Jamal Adams and a 2nd round pick for the Malik Willis draft?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I would personally try to figure out a way to trade Jamal (basically give him away for free) and give a 2nd round pick to trade with whoever is going to pick Malik Willis.

I personally think we might suck for the next 5-10 years if we don't figure out a way to find a young dynamic talent who can fit into Pete Carroll ball... We can't just get a pocket passer in Pete Carroll ball!

We need someone who can run, scramble, and confuse the opposing defense in conjunction with a strong running game (Rashaad Penny + Jake Curhan = $$$MONEY).

Watch the tape of Curhan + Penny last season when we looked like we could make the Super Bowl all the sudden... and tell me Malik Willis is not required for our future!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not a fan of Adams but no I wouldn't make that trade and neither does Pete. There is no urgency to draft or trade for the next EJ Manuel or Matt Barkley in this years draft. Next year.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Nothing cause me to curse other posters in my head than those trying to trade away our best players for pocket lint. Adams, Metcalf, Lockett. Geez. I think you are secretly 49er fans.

W

Welshers

We need to give Adams at least another year to see if he can be a difference maker. He has the raw talent. There's still hope for the trade to not be a complete waste

Rat

Reaction score
Malik certainly has some impressive physical traits, but I still like Howell and Corral better. Yeah, Adams makes more money than he should, but it's not like we're tight up against the cap, and it's not like we can get back what we traded. He's still immensely talented, and is a force if we actually figure out how to use him.

Jville

Reaction score
Yea, they don't have a cap problem at safety or anywhere else in the defense. And, this years team is committed to continuing to build their new era defense.

I'm looking for Adams and Diggs to be the best safety tandem in the league. That's beneficial given the ongoing changes to be made up front at linebacker and on the line's edge. The Seahawks cap ranking at safety is 7th highest. Looks appropriate to me.

One further note ....... the front office values this years draft capital much more highly than last years draft capital.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm so confused.

how does John Schneider know which team will select Willis. Is he supposed to call every team before our pick and just ask nicely if they are going to draft him?

And then that team that really wants him as their QB is just going to give up a top 8 pick for Jamal Adams and a 2nd round pick?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just went through 10 years of this, I’m not giving up a player and capital to have this annoyance again.

This Malik Willis’ heat map

Attachments

• EB3EBD5A-81D0-4DB2-B6F6-312089BCC54A.png
    EB3EBD5A-81D0-4DB2-B6F6-312089BCC54A.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 11

AgentDib

Reaction score
We need to give Adams at least another year to see if he can be a difference maker. He has the raw talent. There's still hope for the trade to not be a complete waste
It might not be a complete waste, but in my view it's already been a pretty large failure due to the massive contract we needed to give him. The draft capital earned us a couple of cheap years with a highly talented player, but it was a risky all-in move at the time that didn't pan out.

Now Jamal's remaining cap hits are $9, $18, $24, $25 and even if he plays at a very high level those last three years are not going to pencil out favorably.

keasley45

Reaction score
It might not be a complete waste, but in my view it's already been a pretty large failure due to the massive contract we needed to give him. The draft capital earned us a couple of cheap years with a highly talented player, but it was a risky all-in move at the time that didn't pan out.

Now Jamal's remaining cap hits are $9, $18, $24, $25 and even if he plays at a very high level those last three years are not going to pencil out favorably.
It wasn't their fault that the gamble failed, nor was it his fault that his production dropped last year.
They went all in because by all accounts, they were a team that SHOULD have competed for a title in 2020. They didn't because of the BS swirling at the QB position at the end of the day and the lack of identity and consistency on offense that was a fall out from it.
Last year on D, they intentionally played Adams in a new slot with completely different responsibilities. Responsibilities which included trying to provide backend support for a CB group that didn't find its legs until we jettisoned Flowers and then still required a few weeks of playing together and streaming the correct substitutions to 'click'..
It's crazytalk to look at the dude as a failure and actually consider practically giving him away. He's a top 5 difference maker on defense in the league when he does his thing. He wasn't asked to do that last year. He will be fine.

Jville

Reaction score

I think they purposely made a statement with the Adams contract. And yet, I think it can pencil out.

The $9 to $18 increase is covered by a $208 to $225 increase ($17) of projected 2023 cap.
The $18 to $24 increase is easily covered by a $225 to $256 increase ($31) of projected 2024 cap.

EDIT: There is also the huge $44 mil dead cap write off for 2022 that will be considerably less in 2023.

Last edited:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Even if he plays great, many have already made their minds up about the guy. Shoot, some probably WANT him to play bad so they can be "right" about him.
This. It's toxic and really annoying. Fine if you want to be mad at the front office for the trade/compensation but try not to let it bias your opinion on the player. When healthy, Adams is elite and his versatility and ability to make splash plays are unmatched in the league.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I do like Sam Howell to a degree. But then, I like lamp, so there's that...