk about his Air Jordan collection. Kaepernick does. You can't have it both ways and expect not to look like a complete tit.

Tell that to the national reporter who decided to compare him to a San Quentin inmate because of his tattoos and the local reporter who decided to make a big deal out of Kaep not wanting to speak with his birth mother (he's adopted) and interviewing her...followed by more reporters publically crticising him for not wanting to meet the woman who first gave him up and then accepted money to talk about it on camera.

I don't agree with the previous poster that he has contempt for the media.

I think he's uncomfortable on camera and doesn't trust them because in his very short career he's already been burned.

He's also already learned that anything he says gets skewed to mean something else...just as I've already seen on this board....IE "I don't worry about what the defense is doing...I'm concerned with what we are doing" gets turned into "He doesn't watch film and refuses to learn from his mistakes".

I don't blame him even a little bit if he has contempt even tho I don't really think he does.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The best way to deal with being wronged by one or two is not to act like a complete jackass to the good guys.

That second interview in this thread... how many of those guys were just the local beat writers who probably weren't anywhere near the things you're talking about?

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":rws2o1jx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":rws2o1jx said:
look@dafilm":rws2o1jx said:

Tell that to the national reporter who decided to compare him to a San Quentin inmate because of his tattoos and the local reporter who decided to make a big deal out of Kaep not wanting to speak with his birth mother (he's adopted) and interviewing her...followed by more reporters publically crticising him for not wanting to meet the woman who first gave him up and then accepted money to talk about it on camera.

I think he's uncomfortable on camera and doesn't trust them because in his very short career he's already been burned.

He's also already learned that anything he says gets skewed to mean something else...just as I've already seen on this board....IE "I don't worry about what the defense is doing...I'm concerned with what we are doing" gets turned into "He doesn't watch film and refuses to learn from his mistakes".

I don't blame him even a little bit if he has contempt even tho I don't really think he does.
Plus, Kaep is being groomed by Harnaugh. It would be a mistake to think that Harbaugh only teaches Kaep on the field. He for sure has instructed him on how to handle the media.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":rg8ysqey said:
Marvin49":rg8ysqey said:
theENGLISHseahawk":rg8ysqey said:

Plus, Kaep is being groomed by Harnaugh. It would be a mistake to think that Harbaugh only teaches Kaep on the field. He for sure has instructed him on how to handle the media.

Ya know...I hear that alot, but I don't really buy it. Donte Whitner, Vernon Davis, Anquan Boldin...all those guys are really good interviews. I don't think Harbaugh micromanages like that.

I think it has alot more to do with the environment in which he's interviewed and he has a distrust of the media because he's been burned.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Also, people assume that because Kaep is a QB he has to be the defacto leader of the team. Obviously the Seahawks have a naturally born leader in RW, but the 49ers were filled with leaders on their roster. I mean, the 49ers have PATRICK WILLIS. Willis is the face of this franchise. Not Kaep. RW is the face of the Seahawks. That doesn't mean Kaep is handling things incorrectly. Just means he is a) different from RW and b) not in the same situation as him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3r1k9a51 said:
Also, people assume that because Kaep is a QB he has to be the defacto leader of the team. Obviously the Seahawks have a naturally born leader in RW, but the 49ers were filled with leaders on their roster. I mean, the 49ers have PATRICK WILLIS. Willis is the face of this franchise. Not Kaep. RW is the face of the Seahawks. That doesn't mean Kaep is handling things incorrectly. Just means he is a) different from RW and b) not in the same situation as him.

Damn...I hate to keep arguing with my fellow Niner fan...LOL. :D

I think that was true before, but not anymore. Kaep is the face of this franchise now for better or worse...and he's embraced that. Sure there are ALOT of veterans on that team, but it's Kaeps team now.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":b3ay56im said:
Ya know...I hear that alot, but I don't really buy it. Donte Whitner, Vernon Davis, Anquan Boldin...all those guys are really good interviews. I don't think Harbaugh micromanages like that.

I think it has alot more to do with the environment in which he's interviewed and he has a distrust of the media because he's been burned.
Those guys have established themselves in the league before Harbaugh's arrival. JH undoubtedly drafted Colin. JH was able to mold him from day 1. Do I think Kaep could fill RW's shoes on the Seahawks? No. He doesn't have the same makeup as RW. But I do think Harbaugh does micromanage Kaep to a degree

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":353rh561 said:
It would be a mistake to think that Harbaugh only teaches Kaep on the field. He for sure has instructed him on how to handle the media.

Thank god Harbaugh's coaching him properly then. Russell Wilson's doomed with all this "answering questions" BS.

SoHo9erFan":353rh561 said:

Just sounds like you're trying really hard to justify why Kaepernick acts like he does during interview. So glad we don't have to make up reasons for Wilson.

And yes, Kaepernick is 100% the face of your franchise now.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":1j2ien0q said:
SoHo9erFan":1j2ien0q said:

Damn...I hate to keep arguing with my fellow Niner fan...LOL. :D

I think that was true before, but not anymore. Kaep is the face of this franchise now for better or worse...and he's embraced that. Sure there are ALOT of veterans on that team, but it's Kaeps team now.
I disagree. Kaep gets the media attention because he is new and electric. Patrick Willis is a futue HOF. I think Willis is the model citizen and teammate in that locker room. Again, not saying Kaep isn't. Just think that Kaep knows his place and is content with it.

It might be Kaep's team in a sense that the offense will either thrive or die based on his play. But the 49ers are still known for their D.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":n1losu2h said:
SoHo9erFan":n1losu2h said:
It would be a mistake to think that Harbaugh only teaches Kaep on the field. He for sure has instructed him on how to handle the media.

Thank god Harbaugh's coaching him properly then. Russell Wilson's doomed with all this "answering questions" BS.

SoHo9erFan":n1losu2h said:

Just sounds like you're trying really hard to justify why Kaepernick acts like he does during interview. So glad we don't have to make up reasons for Wilson.

And yes, Kaepernick is 100% the face of your franchise now.
I have no problem with the way Kaep handles the media. Not justifying anything. The way Kaep handles the media affects me 0%

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":1cpyye1u said:
I have no problem with the way Kaep handles the media. Not justifying anything. The way Kaep handles the media affects me 0%

If it affected you 0% you wouldn't be on a Seahawks forum talking about it.

FACT.

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2k63wc4z said:
SoHo9erFan":2k63wc4z said:

FACT.

He's just defending his guy, as you would RW.

I don't understand all the hate you guys have for Kap honestly. We make the obvious RW short jokes but that's about it. I have a lot of respect for him.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":j9f0fdos said:
theENGLISHseahawk":j9f0fdos said:
SoHo9erFan":j9f0fdos said:

FACT.

I don't understand all the hate you guys have for Kap honestly. We make the obvious RW short jokes but that's about it. I have a lot of respect for him.

Thats becuase one guy is an adult and the other is a child.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":1uzgmrs5 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1uzgmrs5 said:
SoHo9erFan":1uzgmrs5 said:

FACT.

Who said anything about hate? I've mentioned many times my admiration for Kaep. I spoke a few times to his agency pre-draft and basically got to understand he was the kind of guy I could really root for going into the league.

But there's no getting away from the fact he is being advised badly on the media front and his interviews are pathetic.

That's what this thread is about.