Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Case Keenum was the 2nd best QBR in 2017. 2018 Turdbsky was ranked 3rd. In 2015 Cam Newton the MVP wasn't even in the top 10 in QBR.

Look, we get that you still have a thing for Wilson, and that you feel that somehow, defending him from those of us who can see him for what he is - an overrated and thoroughly overpaid quarterback - will somehow transform him into the great QB you fantasize he is and will be.

You wanna discredit QBR by finding a few of its edge cases because QBR, by taking into account sacks, fumbles, and game situation, shows that Wilson is just outside the bottom ten starting QBs in the league even in what you're trying to sell as this big comeback season? Fine. But passer rating, the stat you love to cherry-pick because it doesn't penalize Wilson for his limitations and just gives him credit for the empty stats he can rack up, has its unfortunate edge cases and that-can't-be-right ranking anomalies too.

Garoppolo was the third-best QB in the league by passer rating last season. Andy Dalton was tenth. Justin Fields was 25th. And who was that in 27th, behind Fields and Mac Jones? Wow, even by your favorite stat to cherry-pick, your guy smoked some serious dong last season.

You cite Keenum's 2017 as a discrediting example for QBR. So what does his seventh-place finish in passer rating mean for that stat? By the way, according to passer rating, which you use to try to make Wilson out to be anything other than the national laughingstock he is, Alex Smith was the best QB in the league in 2017.

By the way, Keenum actually was pretty good in 2017 by a lot of different measures. It doesn't really discredit any of them. My point here is that you want to use that-just-doesn't-look-right ranking oddities by QBR to discredit that stat because its low ranking for Wilson this season gives you a sad, but you ignore the equally odd relative rankings by passer rating, because passer rating is the one stat you can find that allows you to argue that Wilson has actually been good this season.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on man, EVERY thread does. Been that way since March of 2022. Old and boring, but at the same time, some hilarious reading. Who doesn't enjoy a bunch of 12 year olds arguing over a guy who hasn't been here for 19 months? He's not our problem, and we fleeced them. More than good enough.

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is not fantasy football. It's real team football.

Seattle still averages more PPG than Denver this season:

View attachment 61532

Team points are what matters at the end of the game, whether it's the RB running for a TD, or a QB passing for a TD.

The PPG would be even higher if not for redzone woes. Seattle is still number one in getting to the redzone. They just don't convert...

View attachment 61533
Seattle is also loaded in their offensive personnel. We have one of the best WR rooms, one of the best RB rooms and I would argue our TE room while not having a star is very good as they all bring something a little different. Our line when healthy is also a plus unit and Geno is good enough to make it all work most of the time. Good point about the red zone struggles, if they can get that figured out (and I do think a lot of that is on Geno but not all of it) The offense could be near the top of the league. I hope they get it sorted.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seattle is also loaded in their offensive personnel. We have one of the best WR rooms, one of the best RB rooms and I would argue our TE room while not having a star is very good as they all bring something a little different. Our line when healthy is also a plus unit and Geno is good enough to make it all work most of the time. Good point about the red zone struggles, if they can get that figured out (and I do think a lot of that is on Geno but not all of it) The offense could be near the top of the league. I hope they get it sorted.
The team is ready to compete now, for sure.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Come on man, EVERY thread does. Been that way since March of 2022. Old and boring, but at the same time, some hilarious reading. Who doesn't enjoy a bunch of 12 year olds arguing over a guy who hasn't been here for 19 months? He's not our problem, and we fleeced them. More than good enough.
LOLOL Because Geno is Wilson's replacement, the 'Wilsonettes' are going to keep Russ in the 'Comparable's Discussion' (Dead Horse Revival) LOLOL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Says the guy who gets butt hurt anytime someone says a single negative thing about the almighty Geno Smith. Maybe there's a cream for that?
Wilsonettes? Here you are sounding like a 5-year-old again. Rinse and repeat. Geno plays like Dog Sh** and the excuses come out, every time. Tired and boring.
Come on man. You do the same exact thing, 24/7 dwelling on the past, making comparisons, and that's fine. If geNO plays like crap, he should be called out for it. The last guy played like crap enough to get shipped out. Yet here you are STILL whining and moaning about a guy who doesn't even play on the team and wanted out. It's November 1st, 2023, GTF over it at some point.

Next

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Instead I propose: Get a cheaper bridge + draft a QB, while keeping the defense intact.

You're stating things you personally want to happen, I'm stating things that probably will happen based on our front office, coach and locker room.

Geno is a beloved locker room team inspirational leader. You don't just move on from him because he's not playing elite level football and take a step or two back.

Especially when your defense and run game is ready to compete for deep playoff runs.

That's a recipe for a locker room implosion.

And ain't no way in hell we're paying Diggs and Adams almost 50M of cap next year. It'll be a 2022 Wagner situation, take steep paycuts on team friendly one year deals with incentives or you're getting released.

chrispy

Reaction score
Trade deadline passed and not a single GM traded for RCW and his contract. That tells me the 31 most qualified people on the planet don't feel like he's playing better than what they have (including the Cards who have no one). Garopolo reported he was available. No one wanted him.

This entire argument will determine itself in February. RCW will be available and cheap. Geno will be making more money than he ever has. If JS (who we've all agreed in the previous pages is stellar) brings in Russ over Geno, Russ is obviously better. If Geno sticks around, obviously JS's choice. If someone else, then neither are worth the trouble.

In the meantime:
I think the upcoming Ravens game will end up predicting much of the rest of the season. The OL should be pretty functional (although still not over the injury hump until Lucas is back). DK, hopefully, feels better to the point he can finish his routes. Ravens D is high-end but not unbeatable. Geno will be under pressure, but should have some chances to make plays. Outside Geno, Run D (including containing the QB) may be the difference (as much of the remaining season). Road game on the ECoast is tough environment. If Seahawks can be in this game for 60 minutes, the season will continue to get better. If not, could be we're more of a "pretender."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't think one game is going to determine their season and/or just automatically show who they are etc. They may just lose a tough battle to a red hot team.
Not trying to argue, but losing to the Ravens doesn't mean they are a pretender.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Look, we get that you still have a thing for Wilson, and that you feel that somehow, defending him from those of us who can see him for what he is - an overrated and thoroughly overpaid quarterback - will somehow transform him into the great QB you fantasize he is and will be.

You wanna discredit QBR by finding a few of its edge cases because QBR, by taking into account sacks, fumbles, and game situation, shows that Wilson is just outside the bottom ten starting QBs in the league even in what you're trying to sell as this big comeback season? Fine. But passer rating, the stat you love to cherry-pick because it doesn't penalize Wilson for his limitations and just gives him credit for the empty stats he can rack up, has its unfortunate edge cases and that-can't-be-right ranking anomalies too.

Garoppolo was the third-best QB in the league by passer rating last season. Andy Dalton was tenth. Justin Fields was 25th. And who was that in 27th, behind Fields and Mac Jones? Wow, even by your favorite stat to cherry-pick, your guy smoked some serious dong last season.

You cite Keenum's 2017 as a discrediting example for QBR. So what does his seventh-place finish in passer rating mean for that stat? By the way, according to passer rating, which you use to try to make Wilson out to be anything other than the national laughingstock he is, Alex Smith was the best QB in the league in 2017.

By the way, Keenum actually was pretty good in 2017 by a lot of different measures. It doesn't really discredit any of them. My point here is that you want to use that-just-doesn't-look-right ranking oddities by QBR to discredit that stat because its low ranking for Wilson this season gives you a sad, but you ignore the equally odd relative rankings by passer rating, because passer rating is the one stat you can find that allows you to argue that Wilson has actually been good this season.
This kind of response is goofy. Quit with the "you disagree so you're just a groupie or you have a thing for Wilson" etc. Its ok to disagree and see things differently. Some of your comments make you just as guilty as you're claiming everyone else is who disagrees.

We're not curing cancer here and its ok to disagree without getting defensive or insulting people so lets keep this on track.

strohmin

Reaction score
[
How has this turned into a Wilson thread? Who cares what he does? Go Hawks. Let's Fly.

Someone brought up Wilson being missed because we replaced him with Geno who isnt the guy. Naturally, people responded to that on a discussion forum.

strohmin

Reaction score
This kind of response is goofy. Quit with the "you disagree so you're just a groupie or you have a thing for Wilson" etc. Its ok to disagree and see things differently. Some of your comments make you just as guilty as you're claiming everyone else is who disagrees.

We're not curing cancer here and its ok to disagree without getting defensive or insulting people so lets keep this on track.

Im all for this but it should be the same for people who call "Wilson haters" scorned exes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Im all for this but it should be the same for people who call "Wilson haters" scorned exes.
Fair enough, we all need to be a little better about it I agree. I don't mind a little ribbing but just don't want us to sink into an insult fest. Didn't mean to single you out so apologies.

Nunya

Reaction score
I have come to the conclusion that many people here either have short memories or too high of expectations.....or maybe a combination of both.

Is Geno an elite QB? No...and I don't think very many people are claiming he is. Is he a decent QB? Yes...he is normally accurate, has good mechanics, and mostly makes good decision. Does he make a risky throw at times? Sure he does. What QB doesn't? Every QB makes throws counting on their receiver to make the play. Some of the best QBs in history have a significant number of interceptions in relationship to TDs thrown.

Arguably, Wilson was the best QB the Seahawks ever fielded. His issue was not his talent and abilities, it was team dynamics and cap space. However, Geno comes in at a close second. Statistically, during his time as a Seahawk, he is better than Zorn, Krieg, Mirer, Kitna, Hasselbeck, and even Moon during his time in a Seahawk uniform.

Can he take us to the SB? Absolutely. While an elite QB increases the odds, history has shown that a team does not need an elite QB to go to and win the SB. I see these screams of "draft a QB"...well, there is no guarantee that any drafted QB would be any better than what we already have. I also doubt if JS/PC would ever draft a QB that some consider elite coming out of college. When PC first came to Seattle he had mentioned that he was not a coach that liked to spend huge dollars on 1 or 2 players. While he has paid big dollars in a couple of situations, in the long run, it appears he has held true to that philosophy....hence the trade of Wilson and Wagner. An elite QB will always demand high dollars which often weakens a team in the long run.

Personally, I am excited and optimistic about this team. It is by far a huge improvement over last season. Can they win the SB? I think they can. They certainly have the talent. However, the NFL is competitive. There WILL be some tough games. Even the weakest team in the NFL can often compete against the best team at times. No game is a sure thing.