Hawks Take NFCW - Riddick

OP
OP
LeveeBreak

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I agreed with him last year and agree with him again. If the defense gels, we are top 3 or 4 in the NFC. If Geno improves AND the dense gels... no limit.
Yep. The hawks have tremendous potential.

Riddick is not your run of the mill pundit. He does extensive research and is one of the more articulate voices on the NFL, backing up his opinions on well grounded facts.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The QB play for the Niners would have to literally collapse for them not to take the West.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seattle has to be able to bring heat on Purdy. Not necessarily sacks but harassment to mess up his timing. I just hope we don't get swept again 😂.

I'm not sure Seattle overtakes SF this season , but I expect them to close the gap. I can't wait.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Yep. The hawks have tremendous potential.

Riddick is not your run of the mill pundit. He does extensive research and is one of the more articulate voices on the NFL, backing up his opinions on well grounded facts.
I agree with regard to Riddick. As a matter of fact, I'm surprised he hasn't landed a GM job somewhere (assuming he wants one).

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
And that still might not be enough
You don't live in a world that has data, facts, and realized events.

You live in a fantasy world you created. A place no one but you wants to ever visit. So begone dude.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You don't live in a world that has data, facts, and realized events.

You live in a fantasy world you created. A place no one but you wants to ever visit. So begone dude.

Lol. I live in a world of reality where it's not shaded by bias and fanboyism. People like you just have a hard time accepting the truth. The 49ers are the favorites to win the West by just about everybody and for good reason, they are the best team in the division. Seattle could win the division (so could the Cardinals or Rams) but its doubtful. I know that hurts your feelings, but its reality.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Lol. I live in a world of reality where it's not shaded by bias and fanboyism. People like you just have a hard time accepting the truth. The 49ers are the favorites to win the West by just about everybody and for good reason, they are the best team in the division. Seattle could win the division (so could the Cardinals or Rams) but its doubtful. I know that hurts your feelings, but its reality.
Your take on this topic represents a lot of the fan base. Why suspect a team that took all three games from us is somehow gonna fade away? I see the 49ers as a litmus test and a lofty goal at that. Those types of teams are the kind of rivals you inspire your team to beat...knowing just winning at half time means your team is closing the gap.

Beating the 49ers will earn the recognition league wide that your team has arrived. These last two drafts coupled with our 2020 class have replenished what had been a serious loss of talent base and we have finally addressed arriving in the pass happy rule adjusted NFL. JSN added to our WR corps has moved us well past the days when Russ and Doug Baldwin spearheaded that effort. Spoon added to our secondary has now provided a similar push from the days of Shaquille Griffin and Tre Flowers manning our corners.

Can we get serious close in 2023 to our old nemesis 49ers? The real test begins at home 17 Nov against the Rams...and through the "gauntlet" of 49ers twice with Cowboys and Eagles thrown in for good measure following that Rams game. We have the youth with untapped potential...can our coaching staff quickly develop it? We'll see

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Just considered a reason for the 49ers to be so focused in beating us last year...We are the team that knocked out Trey Lance...eventually unleashing Purdy as a result. To match the emergence of K9 the 49ers "stole" McCaffrey from Carolina last year. This year they grabbed Javon Hargrave while we went with Dre'Mont Jones...real chess match going on?

bileever

Reaction score
I don't agree that the Seahawks will win the NFC West in 2023, but Louis Riddick has a lot of credibility with me after his 2022 predictions. He was one of the few forecasters who predicted that the Seahawks would make the playoffs last year after trading Wilson. Have to give him credit for that. He also predicted that Walker would have a good year and the rise of Tariq Woolen and Coby Bryant. But even he didn't see Geno Smith coming.

Scout

Reaction score
This is the year that people will discover:
Sean Payton is a product of quarterbacks.
and...
Quarterbacks are a product of Pete Carroll.

Possibly but lets not forget that SP has made many QBs into 3000 yard passers that were castoffs or at the end of their respective careers.

As bad as Wilson has been he is capable of being better than Quincy Wilson. The problem is RW has to put his ego aside and work hard and listen to what SP is teaching.

toffee

Reaction score
I agreed with him last year and agree with him again. If the defense gels, we are top 3 or 4 in the NFC. If Geno improves AND the dense gels... no limit.
Hey Keasley, could you help with an analyse on the collapse of our defense in the second half of our wildcard game vs 9ers? Our defense had two ok games to finish the regular season and played an ok in first half before collapsing.

What happened? I don't know enough football to understand 😞

This is PFF's opinion of our defense:

Seahawks defense 2022

Mick063

Reaction score
Possibly but lets not forget that SP has made many QBs into 3000 yard passers that were castoffs or at the end of their respective careers.

As bad as Wilson has been he is capable of being better than Quincy Wilson. The problem is RW has to put his ego aside and work hard and listen to what SP is teaching.
Many?
OK...Drew Brees and then.........who is next?
Many?

Drew Brees MADE Sean Payton. That is the point I made.

Payton is a product of Brees. Brees is not a product of Payton.
Brees was damn good in San Diego in the absence of Payton. Conversely, Payton has never done much in the absence of Brees.

This is the year it is proven out. That is the point I am making.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
Until we actually see this team take the field, I'm not willing to make any predictions. SF is still the top dog in the division.

The defense has to prove that it isn't going to just get run over. Like it did repeatedly last season. Based on our personnel, I still think the Niners are a terrible matchup for us. Until we can figure out a way to stop McCaffrey, this division will be a challenge.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Hey Keasley, could you help with an analyse on the collapse of our defense in the second half of our wildcard game vs 9ers? Our defense had two ok games to finish the regular season and played an ok in first half before collapsing.

What happened? I don't know enough football to understand 😞

This is PFF's opinion of our defense:

View attachment 59676

I haven't rewatched the game, but i think Pete summed it up fairly succinctly in the post game presser. Not enough talent, and no room for error.

Last year, we were heavily reliant on Geno and the offense to play at a top 5 to 10 level every game. The fact that we finished where we did is honestly a testament to Geno, as much as folks tend to dock him for poor clutch play. He was plenty clutch in the way he'd get us points game in and game out as the defense would surrender leads and the running game did little to relieve stress in pass pro.

Our running game was hot cold... full blast, or trickle. Our pass game was solid, but by years end, we seemed to exhaust the concepts we'd seen success in most of the year and were gradually getting burned more often as the well began to dry ( hence Genos rising interceptable pass %). At the same time, our pass pro was also gradually failing, a result of our interior flaws being exposed and our rookie tackles hitting the rookie wall and doubly, being required to cheat inside to help lineages, which opened up outside speed rushes. - Cheat to the outside, get beat inside. Setup inside, and get beat outside.

on defense, ... the defense. The problems were myriad, but all started when the linchpin around which everything revolved was lost in week 1. Compounding the X factor that Adams was to be, was the fact that I don't think Brooks managed making calls very well. It seemed obvious that the fits between dline and LB were off. It was also obvious that the DBs and Lbs were off. The common denominator - Brooks.

And THAT, was compounded by tye fact that talent wise, we were undermanned. Our talent was at or below bar at LB and Dline. CB play was solid and safety play was good, but both Diggs and Neal were often out of position because of the mixups up front and not being certain the guys in front of them were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

I think Pete and Clint kept to the script and pushing the 3-4 hybrid shift because they knew that the fault was more execution than it was necessarily personnel. I think they knew that if they could get smarter play from the ILB position, that that would get them to average play. They were in a bonus situation for all intents and purposes. The team had exceeded axoectations and was looking forward to building (learning) and gaining experience in the system to hit the ground running next year.the fact that the big move at LB this offseason was bringing Bobby back ( who played in and called adjustments in a similar D with the Rams) lends some credibility to that hypothesis. That, and that their attitude in improving the dline wasn't as drastic as many would have expected.

So all that considered- the team had zero margin for error on offense or defense against a team with few weaknesses like the 9ers. In the first half we executed about as well as we could have and hit some critical plays that showed what the team is capable of. But as the game wore on and the 9ers had a chance to analyze the wrinkles Shane was incorporating, the 9ers gradually removed whatver margin we had to start with. After Genos fumble to start the 2md half, the mental edge was lost, Geno pushed too much, and with the mental pressure of post season play and the fatigue of needing to scratch, tooth and nail for 17 games just to make the dance, the pendulum swung south and naver came back.

The collapse on D was similar. We played well enough through 2 1/4 qtrs to win, but that was with solid execution, help on special teams and emotionally elevated, inspired play.

But like almost every game last year, we began to lose the TOP possession battle. The fumble by Geno and then the subsequent int was too much to come back from for a defense that by that time was too tired, not on the same page, not gifted enough in key spots, and had never been abke to play the style of ball it was built to play in the offseason.

Our running game made a few solid appearances, but then, without the ability to hit the inside, between the tackles consistently... the 9ers took away the outside and then we were like a heavyweight fighter in round 12 who'd punched himself out and could barely lift his gloves. At that point its like hoping you get a KO on a lucky punch.

But reason for optimism. You can see how the Pete and John addressed many of the areas that failed is last year and specifically in thr playoff loss.

Running game - assuming everybody stays healthy, we will be able to attack defenses sideline to sideline and especially between the tackles with the addition of Charbs. His legs and the fortification of the interior addresses two elements that contributed heavily to our loss.

With better pass pro, and the addition of JN, our passing well will be much deeper and require defenses to effectively account for 3 Top flight wrs and a formidable TE group. That's obviously a boon for Geno, but for the running game as well.

On D, I think whatever Bobby might be lacking physically, he will make up for mentally in getting everybody in his group and on the d line where they're supposed to be. If that happens, and Diggs and Love / Adams mesh with fits they can better predict (because they're correct) then many of the unforced errors last year can be reduced.

Our edge game is improved, with Mafe in year 2, Hall and all of the ferocity he brings, Nwosu , Taylor and Jones applying significant pressure at the DE spot

Our CB game is improved and has the potential to be one of the best in the league.

Safeties - the big piece here is that they have a bona-fide starter in Love who will have all offseason to get acclimated. So if Adams can't go again, it's less of a loss. But bigger, is the addition of Bobby to sync things up between the dline and Dbs. Diggs and Bobby > than Diggs and Brooks. So much of what was wrong last year was miscommunication and players not being where they were supposed to be. Assuming Wags and Diggs stay healthy, the 'processor' that the 2 of them combine to create will *I think dramatically improve the overall performance of the side.

LBs - Bobby will be the brains we were missing last year, which will allow Brooks to go back to what he does best - thinking less, reading , reacting and blowing things up.

Overall, the only place we haven't added significant talent / ability is NT - THE spot, according to Pete/Clint and guys like Dave Wyman that you can plug in a less experienced player and have him succeed. The way Dave Wyman described it, its either you go left, or right when the ball is snapped, and much of that decision is dictated by the guy calling the shots at LB - Bobby.

And so when I look at the wildcard loss last year and try to place our odds of winning that game if we had the team then we have today...we were up by 1 in the 3rd with a broken o line, a half functioning running game, A defense with a broken processor, and a lack of game changing talent. I think it's entirely possible that our 23 squad is in the game in the end and that if our running game and DB play is anywhere near as good as it looks to be on paper that it's not at all crazy to think we could have won.

So I don't think it's at all crazy to think the Hawks have significantly closed the gap to the 9ers. Whether they've pushed into the #1 spot will be determined by how well the defense comes together. If the comms issues are addressed and the side plays with a sense of unity... if we can impose our will on the ground and better protect Geno (he was sacked 4th most last year), we will be significantly better.

Its not homerism to think we best a team who even if they start Purdy, will have a 2nd year starter that teams have a year of tape on. His magical honeymoon period is over. In 2022 he was playing with house money. 2023.. folks will be expecting him to deliver. That's a completely different psychological stress. Not saying the kid isn't up for the challenge. Just that it's a pretty significant question mark.

The 9ers were also extremely lucky in my opinion to have both CMC and kittle healthy for as long as they did. That's just not what history has shown. If the injury trend swings back to where it's been for both players, the dynamic of that team changes significantly.

They'll still be solid on D, but they did lose their DC. That can't be discounted.

So from where I sit, the 9ers have dropped a bit, and maybe not insignificantly, depending on injury, Purdys play and how well their D adjusts to the new DC.

At the same time, we could have taken a small step forward, or a big one.

Latest posts