Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think he did have the passing acumen when you look at his tape for all of his college years. His supporting cast hindered him a ton near the end. I guess we will see how it plays out but I'm guessing the liked Levis but maybe weren't sure he was much better than Geno. It's a gamble but I can understand why they did it. Thankfully Witherspoon has been a flat out stud.

I still liked what I saw from Levis in his second start against a good pass rush. I'd be excited if I was a fan of that team.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do recall you were high on him though
I'm a draft expert! :) I still trust John when it comes to QB's so I still think they made the right move and Witherspoon looks like he has best corner in the league type potential.

Levis got shit on a ton during the draft process so I'm a little biased too and probably rooting for him more than I normally would.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree and noticed that same thing with Geno and Wilson. The truly great QBs usually act like they've never thrown a pick in their lives after they just threw one.

Geno talks and pretends he's even keel, which mostly he does have a good mature temperament on and off the field.

But it's pretty evidence he gets rattled and his confidence wanes after a pick or turnover. Hopefully he can find a better balance, because IMO he'll probably never have a better group of players around him the rest of his career. This is the best skill position group on offense the Hawks have had.

Maybe ever. Geno HAS to do a better job of making the offense more consistently dangerous if this team fancies itself as anything more than a WC level roster.

BASF

Reaction score
I'm only going to say this, if our coach says the receiver stopped his route which led to an interception and you are still blaming Geno for it, you are biased in your opinion.

Edit to say interception worthy throw, since I was mixing up DK stopping his route in a previous game with the JSN "should have been a pick six"

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I'm only going to say this, if our coach says the receiver stopped his route which led to an interception and you are still blaming Geno for it, you are biased in your opinion.
JSN has some maturing to do. That said, Geno's game has some holes in it, and opposing DCs are exploring them, it's time for Geno to step up! Even we the 12s figured out that he is an above average QB not under pressure, and a way below average one under pressure. I think it's for our OC to gameplan more runs and screens etc to help Geno, and for Geno to improve his footwork which might help with throws under pressure. LOL, I never played ball, what do I know?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

I think I heard Brock Huard say of the dozen or so misses by Geno specifically to DK over the past 3-4 games? half of those were Geno misses, and half were DK running sloppy routes or stopping.

Which is probably contributing to future misses. Any QB has to implicitly trust his WR's to be where they're suppose to be 100% of the time, not whenever the WR feels like running crisp routes.

It's why Geno trusts Tyler more than DK, he's ALWAYS where he's suppose to be. DK's a tremendous talent, but he still runs sloppy routes.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Geno has appeared to have issues at times this season.Having said this , I still think he hasn't reached his peak . As fans , we're coming into a stretch where these questions will be answered. Where are you guys at as fans if they go 4-1 or 3-2 over the next 5 weeks?
While I was upset over different things the Seattle Seahawks compiled a 5-2 record and the NFC West lead. That's with Geno Smith not 100% . Yet I watched Richard Shermans podcast after the Cleveland game and #25 is profusely praising Smith !!

What?

I'm going to respectfully throw this out there . Richard MF Sherman probably knows more than anyone on .net and Sherman isn't the only one. Could it be that some of us are a little more critical than others with more insight?

I'm guilty of being critical but I cheer every Sunday for the dudes wearing Seahawks gear.

Nunya

Reaction score
The near pick 6 was definitely JSN stopping his route after Geno threw the ball. The 2 interceptions were extraordinary defensive plays.

BASF

Reaction score
The near pick 6 was definitely JSN stopping his route after Geno threw the ball. The 2 interceptions were extraordinary defensive plays.
The out that JSN stopped and the Browns DB intecepted was the one Carroll addressed in the press conference. So great play yes, but JSN made the mistake.

GemCity

Reaction score
I feel like Geno reached his peak last season. But, I also feel that he can reach & maintain that level of performance.

Last year’s Geno is better than that of 24…25 other starting QBs in the league.

Its looked a little rough thus far. The timing, regardless of whom is at fault, has been sketchy.

But, we all know what he can do.

Let’s support our QB!!

Nunya

Reaction score
The out that JSN stopped and the Browns DB intecepted was the one Carroll addressed in the press conference. So great play yes, but JSN made the mistake.
He didn't intercept it. The DB dropped it. The first INT was a throw to DK. The other INT was when the DL dropped back and tipped the ball to himself.

toffee

Reaction score
I think I heard Brock Huard say of the dozen or so misses by Geno specifically to DK over the past 3-4 games? half of those were Geno misses, and half were DK running sloppy routes or stopping.

Which is probably contributing to future misses. Any QB has to implicitly trust his WR's to be where they're suppose to be 100% of the time, not whenever the WR feels like running crisp routes.

It's why Geno trusts Tyler more than DK, he's ALWAYS where he's suppose to be. DK's a tremendous talent, but he still runs sloppy routes.
At some point, he might develop a trust with Bobo too, I guess Bobo couldn't do a lot of route SK could, but for whatever routes Bobo could do, he can do it at a pretty high level?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno Smith is a weird topic around these parts. Either he can do no wrong, or with every small misstep he’s the same guy from the Jets.

Geno Smith is neither, he’s a Ryan Tannehill figure. Tannehill is not a bad QB, not by any means but he’s not someone that elevates the team. He’s a QB that needs a very specific set of requirements to be successful. This is true for every QB, but especially for QBs like Geno, Tannehill, etc.

In Geno’s case, he tends to press the issue. If he makes a mistake it compounds. He’s easily flustered and knocked off his game. He also tends to fixate on one receiver. If his presnap reads are off he doesn’t always progress through his reads when defenses are able to get the better of him.

Is he our long term guy? No. Is he someone Carroll thinks he can win with? Yes. I think this is evidenced by the trade that Carroll just pulled off. We’re going for it this season.

In many respects we have many of the horses, but much still rides on Geno. This is a good roster, probably the best one we’ve had since 2015.

Going forward we need change the focus of the offense in order to maximize Geno. A 2005 Seahawk style WCO would actually be the perfect situation for Geno. Heavy rushing attack to clear out the middle of the field and set up the passing, short methodical passing game, deep shots to keep the defense honest.

Geno should not be the guy going forward, he should be the garnish on the side that lets other flavors shine through.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Geno Smith is a weird topic around these parts. Either he can do no wrong, or with every small misstep he’s the same guy from the Jets.

Geno Smith is neither, he’s a Ryan Tannehill figure. Tannehill is not a bad QB, not by any means but he’s not someone that elevates the team. He’s a QB that needs a very specific set of requirements to be successful. This is true for every QB, but especially for QBs like Geno, Tannehill, etc.

In Geno’s case, he tends to press the issue. If he makes a mistake it compounds. He’s easily flustered and knocked off his game. He also tends to fixate on one receiver. If his presnap reads are off he doesn’t always progress through his reads when defenses are able to get the better of him.

Is he our long term guy? No. Is he someone Carroll thinks he can win with? Yes. I think this is evidenced by the trade that Carroll just pulled off. We’re going for it this season.

In many respects we have many of the horses, but much still rides on Geno. This is a good roster, probably the best one we’ve had since 2015.

Going forward we need change the focus of the offense in order to maximize Geno. A 2005 Seahawk style WCO would actually be the perfect situation for Geno. Heavy rushing attack to clear out the middle of the field and set up the passing, short methodical passing game, deep shots to keep the defense honest.

Geno should not be the guy going forward, he should be the garnish on the side that lets other flavors shine through.

I agree.

But there is a problem in having this approach. He is the highest paid player on the team. Geno's cap hits will range from $31M-$41M going forward depending on the incentives he hits. They can find game managers for a much lower cost.

Baker Mayfield has a total cost of $4M.

2nd Rd QB's and beyond, are dirt cheap.

Even 1st rd QB's are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Keeping Geno Smith as a $30M+ Game Manager makes no sense.

Especially when you look at Seattle's Salary Cap situation in 2024. They are for all intents and purposes capped out already for next year. They are going to have to cut/trade some guys, just to retain their own coveted Free Agents, let alone shop for upgrades.

Geno offers the biggest savings if cut/traded. And you can keep the team largely intact, shop for a lower cost bridge QB, and draft a QB that you like.

knownone

Reaction score
Geno's been a significantly better QB than Tannehill and Mayfield over the past two seasons. And if Mayfield maintains his current level of play, he'll get a contract just like Geno's.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Guess I should have waited until the Titan's game was over. No td's? That Levis guy is a bum! Lol.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I agree.

But there is a problem in having this approach. He is the highest paid player on the team. Geno's cap hits will range from $31M-$41M going forward depending on the incentives he hits. They can find game managers for a much lower cost.

Especially when you look at Seattle's Salary Cap situation in 2024. They are for all intents and purposes capped out already for next year. They are going to have to cut/trade some guys, just to retain their own coveted Free Agents, let alone shop for upgrades.

Geno offers the biggest savings if cut/traded. And you can keep the team largely intact, shop for a lower cost bridge QB, and draft a QB that you like.
What I’m saying is he’s our QB for this season. Nothing the Seahawks can do about that.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Geno has appeared to have issues at times this season.Having said this , I still think he hasn't reached his peak . As fans , we're coming into a stretch where these questions will be answered. Where are you guys at as fans if they go 4-1 or 3-2 over the next 5 weeks?
While I was upset over different things the Seattle Seahawks compiled a 5-2 record and the NFC West lead. That's with Geno Smith not 100% . Yet I watched Richard Shermans podcast after the Cleveland game and #25 is profusely praising Smith !!

What?

I'm going to respectfully throw this out there . Richard MF Sherman probably knows more than anyone on .net and Sherman isn't the only one. Could it be that some of us are a little more critical than others with more insight?

I'm guilty of being critical but I cheer every Sunday for the dudes wearing Seahawks gear.

If the Seahawks are 9-3 or 8-4 after the insane schedule coming up, I'm all in on SB or bust.

keasley45

Reaction score
I swear. Reading this thread, youd think we have an incompetent idiot playing qb. Cutting Geno or letting him walk based on his play this year? Comparing him to Baker Field and insinuating wed be smarter to put ourselves in a situatiin like that otlne with a guy like him? Thats about as shortsighted as the takes that said Baker would have been our salvation when we would have had to trade for him...

Actually, it's worse, given one would think people might learn from the past.

keasley45

Reaction score
I agree.

Bro, if he's hitting incentives that pay him 30 to 40 mil, then he's more than a game manager and worth it.

You're fooling yourself if you think a 'game manager' can make some of the throws he's made, or get the offense in position play in and play out to succeed.

But at the end of the day, the fact that there aren't 50 page threads sincerely interested in getting at the root of what's impacting our passing game ( nothing on routes, scheme, young wrs making mistakes, compromised pass pro, etc. Etc. Etc) and instead, as soon as there's a hint of failure, threads, page, after page, after page about how our qb isn't our long term answer, says all you need to know about the thread.

If Geno at this point had 3 fewer INTs, didn't have the 'missed pick 6' and 2 more TDs, this thread wouldn't exist. And truth, if you take away the shitty plays by his wr's, that would likely be the reality.

Comps to Baker Mayfield? Seriously?

No surprise I guess since it's a similar group of folks bringing him up now that lobbied for us to actually trade for him 2 years ago.

I said it when we finally cut bate with Wilson, that he'd never amount to anything in Denver or anywhere.

I said Geno could be a solid starter for us and what we need.

And i'm saying then and will again, that Mayfield is a modern day Chad Pennington, just less mature. A guy who might have amounted to something had he not been injured, but ultimately doesn't have the tools or build to be truly successful in the league. He'll flash for a while longer but in 5 years time, will be that 'is he still playing? ' guy that your friends wonder about.