Geno

LTH

Reaction score
One of the reasons why Joe Montana was such a great QB is because he was so cool under pressure. Opposing teams just couldn't rattle the guy no what happened.

What I saw against the Giants, was The Giants got into Geno's head a bit. I think that's Geno's weakness. I think that is his issue to over come. I think he knows it , I think Pete knows it and I'm pretty sure because I know it Kyle Shanahan knows it. I think its actually a team issue for the Hawks.

It's going to be interesting to see how Pete deals with it because although they have injuries on that O line and the Giants D line got some pressure on Geno ... I think they rattled Geno out of the game ... that might be a slight exaggeration but it did affect Geno and I'm a bit concerned.

THOUGHTS ?

LTH

JPatera76

Reaction score
I disagree. This game? A nothing burger. WHAT rattled geno? An injury he clearly played through and was hobbled by visibly.

I think Geno is and will be just fine.

strohmin

Reaction score
One of the reasons why Joe Montana was such a great QB is because he was so cool under pressure. Opposing teams just couldn't rattle the guy no what happened.

What I saw against the Giants, was The Giants got into Geno's head a bit. I think that's Geno's weakness. I think that is his issue to over come. I think he knows it , I think Pete knows it and I'm pretty sure because I know it Kyle Shanahan knows it. I think its actually a team issue for the Hawks.

It's going to be interesting to see how Pete deals with it because although they have injuries on that O line and the Giants D line got some pressure on Geno ... I think they rattled Geno out of the game ... that might be a slight exaggeration but it did affect Geno and I'm a bit concerned.

THOUGHTS ?

LTH
I think what rattled Geno was thinking he was tackled with a dirty hit and probably thought he was injured more than he was. Im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt on this one and hope he learns from it.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
It’s crazy how little playing time Geno has actually had in his career. Got his jaw busted and never saw the field again until last year. I don’t like how often he throws off his back foot. It seems to mostly work though. I think he has done great with a complete 2nd string OL other than Brown. Does he get rattled sometimes….sure, and so does every QB.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I think what rattled Geno was thinking he was tackled with a dirty hit and probably thought he was injured more than he was. Im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt on this one and hope he learns from it.
I'm not saying anything other than every player has strengths and weaknesses. It's the players that can identify and overcome their weaknesses that become great. I don't think this is a new thing I think Pete has Been working with Geno on this issue. I think you are right it was that one play that pissed Geno off and he was not able to let it go. This is concerning to me let's see how he rebounds from it.

Mick063

Reaction score
The Giants' Jones was taken 6th overall. Some fans won't be happy until we get our own Jones. We have to spend a top ten pick on a QB or we just don't like him.

The pissing and moaning about Geno is boorish.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
The Giants' Jones was taken 6th overall. Some fans won't be happy until we get our own Jones. We have to spend a top ten pick on a QB or we just don't like him.

I'm NOT PISSING and moaning about Geno. I'm bring forth an issue that might become a factor when things get real like against the Niners. I believe Carroll will deal with it because that is what he does. I think Geno is going to over come it but I don't think it's going to be over night.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It’s crazy how little playing time Geno has actually had in his career. Got his jaw busted and never saw the field again until last year. I don’t like how often he throws off his back foot. It seems to mostly work though. I think he has done great with a complete 2nd string OL other than Brown. Does he get rattled sometimes….sure, and so does every QB.
He did start one game for the Giants when their idiot coach decided to end Eli’s ironman starting streak.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score

Remember the success of a player and a team is about the journey of overcoming adversity.

LTH

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
It’s really only been an issue one other time I recall, when Pete did his Buddha belly trick on him to calm him down. The flag came early in the 3rd, before we blew it open so at the time it was not a smart flag. They’re going to throw it any time you yell at or gesture at the opposing sideline. This is year 3 of that emphasis, they need to know that and keep it under control, especially a QB. Didn’t end up affecting the game and with his usual cucumber demeanor, I’m not too worried about future outbursts.

His play I think was just him having an off game compounded by an injury scare holding him back. Again, not too concerned about it, but both the behavior and performance issues need to be addressed in house. For the whole team, not just him.

Our unsportsmanlike penalties haven’t really hurt us much this season but selfish, undisciplined flags will eventually be a backbreaker in a game and the deeper into the season we get, the more important every game becomes.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
It’s really only been an issue one other time I recall, when Pete did his Buddha belly trick on him to calm him down. The flag came early in the 3rd, before we blew it open so at the time it was not a smart flag. They’re going to throw it any time you yell at or gesture at the opposing sideline. This is year 3 of that emphasis, they need to know that and keep it under control, especially a QB. Didn’t end up affecting the game and with his usual cucumber demeanor, I’m not too worried about future outbursts.

His play I think was just him having an off game compounded by an injury scare holding him back. Again, not too concerned about it, but both the behavior and performance issues need to be addressed in house. For the whole team, not just him.

Our unsportsmanlike penalties haven’t really hurt us much this season but selfish, undisciplined flags will eventually be a backbreaker in a game and the deeper into the season we get, the more important every game becomes.
The LOB had the same issue...they were just adrenaline junky, alpha males playing to the extreme. Your greatest strength is your greatest weakness. It seems to be a part of Carroll's process finding that fine line balance. I believe he will find that with this team. But when they play the Niners penalties and focus are going to play a major role in the last part of the season and it could be a factor in beating a really good niners team.

LTH

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything other than every player has strengths and weaknesses. It's the players that can identify and overcome their weaknesses that become great. I don't think this is a new thing I think Pete has Been working with Geno on this issue. I think you are right it was that one play that pissed Geno off and he was not able to let it go. This is concerning to me let's see how he rebounds from it.

His calm under pressure has been noted often as a strength even by experts who have been critical of him.

I dont think thats necessarily his issue. I think like somone above mentioned, hes had limited situational experience. But once he's seen a thing, he has a knack for not getting caught again... at least from what I've seen.

Like the play against the Detroit in a unique circumstance where he's trying to scramble around to run down the clock to the two minute warning but not thinking about the yardage lost.

Or Monday night on the play he was hurt on. He coukd have just thrown the ball away instead of going full Seneca Wallace and running out if bounds for a loss. I think the catching the batted ball placed him squarely in the unknown. Not saying it's a good trait, but I don't see it as him being bad under pressure, whether situational or by a pass rush. He's actually very good at navigating thr pocket when it gets tight and getting the ball out. And he's shown the he can take the team down the field in crunch time to win a game, when the entire plan relies on his arm.

I think what happened Monday was that we were losing the protection battle and Shane and Geno, rather than calling the game as they woukd against a formidable opponent, saw blood in the water and went for the big hitter rather than the short methodical game too often. I think they saw a game that was well in hand and thought they could pile on. But with 3 out of 5 starters gone and another playing out if position, they simply ignored giving Geno the easy release plays.

They saw a cushion and got comfortable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Geno's mental toughness and ability is my main concern about him. Its why I dont feel he can ever take the team to the next level. I dont think he can handle a stage that big. I guess i'm in the prove it corner. If he does, awesome.

evergreen

Reaction score
I saw Drew come in and look sharp by running quickly throwing right at the unblocked blitzer and hitting Fant. Geno threw some weird side armed passes at defenders and badly missed Charbonnet on the 4th down.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Geno's mental toughness and ability is my main concern about him. Its why I dont feel he can ever take the team to the next level. I dont think he can handle a stage that big. I guess i'm in the prove it corner. If he does, awesome.
I recognize that at times Geno struggles with the emotional part of the game. Normally he is fine and keasley is right when he says normally Geno over comes any issue that he has, and I believe that to be true in this case.

Geno is a very good QB he has proven that! But my assertion is what does he need to overcome to achieve greatness like Joe Montana or Tom Brady. I think it's the mental part of the game. I think he has all the talent it takes to be great I just think whenbthe game gets to an extreme emotional point his weakness is when the opposing team gets in his head. It doesn't happen very often but it does happen.thats the difference between being great and being very good...let's see how he responds I know for a fact that Carroll is going to address the issue, because I don't think it's a new issue.

LTH

Last edited:

balakoth

Reaction score
His calm under pressure has been noted often as a strength even by experts who have been critical of him.

I dont think thats necessarily his issue. I think like somone above mentioned, hes had limited situational experience. But once he's seen a thing, he has a knack for not getting caught again... at least from what I've seen.

Like the play against the Detroit in a unique circumstance where he's trying to scramble around to run down the clock to the two minute warning but not thinking about the yardage lost.

Or Monday night on the play he was hurt on. He coukd have just thrown the ball away instead of going full Seneca Wallace and running out if bounds for a loss. I think the catching the batted ball placed him squarely in the unknown. Not saying it's a good trait, but I don't see it as him being bad under pressure, whether situational or by a pass rush. He's actually very good at navigating thr pocket when it gets tight and getting the ball out. And he's shown the he can take the team down the field in crunch time to win a game, when the entire plan relies on his arm.

I think what happened Monday was that we were losing the protection battle and Shane and Geno, rather than calling the game as they woukd against a formidable opponent, saw blood in the water and went for the big hitter rather than the short methodical game too often. I think they saw a game that was well in hand and thought they could pile on. But with 3 out of 5 starters gone and another playing out if position, they simply ignored giving Geno the easy release plays.

They saw a cushion and got comfortable.

No he couldn't have. His only option was to run. QB can't throw the ball again after it is batted back to him

Maulbert

Reaction score

We had our own Daniel Jones. His name was Rick Mirer. We were lucky the Bears were stupid.

sutz

Reaction score
No he couldn't have. His only option was to run. QB can't throw the ball again after it is batted back to him
He can choose not to catch it and just bat it to the ground. Then it goes back to the LOS as an incomplete. ;)