Imagine we picked Malik Willis instead of Kenneth Walker III?

massari

Reaction score
Still wished they picked Edge David Ojabo over Walker. Ojabo might've been a top 10 pick without the injury, and RB is probably the easiest position to find talent, and the cheapest to sign.

Can't complain tho. Walker is a beast. Just gotta hope he's more durable than Rawls, Carson and Penny.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Still wished they picked Edge David Ojabo over Walker. Ojabo might've been a top 10 pick without the injury, and RB is probably the easiest position to find talent, and the cheapest to sign.

Can't complain tho. Walker is a beast. Just gotta hope he's more durable than Rawls, Carson and Penny.
Can't agree with any of that. Walker III is a unique back and I was so jazzed when the Hawks took him. It was amazing watching Walker III demolish Michigan. (I take no sides in that war, but Walker III was just special to watch) I was totally bummed when the Hawks passed on Jonathan Taylor a few years back; I think they took Brooks instead; anyone recall? Anyway, a talent like Walker's is NOT "easy to find". Yes, "average" RB talents are indeed easy to find, but not special talents like Walker.

massari

Reaction score
Can't agree with any of that. Walker III is a unique back and I was so jazzed when the Hawks took him. It was amazing watching Walker III demolish Michigan. (I take no sides in that war, but Walker III was just special to watch) I was totally bummed when the Hawks passed on Jonathan Taylor a few years back; I think they took Brooks instead; anyone recall? Anyway, a talent like Walker's is NOT "easy to find". Yes, "average" RB talents are indeed easy to find, but not special talents like Walker.
Kareem Hunt and James Robinson among others could've been had for next to nothing at the deadline.....Damion Pierce taken in the 4th round.

RB is a fairly easy position to fill. Edge rusher not so much.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Kareem Hunt and James Robinson among others could've been had for next to nothing at the deadline.....Damion Pierce taken in the 4th round.

RB is a fairly easy position to fill. Edge rusher not so much.
Walker does more than just “fill the position” though

Which is the point you’re (intentionally) missing

He’s a difference maker, not a JAG

olyfan63

Reaction score
I heard some draft experts who watched him at the combine saying how bad his accuracy, footwork etc was. I was happy we didn't take him. From all I had r had I had talked myself into Desmond Ridder being the only QB in this draft I wanted the hawks to draft if possible
I'm on board the Ridder train too as a developmental QB but just as happy we didn't draft him and got some great additions at other positions that are providing value now and not in 3 years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The only thing Malik Willis is good for is improving Tannehill’s job security. There was no QB in that last draft worth beans.

I never get the pundits that assume all RB’s should be drafted in the 5th round. A star RB can be a difference maker for about 5 seasons. That’s good value in the second round. Certainly better value than getting a player that can’t even become a starter, which is what happens to a lot of players.

Sometimes analytics forgets that this is a team game and team culture and psyche go a long way to success. That’s why guys like Lynch and Chancellor have value far beyond their positional relevance. I don’t think the LOB years even happen without those two players. It’s a rough sport and you need Dawgs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's a legit ROY candidate. They obviously needed a RB. They very likely knew that Carson was going to retire, and we know Penny's injury history.
RB was absolutely a need for this team. This draft class has been unreal, and they are just 9 games in to their NFL career's.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There was no qbotf in that draft. Just later round projects.

At this point in time I agree with that, but I know I’m not an expert and I didn’t really think RW was our QB of the future on draft day, but once I saw him play I quickly changed my mind. Had John/Pete snagged a quarterback I would have had hope that they were the future. They didn’t and they were correct in that choice. Either way, I LOVED the choice of K9 and have been amped for him ever since.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
At this point in time I agree with that, but I know I’m not an expert and I didn’t really think RW was our QB of the future on draft day, but once I saw him play I quickly changed my mind. Had John/Pete snagged a quarterback I would have had hope that they were the future. They didn’t and they were correct in that choice. Either way, I LOVED the choice of K9 and have been amped for him ever since.
I was fine with the pick, on paper. As long as he stays healthy then it’s just one more platinum star gif them this draft. Carson and Rawls and even Penny were all good power rushers but they didn’t close out games the way K9 has been.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was wrong about a lot of things this past off season, but not with this one.

I wanted NO part of any of the QB's that came out, especially Willis..........and I was just fine with the Walker pick because I knew we couldn't trust Penny to stay healthy.

But damn man, I didn't know Willis was this bad. He couldn't hit anything.