Geno is the worst season opening QB in Seahawks history.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Most of us who thought a Russ trade would be good for the franchise probably weren't basing that decision on how competitive the 2022 team would be.
I was told by you and others during the off season that this team could win this year with Geno Smith at the helm (and that Lock was a viable contender for a starting NFL QB). Posters are now shifting to we knew we would lose but it was the right thing anyway.

toffee

Reaction score
I was told by you and others during the off season that this team could win this year with Geno Smith at the helm (and that Lock was a viable contender for a starting NFL QB). Posters are now shifting to we knew we would lose but it was the right thing anyway.
Not this poster, I am standing firm behind our team, our players, and predicting a positive result. I am cheering our boys on until they fail me, then I will critique their short comings. I am having a positive outlook for this season, here is why:

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Just wondering where all the folks who wanted Russ traded stand on this? You guys went from hooting and hollering when Geno stood in last year (some even claiming Geno was better than Russ and the offense looked better, DK was getting mad and it was better than Geno, etc.). Some of those folks then got excited about Lock.

Yet, here we are. I know…season hasn’t started yet.

Right.
Keep deflecting and attributing untruths. You're not doing it well but it makes it easy to spot the disingenuous mental contortions you try using to be right.

You are right and your beliefs are true for YOU and the other DOOMSAYERS here. Keep going with emotional knee-jerk reactions based in your feelings.

Many others will enjoy the season as it comes.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Keep deflecting and attributing untruths. You're not doing it well but it makes it easy to spot the disingenuous mental contortions you try using to be right.

You are right and your beliefs are true for YOU and the other DOOMSAYERS here. Keep going with emotional knee-jerk reactions based in your feelings.

Many others will enjoy the season as it comes.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
See the post directly above yours for a great answer to your questions in green. I mean seriously, it is literally the post right above yours.
I really believe Pete Carroll really wanted to keep Russell, and as a result worked hard to do what he could to keep him. John Snyder seemed to always be on the lookout for the next in line, but Pete's veto power trumped significant moves to develop a replacement.

When Russell was here he didn't make any space for a potential successor. He religiously took all first team practice reps. When he was injured he saw the writing on the wall as Geno showed some capability and success with effective play against the lowly Jaguars.

Russell came back early as the king of the QB room, and unfortunately Pete didn't stop him. Russell was nowhere near ready, but Pete was still trying to appease Russell with a belief that Russell would stay with the Seahawks.

At some point it became clear that Russell was not going to resign following this season and Pete capitulated. Pete was finally convinced that Russell was done here and let Snyder pursue a trade with his blessing.

And now here we are. With the fresh air of hope and youth and possibility. This is really an exciting season because of the opportunities and possibilities. There's no longer a stench of the limitations of incompatible mindsets between the team and one important individual.

No QB carries a team alone. The best of them know this to the core. Russell Wilson can be great, but of all the great throws he's made in his career there are ten other players that are involved in making each success possible. Russell Wilson didn't become great alone.

This is going to be a great year! Finding and developing a great QB is a long process. We have two possible redemption stories on the roster and if either cannot show the ability to learn and develop into an effective leader this year, the likelihood of bringing in the next QB to develop by next draft is high.

keasley45

Reaction score

Bud, who is shifting on anything? Sorry if you don't take the time to fully comprehend what some here are saying.

An argument taking a position countering the 'Geno sucks and we will be awful with him', does not mean you think we are going to the superbowl. The point of engagement was around whether or not he should even be considered to start. YOU are conflating that with 'Geno is as good as Wilson'..

Other point of discussion / debate has been around how 'great' you had to be to lead this offense to success. And that discussion was mired in criticism of our coach and the complete ineffectiveness of our offense, which was wrapped up in the belief that there was no offense but Wilson.

So disagreeing with the idea that for a qb to succeed, you had to do the 'impossible' (the way Russ did, because the coaching was terrible and the scheme on offense hopeless (and therefore Russ and whoever would take his place would be forced to 'carry it') and countering that the offense doesn't suck, playing the position shouldn't be as hard as it was made to be, and that a qb shouldn't have to carry it, is an argument that I absolutely 20000% agree with (and I'm sure most, if not all the folks you're 'calling out' would as well).

You twisting that into 'we'll be fine with Geno' is you're own personal game of mental gymnastics.

There have been polls and posts about when we should draft a qb. Seems the pro Russ crowd was more amped to get a guy this year, than to wait to 2023, and if they were ok with waiting, they thought this year would be a total loss. The 2023 crowd was ok with going with Lock or Geno for a year... and thinking that we don't have to be God awful if we do that. Nobody said either of those guys were 'the guy'.. virtually everybody siding with the 'just start Lock or Geno for a year ' crowd said they didn't see doing so as giving up or that the season was lost... or that we'd even be bad.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I still believe they can win. They have yet to take one snap of relevant ball. Why would I think otherwise? Why are you so comfortable accepting failure before seeing the season play out? How can you be so certain of failure? What's your payoff in expressing such a pessimistic viewpoint?

How often do teams outplay expectations or underperform them?

Enjoy professional football. If complaining and commiserating with doomsayers and spreaders of vitriol is how you enjoy football then have at it. I don't fully get it, but I understand emotions and fandom are often one and the same.

keasley45

Reaction score
I still believe they can win. They have yet to take one snap of relevant ball. Why would I think otherwise? Why are you so comfortable accepting failure before seeing the season play out? How can you be so certain of failure? What's your payoff in expressing such a pessimistic viewpoint?

Enjoy professional football. If complaining and commiserating with doomsayers and spreaders of vitriol is how you enjoy football then have at it. I don't fully get it, but I understand emotions and fandom are often one and the same.

Seriously.

Projection at its finest.

Nobody is running from anything. Russ being gone is the best thing for this team.

Rebuilding the team around the philosophy that made us great in the first place is the best thing.

Not bringing In a guy who you aren't sure you want to invest in full term ( Mayfield, Garapolo - although I wouldn't mind him) is the right thing.

Waiting to 2023 to get our guy and in the next 17 games, rolling with Geno / Lock IS THE RIGHT THING.

And not expecting that because we are doing that, that we can't be a 7 win team, tickling or slightly better than .500.

Nobody said our team is set with Geno or Lock. MANY said they can be better here than they've been in the past( so far, Geno has been , and Lock is still here, learning). And I can't recall ANYONE who was good with rolling with Geno or Lock saying that if they played well, we shouldn't draft a guy in 23. Regardless of what they did, the move was to get a guy in 23.

toffee

Reaction score

I think the team will struggle for the first 10 games or so, too many young players, new schemes, and we lack game changing super star to carry the team over in tight games. But I fully expect the team to improve over the course of season. By mid point, our boys ought to get more familiar with the scheme, of each other, and started to play more as one, for rookies, the game may slow down some for them. Remember we could start 6 or more rookies, two offense tackles, two CBs, 1 RB, and 2 EDs. There's a lot of learning.

I hope and predict winning at least 4 of the last 8 games, if we could steal a game or two from the first 9 games, we could finish the season with 5 to 7 wins.

toffee

Reaction score
This thread topic is one of the worst in Seahawks history.

The anger around Geno starting is really something to behold.
Those folks may be in for some disappointments, Geno isn't as bad as they read or think, at least not lately. With some help from his teammates and football God. Geno could look JimmyGnesque.

chrispy

Reaction score
If you're jonesing for more .net QB discussion and have run out of threads, just use the advanced search for pre-2012 and search for Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. You can re-read about a dozen arguments that are exactly the same as above.

Of course you have to search pre-2012 because of all the threads about great defense, growth and SuperBowl expectations fill up the search afterward. Sadly, QB arguments are completely irrelevant after 1 season. Personally, I'll miss all the losing predictions, worst-in-the-history-of-the-Seahawks, 32 out of 32, fewest wins ever, and actual-end-of-the-world predictions of the last 6 months. It'll be a shame to follow a proven process toward a Championship team and lose out on all the above again.... sad-face.

toffee

Reaction score
If you're jonesing for more .net QB discussion and have run out of threads, just use the advanced search for pre-2012 and search for Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. You can re-read about a dozen arguments that are exactly the same as above.

Of course you have to search pre-2012 because of all the threads about great defense, growth and SuperBowl expectations fill up the search afterward. Sadly, QB arguments are completely irrelevant after 1 season. Personally, I'll miss all the losing predictions, worst-in-the-history-of-the-Seahawks, 32 out of 32, fewest wins ever, and actual-end-of-the-world predictions of the last 6 months. It'll be a shame to follow a proven process toward a Championship team and lose out on all the above again.... sad-face.
I am quite at peace with starting the season with the New Geno Smith, ie the reformed Geno of '21 and '22, not the old Geno of '13 and '14. I do accept his ceiling may be low, but we are in gap year. The team has so many holes, '22 and '23 would be the hole filling years. Fire Pete if no major turn around in '24.

Meantime, I am enjoying the heck out of our rookies and other young players.

JimmyforourQB

Reaction score
He’s not the worst starter ever! That’s why they are starting him so they aren’t that team that starts the worst ever… If they started lock, then the Seahawks would’ve been the team that started the worst quarterback ever. They didn’t want to be the team … … hence … Gino gets the nod

Rainger

Reaction score
christ and i thought i was a big time fan. even i've missed games from time to time
In the early years when they were blacked out I would listen in Victoria on konp. Then later
I use to race sailboat and recorded every game.
When I could I would drive down from Canada for as many games possible.
When I lived in Australia I would take Mondays off work and watch your Sunday games early in the morning. If I couldn't see them I listened over the net.
I have had gamepass since the start.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We've had QBs I thought were going to be world beaters but never panned out in the least, so I'd say there's probably kind of a logjam for worst ever. I hope Geno plays to the best of his potential just so he can enjoy having something good in his career to look back on while sitting under a shade tree sipping his 'tea' a couple years from now.

BASF

Reaction score
I'd like to thank the OP for the laugh and the trip down memory lane. I am guessing that you never had to suffer through Kelly Stouffer. Kitna was also not as good as the current version of Smith. The 2008 version of Hass was not as good as the current version of Smith.

I understand that you believe that Smith has not changed his game since he broke in and was a turnover machine for the Jets. That is your right. However, his turnovers last season was an unfortunate interception when his receiver fell down. The fumble against the Steelers was a future hall of fame player who has the fifth highest forced fumbles in their first five seasons in the history of the stat making a play. It happens.