Geno wasn’t clutch

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, someone had posted earlier that they are 0 for 7 in game winning drive opportunities this year. So there is that............
Shoot, they were 0 for 2 on Sunday. Then again, they did take the lead, and the defense peed down their legs, yet again.

Optimus25

Reaction score
DK is mediocre? Dear god, I wonder if people even watch football sometimes.
Mediocre receivers juggle footballs during clutch moments. And by the way, he’s a veteran making stupid rookie mistakes constantly. Geno put the ball at the right spot, DK runs three yards past the sticks for no reason making the catch more difficult. And the unsportsmanlike in Germany. That’s what mediocre guys do. Yeah he can fill the stat sheet sometimes.

Based on the few hawks games i HAVEN’T watched over the past decade, I’m actually trying to remember a time the most clutch plays weren’t made by Tyler. Maybe the eagles playoffs game.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Thanks for the morning laugh. Always a great way to start the day.
Let’s just say he was ranked #22 last years nfl top 100 and didn’t even make the list for ‘22. That may unprecedented first of all. Second of all- it’s telling.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In order to be "Clutch" Quarterbacks, you need to have "Clutch" Receivers, yes?...no? I mean somebody, or somebodies need to haul in those passes at "Clutch" times.
I'd say that Lockett's catch rate is "Clutch", yes?...no?
Not so "Clutch" Defenses allow for their opponents to run up the score, does that make the opponent's Quarterbacks "Clutch"? LOLOLOL what a "Clutch load of crap.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think it would be "challenging" to set up a "scientific study" to evaluate "clutchness" and perhaps pointless.
There actually has been a lot of study into that. Metrics of any kind are limited in football due to the nature of it being a team sport, but in baseball and basketball there are quite a few comparisons that look at average player performance vs. player performance in high leverage situations. The ones I've read generally find little evidence of clutch, but perhaps a lot of evidence of "anti-clutch."

Some players consistently display the "clutch gene"; Patrick Mahomes in SB55, Justin Jefferson, and Cooper Kupp come to mind; this year I'm also seeing it in Jets DB Sauce Gardner.
Isn't it possible that each of those players was simply really good? Mahomes played well in that Super Bowl but below his average that season, and they scored just 9 points in their Super Bowl loss the following year. He's also lost plenty of games where he threw an incompletion or interception on the final play of the game (vs. Colts in week three this season). Maybe great players tend to do well in both low and high pressure situations because they are great.

I do think that Geno mentally fell apart the last few minutes of the game. Wouldn't you, if you had Maxx Crosby barreling down on you and had no time to process the field and unleash the throw?
Is that Geno falling apart, or is that a team failure in being in that situation in that first place? One of the consensus good QBs lose a game in the final drive every Sunday and it's naturally dismissed as being a low odds situation. I feel like there may be a bit of double standard with Geno due to his history where when he doesn't pull out a great play it's because he isn't clutch.

If that DK catch is ruled secured and we can kick a FG to win the game does this entire thread go away?

RiverDog

Reaction score
If that DK catch is ruled secured and we can kick a FG to win the game does this entire thread go away?
From our own 47? We still needed at least 15 yards for a decent shot at a FG, a huge assumption considering how our offense performed subsequent to that play.

Having said that, I never heard an explanation why the review on that call took so long. I thought that if they couldn't make their minds up in 60 seconds that they were to go with what was called on the field. If it was that obvious as to pass their "irrefutable" standard, why did it take them that long to come to that decision?

StoneCold

Reaction score
From our own 47? We still needed at least 15 yards for a decent shot at a FG, a huge assumption considering how our offense performed subsequent to that play.

Having said that, I never heard an explanation why the review on that call took so long. I thought that if they couldn't make their minds up in 60 seconds that they were to go with what was called on the field. If it was that obvious as to pass their "irrefutable" standard, why did it take them that long to come to that decision?
Not sure it matters since they got the call right.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not sure it matters since they got the call right.
I'm not complaining about the call going against us. If they looked at it carefully and made the decision that he didn't have control, then fine, I'll live with it. My point is the rule that supposedly requires replay officials to limit their review to 60 seconds was horribly abused. One of the reasons why the first edition of replay review failed was because replay officials were taking too long to make a decision only to announce to a frustrated crowd that "after further review, the play stands as called." One of the things they did to alienate that problem in Replay 201 was to limit reviews to 90 seconds, which has since been reduced to the current 60 seconds.

If they've decided that the rule is irrelevant, then do away with it and tell fans that there's no limit on how long they can take to review a play. Otherwise, hold these replays to 60 seconds...save for figuring out where to spot the ball or how much time should be put back on the clock, neither of which were an issue in this incident.

Chevy

Reaction score
Russ has the most 4th quarter comebacks of any QB in the NFL not named Tom Brady right now. Now, much of that was Russ's doing due to his "unique" playstyle, but in the 4th quarter with the game on the line he's been really good over his career. It's why he stuck around for so long here.
He did have a unique style. He only stuck around for as long as he did was because Pete wouldn't or couldn't trade him to other teams. Seahawks where on Patrick Mahomes and I think the Chargers QB when they were coming out of college. They tried to trade up to replace Russ in at least two different drafts.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Back when I was a young man, I use to drive a lot of junkers, had to change the "Clutch" & Throw-out Bearings on a lot of them.
On a side note: I did once stay at a *Holiday Inn* where an old lady "Clutched" at her string of pearls and gave me a dirty look as I walked by.

mrblitz

Reaction score
Smith is pretty good. It looks like he needs to work on his trajectories. For instance, sometimes it seems like the trajectory of a pass is 'flat' or 'low' when it should be more of a looper. If he can get all of his trajectories in order, he will be world class. As it is, he is making some great throws, and the play designs are oftentimes exciting.

But last Sunday, it looked like the Raiders showed up, and the Seahawks (well at least their defense) did not. Raiders were physically dominating the Seahawks.