Geno Restructure?

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
He was also playing heavy. I assumed to try to limit injury but it seemed to slow him down. This last season, he played slimmer again and was faster. Not the guy he was in 2020 but closer. No longer a top 5 to top 10 QB but decent. Not sure why Payton's chasing him out of town.
My point is..... The only thing that matters next season is Geno's win/loss record.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
There is nothing stopping the Seahawks from drafting a QB just because they resigned Geno, so this handwringing seems ill placed.

The fact is, having a guy who you know can competently run an NFL offense is valuable to both the brand-new coaching staff and to any rookie QBOTF we hopefully grab in the process.

There is information and dialogue that Geno will be capable of sharing as Grubb implements his vision at the NFL level that a rookie would be absolutely incapable of doing.

...This also buys our rookie QB time to learn how to be an NFL player. Geno will just be learning the playbook. A rookie is learning the entirety of the job.
This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier with the trucker analogy.

Geno has been with several teams in his career. I feel confident in guessing that those teams did not all have the same offensive system. So Geno has had to learn new systems and playbooks before. I'm quite sure that he will have no problem learning a new system. In a real sense, it's like learning another language, and the more experience a person has learning a non-native language, the easier it gets.

And just like I'm guessing that all the teams Geno has been on have not had the same system, I'm guessing that some of them shared characteristics and even some shared vocabulary. There may well be legitimate reasons for preferring a rookie QB, but being better equipped to learn a new system is not one of them (unless the rookie QB happens to be Penix).

Also, I'm unimpressed with arguments regarding Geno's age. I say this as someone who went through Marine Corps boot camp at the age of 35 and a half, and successfully served for about eight years before starting to fall apart. Admittedly, it gets harder to stay in shape as one gets older, but Geno spent years as a backup, and those years don't really count as wear-&-tear the way they would if he had been starting the whole time.

For the record, I don't say any of this as an argument for not getting a rookie QB. I'll be quite happy if we get one, and I still have full confidence in Schneider's and his scouting team's abilities to pick a good QB. I just don't see going with Geno this year in the same negative light that some here do.

keasley45

Reaction score
This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier with the trucker analogy.

Geno has been with several teams in his career. I feel confident in guessing that those teams did not all have the same offensive system. So Geno has had to learn new systems and playbooks before. I'm quite sure that he will have no problem learning a new system. In a real sense, it's like learning another language, and the more experience a person has learning a non-native language, the easier it gets.

And just like I'm guessing that all the teams Geno has been on have not had the same system, I'm guessing that some of them shared characteristics and even some shared vocabulary. There may well be legitimate reasons for preferring a rookie QB, but being better equipped to learn a new system is not one of them (unless the rookie QB happens to be Penix).

Also, I'm unimpressed with arguments regarding Geno's age. I say this as someone who went through Marine Corps boot camp at the age of 35 and a half, and successfully served for about eight years before starting to fall apart. Admittedly, it gets harder to stay in shape as one gets older, but Geno spent years as a backup, and those years don't really count as wear-&-tear the way they would if he had been starting the whole time.

For the record, I don't say any of this as an argument for not getting a rookie QB. I'll be quite happy if we get one, and I still have full confidence in Schneider's and his scouting team's abilities to pick a good QB. I just don't see going with Geno this year in the same negative light that some here do.
Well said.

I agree thst both the 'new system' and 'aging qb' arguments are a bit of a stretch to try to justify sentiment that he's somehow not good enough now or that he's not a viable solution in the next few years.

If there's one thing that is consistently praised about Geno, it's his ability to understand the Xs and Os of the game at a pretty high level. Does he miss reads? Sure. Does he often get caught trying to force throws? Yup. But far more often, and by a wide margin, the dude was making throws that he shouldn't have been able to by shear arm talent and his ability to squeeze passes into extremely tight windows against defenses that knew what was coming.

And I'd argue that there won't be nearly ad much of a learning curve in transitioning to Grubbs offense, because Peetz will be working with Grubb to translate those concepts to the NFL. Peetz - the guy who succeeded Waldron in LA. So, there's a continuity there in terms of terminology that I think Grubb will have more time becoming accustomed to than Geno and Peetz.

Whatever 'adjustment 'needs to be made to get everybody rolling, I think will be offset by the added versatility and variability of the scheme. At worst, it's a wash relative to the effectiveness of what we ran last year.

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score

He only learned one system somewhat good and that was Waldron's simplified system.
Basically, a dumbed-down version of what he really wanted to implement.

xray

Reaction score
They are paying Smith . That means something . We can speculate all day about what that ' something ' means . I'd like to see a fresh-faced promising rookie QB draft pick , but that's just me . Maybe the Hawks should have a fan survey to help them make the right decisions on personnel . ;)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m not sure if the argument is between those that love Geno and those that think he is mediocre. It seems like most of the arguments are Long vs Short term thinking. I personally don’t give a crap what our record is next year SO LONG as they fix the team meaning a rookie QB getting reps and salary cap issues being fixed. The argument that Geno can learn the system or get X number of wins doesn’t mean crap to me. To others it does.

Parallax

Reaction score
I’m not sure if the argument is between those that love Geno and those that think he is mediocre. It seems like most of the arguments are Long vs Short term thinking. I personally don’t give a crap what our record is next year SO LONG as they fix the team meaning a rookie QB getting reps and salary cap issues being fixed. The argument that Geno can learn the system or get X number of wins doesn’t mean crap to me. To others it does.
Well said. Please place me in the long-term camp. Which is why I'd like to move on from Geno.

I really like the guy. He seems a true team player with a great work ethic. Things I admire. In other words, other than the drunk driving, I admire everything I've seen of the man. I'd like to see him have a great opportunity somewhere else.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Well said. Please place me in the long-term camp. Which is why I'd like to move on from Geno.

I really like the guy. He seems a true team player with a great work ethic. Things I admire. In other words, other than the drunk driving, I admire everything I've seen of the man. I'd like to see him have a great opportunity somewhere else.
And the broken jaw situation.

Parallax

Reaction score
And the broken jaw situation.
Yes. I've set that aside under the heading "young and stupid" (as I was once young and stupid, whereas now I'm merely old and stupid). Seemed like a couple of young jocks who got into a pissing contest that got out of hand, so to speak. At that age, given the competitiveness of young men, it's amazing we've all not had a broken jaw.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
His dead cap is $13.5 million for the 2025 season, so spread out over 2025 and 2026 it will likely be $6 million to $7 million each year. Pretty cheap penalty to keep him for a year to see what they have going into 2025. It's a reasonable deal for the team and him.

Parallax

Reaction score
His dead cap is $13.5 million for the 2025 season, so spread out over 2025 and 2026 it will likely be $6 million to $7 million each year. Pretty cheap penalty to keep him for a year to see what they have going into 2025. It's a reasonable deal for the team and him.
Geno? That might be the dead cap if you cut him before the season. Shedding his contract that soon, I don't think it could be spread over two years. But if you don't cut him early, then his guaranteed money kicks in for 2025.

Honestly, I think we're still trying to move him. Rob Staton just put up a youtube video stating his view that they're being non-committal for a reason. He thinks they're holding out for an offer they won't get and that he's therefore likely to return for 2024. As much as they seem to want to move him, we'll see. I'd not be surprised if they took a 4th. I think they made a mistake in not releasing him before the guaranteed money kicked in. There's a tendency to overvalue one's own stuff. When it came to players and their contracts, Pete and John did this a lot. My guess is they thought a trade market would be there and it hasn't materialized. Other teams don't see a decent NFL QB. They see a journeyman who's fair market value is about $10M so they're not going to pay Seattle a second rounder for the privilege of paying him $12.3M.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Geno? That might be the dead cap if you cut him before the season. Shedding his contract that soon, I don't think it could be spread over two years. But if you don't cut him early, then his guaranteed money kicks in for 2025.

Honestly, I think we're still trying to move him. Rob Staton just put up a youtube video stating his view that they're being non-committal for a reason. He thinks they're holding out for an offer they won't get and that he's therefore likely to return for 2024. As much as they seem to want to move him, we'll see. I'd not be surprised if they took a 4th. I think they made a mistake in not releasing him before the guaranteed money kicked in. There's a tendency to overvalue one's own stuff. When it came to players and their contracts, Pete and John did this a lot. My guess is they thought a trade market would be there and it hasn't materialized. Other teams don't see a decent NFL QB. They see a journeyman who's fair market value is about $10M so they're not going to pay Seattle a second rounder for the privilege of paying him $12.3M.
My take is they brought him back to be a bridge this year. They're likely targeting one or two guys in this draft class (Penix/Nix). But they don't want to necessarily start a rookie week one or have to depend on Lock as the starter.

They picked up his guarantee because they fully intend for him to be the starter.

The likelihood of getting fair compensation (3rd/4th) in return for him is fairly low.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
100 percent, I'm fine with geno if we still take a rookie, though I'd have preferred to move on.

If we run geno/lock again, it's time to get upset with Schneider

bigcc

Reaction score
My take is they brought him back to be a bridge this year. They're likely targeting one or two guys in this draft class (Penix/Nix). But they don't want to necessarily start a rookie week one or have to depend on Lock as the starter.

They picked up his guarantee because they fully intend for him to be the starter.

The likelihood of getting fair compensation (3rd/4th) in return for him is fairly low.
The only situation I can see geno being moved, is if another teams qb gets hurt and desperately need a replacement a few weeks into the season.

I honestly think they will play whoever is the qb in camp, literally none of these coaches have any loyalty to geno, and if Penix comes in you can make a very reasonable argument that grubb/huff would have loyalty towards HIM first

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
100 percent, I'm fine with geno if we still take a rookie, though I'd have preferred to move on.

If we run geno/lock again, it's time to get upset with Schneider
I prefer Lock/Rookie with the rookie starting.

bigcc

Reaction score
I prefer Lock/Rookie with the rookie starting.
I would happily wager that isn't happening lol

Geno is nearly a lock to start the season, they wouldn't have turned his roster into a signing bonus if they were going to move him.... And lock is still a UFA

bigcc

Reaction score
Yes. I've set that aside under the heading "young and stupid" (as I was once young and stupid, whereas now I'm merely old and stupid). Seemed like a couple of young jocks who got into a pissing contest that got out of hand, so to speak. At that age, given the competitiveness of young men, it's amazing we've all not had a broken jaw.
Wasn't a pissing contest from my understanding, now how much of this is coming from which camp, I don't know, but you can get the general situation

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Enemkpali believed Smith owed him the money after he originally bought the quarterback a ticket to attend his July 11 football camp in Pflugerville, Texas. Days before the camp, “a person close to Smith” was killed in a motorcycle accident in Miami and Smith could not attend the camp. Enemkpali demanded Smith pay him back the cost of the flight, which Smith did not. He confronted him in the locker room about it Tuesday, and it ended with him punching Smith and breaking his jaw. Schefter adds that Smith intended to pay his then-teammate back but had yet to do so.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I would happily wager that isn't happening lol

Geno is nearly a lock to start the season, they wouldn't have turned his roster into a signing bonus if they were going to move him.... And lock is still a UFA
Geno will be traded. Everyone knows that after this season, Geno's trade value will be zero if he has a bad season.