Geno wasn’t clutch

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Exactly. He could have been better, even though he wasn't bad.

CLUTCH is taking it to another level when the game is on the line.

Geno doesn't have a good track record of that, yet.

What you see as "taking it to another level when the game is on the line" I see as "not playing your best when you don't perceive the game to be on the line."

If that level is there, why not use it all the time?

You think you're complimenting certain players by saying they're "clutch." The way I see it, you're actually accusing them of "dogging it" until they end up in an unnecessarily close game, and then finally playing their best.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I'm talking about things that were 100 percent in his control that he did not execute on in the waning minutes of the game.

Geno is 0/7 right now in these situations and he has a history of not being great in big situations dating back to college. He did nothing to dispel that notion about himself.

In his rookie season in the NFL, Smith led a league-leading five game-winning drives on a team that won eight games.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Could it be the film on Geno is starting to come in? It seems the adjustments are starting to happen...

In a game in which Walker averaged 1.86 yards per rush, the team still scored 34 points.

On a day when Walker, the OL (especially Lucas, who was being thrown around like a rag doll), and the entire defense played really badly, the Seahawks were still in the game only because Smith played so damn well despite everything.

It seems no defensive adjustments to Smith made any difference at all.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The last 2 minutes only? Um, he should have had 3 PICKS early in the game. All 3 were ridiculous decisions. My god, that guy seems to NEVER get the blame. He's the QB. He needs to get it done, and yes I'm aware the O Line didn't help. Him and the offense had SEVERAL chances. Excuses don't make up for giving games away.
What I DO love about Geno was that he put this on himself 100 percent, great leadership.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Geno Smith puts up good numbers 90 percent of the time, but I don't exactly get the overwhelming impression that he is very good in the clutch at the end of the game when the chips are down and we HAVE to have a score. Some QBs do have that knack or inner strength.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, where is that classic 4th quarter or OT win with the game on the line, tied or behind? I'm not saying he isn't capable, but it's also not too much to ask to want to actually SEE IT. He has been far from the issue this year. But expecting more for your QB is part of how it goes in the NFL. He expects a lot more from himself as well.
I'm been very impressed with his leadership overall. Then again, he has his weaknesses and does make some boneheaded decisions from time to time.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The last 2 minutes only? Um, he should have had 3 PICKS early in the game. All 3 were ridiculous decisions. My god, that guy seems to NEVER get the blame. He's the QB. He needs to get it done, and yes I'm aware the O Line didn't help. Him and the offense had SEVERAL chances. Excuses don't make up for giving games away.
What I DO love about Geno was that he put this on himself 100 percent, great leadership.

He gets the blame literally every time he does anything wrong, and always has.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I was there and crosby wrecked us all game
Until we get a nasty D end we ain't stoppin anybody
That's where we should spend our 1st pick and our 2nd should be a DT then start to fill other holes
The D lost the game , Geno had very little to do with it
K9 didn't play like he had to have the win , homer however did
We need to split time more now with our backs and take some pressure off walker and make him hungrier by putting our other guys in
Truth is we just weren't the better team
It's the same problem we've had vs every good dline we faced all year
That seems to be how to tell if we win or not , by how good the opponents dline is

StoneCold

Reaction score
It's Finger Pointing Monday. Geno is not clutch. Fire the coaches. Dump the rookies. This or that player is a bust. We scored 34 and could have won, but for a play or two or a call.

We got beat in the trenches, second game in a row. Why exactly is beyond my ability. Why didn't we get more help for the Oline from the TE positions? I wondered of Pete was letting them learn on the job. If you always give them help how will they figure it out? Whatever the reason I doubt it requires a major overhaul.

That said, what a frustrating game to watch. Especially on D. Plug a hole, tackle someone, why are the corners playing so soft and why is that SOB wide open in the middle of the field? I know this thread is about Geno, and it's a team game, but it was the D that cost us this game more than Geno. Early in the season the D sucked. Then they seemed to figure some things out and now they suck again. Are other teams watching tape and seeing ways to exploit our D? The rookies played OK, it was the Dline adn the linebackers that got torched. Wyman will say something about line fits and gap responsibility. Hopefully that's it and they can adjust and get better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I too would like to see Geno win a couple games late before handing him 30+M a year, but once again I'm not putting yesterday's loss on him.

3rd worst defensive performance in team history, with almost 600 yards of offense given up.

Use ALL the draft picks on the defensive side of the ball next year. ALL.OF.THEM.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But he was PART of it. Again, he seems to get that "It's not on him" tag every time they lose. He wasn't the reason they lost, but he has to play better. And he flat out said so in post game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But he was PART of it. Again, he seems to get that "It's not on him" tag every time they lose. He wasn't the reason they lost, but he has to play better. And he flat out said so in post game.

This is not a stat line that screams "Geno needs to play better."

If your point is our defense is so horrifically bad again that Geno now has to play out of his mind in order for us to win games? You're right about that, but it's not realistic to expect it.

We now have a large enough sample size of Geno Smith as the starting Seahawk QB to know that if he doesn't have the run game going and the defense at least playing mediocre? He's probably not going to win those games.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Defense was gassed from lack of pass rush. We can’t get off the field on 3rd down.

Much needed investment in the DL thanks to RW on its way.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
This was not on Geno. We scored enough points to potentially win. We could not stop the run and we got beat up on both sides of the line.

acer1240

Reaction score
That's what a great leader says. I'm not sure what more he could have done. Like I said up thread he spoiled us but he can't play perfectly every week. I'm happy. Look at what is happening in Denver. The team is in full on revolt mode. The Seahawks on the other hand seem to rally around Geno. Of course every single player could have played better but I like that he came out and literally took one for the team.

I'd love to get him back at 3 years at 30 million per. If the defense wasn't so damn awful we'd be talking about possible home field advantage.

Geno is having a potentially top 5 mvp season. I'm not understanding the hate.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

He's getting that tag because it clearly wasn't on him, lol. He fought hard for that tag.

This is the same guy that literally broke the entire psyche of this board to the point where there was a 20 page thread of you and others refusing to acknowledge that he was making great throws in the preseason despite videographic evidence. I'm not exactly expecting fairness in evaluating him after that display, but for you to claim that suddenly he's seen as untouchable and no one criticizes him? That's just not grounded in reality.

You regress to the same argument every time Seattle loses a game. Regardless of what happened, "Geno didn't do enough!" You've been hanging on that thread ever since you were calling him "geNO" before the season.