Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

knownone

Reaction score
However, those thinking he's a generational talent, the QB of the future, "our guy" moving forward, are hopelessly drowning themselves in the cool-aid.
Here's the thing: there isn't a single Geno supporter who thinks he's a generational talent. Some think he's the guy moving forward, and he probably is in the near term (1-3 years).

Geno grades out as a top-15 QB in almost every major category. And many of us are simply challenging the claim that he is terrible. For example, the OP stated that Geno's a backup-level QB that should be cut. Perhaps Geno's detractors are hopelessly drowning themselves in the haterade.

Nunya

Reaction score
If you want Jimmy G that's fine. I want Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes is not gonna just win games, he's gonna set the tone and is a legitimate game changer. A great QB elevates others around them. Not a lot of NFL fans out there tell themselves, "You know who I want? Ryan Tannehill." Yeah, no, they want Mahomes, or Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, or Jalen Hurts.

A QB of the future is gonna be someone who is on your roster for 10+ years, where is Geno isn't going to be that. in 10 years he'll be 45. You know what QB kept playing till they were 45? Tom Brady. Geno ain't Tom Brady.
Well, of course everybody wants a Mahomes.....on a Jimmy G paycheck. Only problem is that there are not 32 Mahomes playing every season. They are hard to come by and normally take a 1-10 draft pick. We had our QBotF, Wilson....until he wasn't. No, I agree that Geno does not have much gas left in the tank and we needed to start looking towards the future, but I don't see JS/PC stockpiling picks to go All-In on a just one position.....nor should they.

sutz

Reaction score
One thing that has been mentioned a couple of times in this mega-thread, but more or less in passing but that I think is germane to the back and forth. After a few years of super offenses and "elite" QBs tearing up the game the pendulum is swinging back a bit. Defenses are on the upswing now, across the league. Even top tier QBs are struggling to pad their stats like in prior years. Nice to see us getting on that bandwagon again.

Some of us old timers remember the days when even the best QBs had completion percentages of 60% or lower and TD/INT rations closer to 3-2 than 4-1. Probably not going that far back, but as has been said, QB performance has been down across the league this year.

Just sayin'

renofox

Reaction score
...Geno has an off game, excuses roll in. If someone doesn't act like he walks on water, they're a "hater"
If 5/7 or 6/7 are not good, is that really an "off game"?

I think, in some cases, you can actually call the good games the player's "off games". Especially during a period when they are few and far between.

renofox

Reaction score
One thing that has been mentioned a couple of times in this mega-thread, but more or less in passing but that I think is germane to the back and forth. After a few years of super offenses and "elite" QBs tearing up the game the pendulum is swinging back a bit. Defenses are on the upswing now, across the league. Even top tier QBs are struggling to pad their stats like in prior years. Nice to see us getting on that bandwagon again.

Some of us old timers remember the days when even the best QBs had completion percentages of 60% or lower and TD/INT rations closer to 3-2 than 4-1. Probably not going that far back, but as has been said, QB performance has been down across the league this year.

Just sayin'
When I started watching football, 55% completion and 1/1 TD/INT ratio meant you had a really good QB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When I started watching football, 55% completion and 1/1 TD/INT ratio meant you had a really good QB.
Yup. However, that was before the rules came in to favor the offense. They didn't have much roughing the passer type of penalties back then either. Or defenseless player. Heck Jack Tatum crippled a player (Darryl Stingley) in a NFL game.

Remembering Daryl Stingley

" Stingley was running a slant as Grogan dropped back to fire the ball over the middle. Tatum lowered his shoulder and laid a forearm and helmet to Stingley’s face mask as the receiver lunged for a pass that would sail over his head, out of reach.
Stingley dropped to the ground, unconscious, at the Raiders’ 10-yard line. His roommate, Pro Bowl tight end Russ Francis was the first Patriot to reach Stingley’s motionless body, and it was clear to anyone watching that Francis knew right away that something was terribly wrong,
Training staff for both teams rushed onto the field to assess the situation and quickly came to the same conclusion.
The stretcher was brought out, and Stingley was carefully strapped onto it, his head secured in a stabilizing brace as he was rolled off the field.
There was an ambulance, there was tension, there was chaos.
There was no flag, however, no penalty assessed. The Hit was entirely legal at the time. Defensive backs were free to initiate this kind of contact with a receiver anywhere on the field, whether or not he had the ball."

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
Only 35% of QBs drafted in the first round even make it in the NFL. Even fewer are an anything that resembles a franchise QB. Hell look at all the QBs drafted in the top five that failed miserably.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Geno Smith is the highest paid player on the team, he needs to be in the ballpark of that to justify keeping him after this year and his bloating cap number.

Side Note:
Watching Levis tonight has me wondering why the Seahawks didn't like him?

Going into the draft I surmised that they liked Richardson and Levis, but didn't pull the trigger on Levis despite him falling in the draft.

Levis would complete this team.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno Smith is the highest paid player on the team, he needs to be in the ballpark of that to justify keeping him after this year and his bloating cap number.

Side Note:

Going into the draft I surmised that they liked Richardson and Levis, but didn't pull the trigger on Levis despite him falling in the draft.

I'm watching him also and I'm thinking the same thing. Especially since they wouldn't have had to waste their top two picks on him. He plays pretty much like Geno, big arm, a bit of mobility, etc, but without the int's, the age, and the price tag. Head scratcher.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Side Note:

I loved Levis during the draft process and he seems to be exactly what they look for. Would be curious too why they didn’t take him.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'm watching him also and I'm thinking the same thing. Especially since they wouldn't have had to waste their top two picks on him. He plays pretty much like Geno, big arm, a bit of mobility, etc, but without the int's, the age, and the price tag. Head scratcher.

At this point with 4 minutes left, Levis is at 193yds, not INTs, but no TDs either. Scores is 20-16, Steelers. We'll be playing Pitt. later in the season so we'll have a chance see how Geno fares against the same (or similar based on who's playing/injuries) defense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score

Side Note:

🗑️

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I loved Levis during the draft process and he seems to be exactly what they look for. Would be curious too why they didn’t take him.
Doesn't have the passing acumen they look for, and wasn't a good enough improvisor to make up for that. Russ and Geno were both putting up absolutely goofy numbers in college. Geno in particular led one of the best aerial assaults in recent memory at WVU. The other quarterbacks they've loved, like Mahomes and Allen who they were independently linked to in their respective drafts, were either incredibly productive or incredible raw talents (or both) as passers.

Levis, while certainly possessing some raw talent, wasn't at the same tier of pure acumen as any of those guys. He had a lackluster college career and it's reasonable that he fell to where he did given his overall production and 2022 tape.

I suspect they thought he was fine, and will keep him in mind as a possible reclamation project/backup down the line if he flames out in Tennessee, but not worth drafting with a premium selection just to sit behind Geno for a few years.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Levis threw a pick right into triple coverage.

balakoth

Reaction score
48 pages of this... ROFL

PM looked like ass against a Broncos C Team... is KC spouting the damn dumb crap? Probably not

In fact the hate over this last week is INSANE... 2 of those throws were NOT bad decisions,... one one was DK being yet again a pussy and not pressing forward; the other was a great damn cut play. by the CB..

IM pretty sure half of you plus the creator of this thread just listens to the radio or watches the NFL 12 minute highlight tape...

Full on... pure... 100 percent unadulterated dumb