Geno

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I rank Geno as just a hair below Hass, and that's probably being generous. I liked Hass's ability to run the WCO efficiently. He did know how to use his TEs as a safety valve.

Watching Geno kind of reminds me of Hass. Though, Hass had a bit of a noodle arm. I think Geno can sling it down the field better than Hass could.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hass did a lot of not a ton of physical talent really. He also made good decisions and won a lot of games. Geno has an absolute cannon that's for sure.

toffee

Reaction score
According to coach Walsh, poise under fire and footwork were the two reasons why he paid attention and eventually drafted Montana. Let's just say Geno ain't Montana, ok? That said, was Montana's talent and skill set perfect? Some might argue that Montana didn't have strong arms, some might said he wasn't built for NFL.

Although the NFL Combine was not formed until 1982, NFL scouts still evaluated potential draftees through the use of combines in 1979. Candidates were rated in a number of categories on a scale of one to nine, with one being the worst mark and nine being the best mark. The categories they used were contingent on the position that the athlete played.​
Despite his performance on the field, Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State rated an eight, the highest grade among eligible quarterbacks.​
In the 1979 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected Montana at the end of the third round with the 82nd overall pick. Montana was the fourth quarterback taken, behind Thompson, Phil Simms, and Steve Fuller, all selected in the first round.​

Geno might have stronger arm and more athletic, but few could elevate their game with pressure, Joe was unique. That said, Montana might have a miserable time in Al Davis' long ball offense, Walsh's 3/5 step fitted him perfectly.

WarHawks

Reaction score
According to coach Walsh, poise under fire and footwork were the two reasons why he paid attention and eventually drafted Montana. Let's just say Geno ain't Montana, ok? That said, was Montana's talent and skill set perfect? Some might argue that Montana didn't have strong arms, some might said he wasn't built for NFL.

Although the NFL Combine was not formed until 1982, NFL scouts still evaluated potential draftees through the use of combines in 1979. Candidates were rated in a number of categories on a scale of one to nine, with one being the worst mark and nine being the best mark. The categories they used were contingent on the position that the athlete played.​
Despite his performance on the field, Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State rated an eight, the highest grade among eligible quarterbacks.​
In the 1979 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected Montana at the end of the third round with the 82nd overall pick. Montana was the fourth quarterback taken, behind Thompson, Phil Simms, and Steve Fuller, all selected in the first round.​

Geno might have stronger arm and more athletic, but few could elevate their game with pressure, Joe was unique. That said, Montana might have a miserable time in Al Davis' long ball offense, Walsh's 3/5 step fitted him perfectly.
Great post!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I rank Geno as just a hair below Hass, and that's probably being generous. I liked Hass's ability to run the WCO efficiently. He did know how to use his TEs as a safety valve.

Watching Geno kind of reminds me of Hass. Though, Hass had a bit of a noodle arm. I think Geno can sling it down the field better than Hass could.
Hasselbeck in his prime was an extremely formidable QB, hell even filling in for Luck at 40+ years old he looked decent.

Hasselbeck also played his best years in a different era. His numbers would likely be off the charts in this NFL era if he was in his prime.

Hass became a liability when he was older because of his body. After that bulged disk he was never the same QB. His already marginal arm was compromised.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Remember the success of a player and a team is about the journey of overcoming adversity.

LTH
Did I say that?

Holy catfish I'm a profit!

NOT! LMAO!!!!

OH MY...

LTH

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck in his prime was an extremely formidable QB, hell even filling in for Luck at 40+ years old he looked decent.

Hasselbeck also played his best years in a different era. His numbers would likely be off the charts in this NFL era if he was in his prime.

Hass became a liability when he was older because of his body. After that bulged disk he was never the same QB. His already marginal arm was compromised.

Man some people have forgotten all the idiotic decisions Hass made in his time as a Seahawk. He had 3 really good years with one of the best OL ever.

I love Hass but I don’t think he was ever better than Geno and certainly not better than peak Russ.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Honestly, against the browns, I think Geno showed poise a few times as the pocket collapsed. Stepping over players and through his only alley of escape. He has some Brady in him, but in a different way.

Forced throws are his weakness…that can be corrected.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Man some people have forgotten all the idiotic decisions Hass made in his time as a Seahawk. He had 3 really good years with one of the best OL ever.

I love Hass but I don’t think he was ever better than Geno and certainly not better than peak Russ.
I never said anything about Hasselbeck being better than Geno. Furthermore, Matt Hasselbeck's best season came with a fairly weak offensive line (Hutchinson and Tobeck were gone), and lackluster rushing attack. His receiving corps also had some injuries and his TE wasn't very good. His best year came with arguably one of his weakest support staff.