Earl: No Regrets About Flipping Pete Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

Reaction score
Disgraced us with his crusade!

Emo.

I just cant manage to see how Earl being the same Earl going out as he was while he was here should be so egregiously offensive that a few comments and a reckless gesture outweighs an entire career of playing his heart, soul and body out for his team and their fans.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":159fhdjx said:

Emo.

I just cant manage to see how Earl being the same Earl going out as he was while he was here should be so egregiously offensive that a few comments and a reckless gesture outweighs an entire career of playing his heart, soul and body out for his team and their fans.
Because the way he went out shouted at us all that he didn't measure appreciation by how much we loved him - the only thing that mattered to him was earning more money than another player on another team.

It didn't matter that he was already made the highest-paid safety when he signed his second contract.

It didn't matter that he got paid even though he missed 19 of 48 games over his last 3 seasons.

It didn't matter that we thought he was awesome and the best safety in the NFL.

None of that mattered to him more than earning a completely arbitrary amount of money defined entirely by what another person was making on another team.

An NFL player makes more money than he can spend in his lifetime, if he's not an idiot about how he spends it. If he IS an idiot about how he spends it, then it makes no difference how much you pay him; he'll still end up with nothing.

All these dollars that he's flipping Pete off about are absolutely meaningless to him in any real, tangible way. They don't impact his existence, or his kids' existence, or even their kids. Money is either used wisely or pissed away and all of it either goes one way or the other, and whether he earns 80 million or 81 million makes no difference.

That's why I feel betrayed by him as a fan, and that's why I feel he betrayed the team.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Does Earl strike you as an intelligent, level-headed, self-reflecting individual?
What did you expect his answer would be?

Seymour

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3cpzbbhg said:
McGruff":3cpzbbhg said:

Emo.

Because the way he went out shouted at us all that he didn't measure appreciation by how much we loved him - the only thing that mattered to him was earning more money than another player on another team.

It didn't matter that he was already made the highest-paid safety when he signed his second contract.

It didn't matter that he got paid even though he missed 19 of 48 games over his last 3 seasons.

None of that mattered to him more than earning a completely arbitrary amount of money defined entirely by what another person was making on another team.

An NFL player makes more money than he can spend in his lifetime, if he's not an idiot about how he spends it. If he IS an idiot about how he spends it, then it makes no difference how much you pay him; he'll still end up with nothing.

All these dollars that he's flipping Pete off about are absolutely meaningless to him in any real, tangible way. They don't impact his existence, or his kids' existence, or even their kids. Money is either used wisely or pissed away and all of it either goes one way or the other, and whether he earns 80 million or 81 million makes no difference.

That's why I feel betrayed by him as a fan, and that's why I feel he betrayed the team.

Exactly....and in this case it will just get blown anyway IMO. :roll:

Earl Thomas

toffee

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1oophi41 said:
Who cares. He's going to get flat backed by Carson anyway and he can throw both middle fingers up and it still won't matter.

:p :D THIS :D :p

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":2az9k8oc said:
KiwiHawk":2az9k8oc said:
McGruff":2az9k8oc said:

Emo.

Exactly....and in this case it will just get blown anyway IMO. :roll:

Earl Thomas

You guys, Kiwi and Seymour, yes the two of you. You weren't focusing on the real issue. Earl's children were hungry, needed food, which part of starving you guys couldn't understand?
:3-1:

D

DomeHawk

peachesenregalia":2r6bnxy9 said:
KiwiHawk":2r6bnxy9 said:
McGruff":2r6bnxy9 said:

Emo.

lowkey racism here again. Had nothing to do with dollars and everything to do with perceived respect. Earl consistently gave everything for this team, sold his body out every game. He felt that Pete misled him on re-injury risk when Earl would rather have protected his body in a meaningless game.

Pete and the team aren't above criticism. Al of the Earl bashing is emo as hell.

There may be some truth to what you say but when he went into the Dallas locker room and did what he did he sealed his fate with Seahawk's fans. THAT had nothing to do with race.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1gcgbv5u said:
lowkey racism here again. Had nothing to do with dollars and everything to do with perceived respect. Earl consistently gave everything for this team, sold his body out every game. He felt that Pete misled him on re-injury risk when Earl would rather have protected his body in a meaningless game.

Pete and the team aren't above criticism. Al of the Earl bashing is emo as hell.

You know it is possible to write a post without calling people a racist. You can just skip that part and get to your point, that's totally cool here.

Earl was and still is an impulsive immature ego driven football player..........and I love him for that because it's part what made him great.

Maybe Pete did promise he was trying to work on an extension. Doesn't mean Pete was lying, Earl was also culpable in his demise here with insane contract demands and talking crap to the press making it much harder for Pete and John to work with him and his agent.

Chapow

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":30kwcwcs said:

The guy played his ass off and was an absolute warrior out there every single play of his Seahawk career. He was still playing like an all pro for the team up until he was carted off the field last season.

The finger had absolutely nothing to do with the fans, the city of Seattle, or the team whatsoever. The finger was specifically directed at Pete. Obviously you're entitled to feel however you want to feel, but I couldn't disagree more that he betrayed the fans and the team, and I find the notion preposterous.

quadsas

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1laecred said:
KiwiHawk":1laecred said:
McGruff":1laecred said:

Emo.

It's only July and we already have dumbest post of the year winner.

Wow.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers:
peachesenregalia":2km0abc6 said:
KiwiHawk":2km0abc6 said:
McGruff":2km0abc6 said:

Emo.

If you're going to make that kind of accusation you should probably show some sort of evidence as to what you perceived as racist. In a post that makes no mention of race or anything associated with it, I'm not so sure that you aren't the one that's racist or your assertion is merely a much more an emotional act of desperation than you accuse the other of.

Chapow

Reaction score
quadsas":312etzo5 said:
You can't be this dumb.

quadsas":312etzo5 said:
It's only July and we already have dumbest post of the year winner.

Wow.

Q: Why do so many people resort to name calling and insults to make their point, instead of making a clear argument?

A: It is called an ad hominem fallacy. This type of fallacy resorts to name calling, attacking opponent’s personality or reputation instead of countering the argument based on logical facts and examples.

The reason why a lot of people seem to resort to this type of fallacy? It’s easy, way easier even, to attack someone without thinking, and that’s probably because they can’t verbalise their arguments in a proper manner.

Would a young child be able to successfully argue with another young child without resorting to name-calling? No, because the children are too young to communicate their hurt feelings to each other and reconcile as adults do

Just something to think about since it seems like you have a hard time disagreeing with someone without resorting to name calling.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Kam held out and missed games due to contract issues, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman did not. People paint this picture of Kam being a model leader. He cost his team some games due to his hold out. Earl will be in Seahawk ring of honor and he deserves it. He was the glue that helped LOB be what it was.

quadsas

Reaction score
Chapow you never responded to any of my points, you just kept saying 'finger' 'finger' 'finger', that's why I called you a troll, cause either you are one or you are really dumb. Not once did you address my actual arguments.

and peaches, anyone who thinks this situation has any racist undertones is absolutely mentally disturbed. youre infact going to my ignore list cause that post proved to me that you have absolutely nothing of value to provide to conversation

fenderbender123

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1xe023si said:
They’ll come to terms on day, just like how Kenny Easley came to term with the Hawks after they nearly destroyed his insides.

I understand the perspective, but I don't agree with saying that the organization destroyed his insides. The hits he took and gave did. He chose to go on the field. People need to be responsible for their actions even if their are other influences in play.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
We have asked once already to keep on topic. We don't want to go back and clean this thread up and dissect the heck out of it. So one final request to get back on topic. If not, it will be locked. As always, we will be watching.

chris98251

Reaction score
quadsas":8np5bwdt said:
Chapow you never responded to any of my points, you just kept saying 'finger' 'finger' 'finger', that's why I called you a troll, cause either you are one or you are really dumb. Not once did you address my actual arguments.

and peaches, anyone who thinks this situation has any racist undertones is absolutely mentally disturbed. youre infact going to my ignore list cause that post proved to me that you have absolutely nothing of value to provide to conversation

I am sure he is crushed, but you will be able to read his quoted posts in the replies of others.......

Oh and so Kitsap doesn't have to vomit doing his biology dissection exam, Earl blew it up, he is emotional but Pete and John also are responsible. Earl was playing in good faith and something bad happened.

Earl really should have had the rod inserted after the first time I think it would have helped with the stress he put on it which caused the second break.

He is a in the moment thinker and does not think ahead and things through.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":khyx2dtn said:
Yeah, anyone accusing me of racism for correctly calling out the latent racism in this thread is themselves a racist. Objectively speaking.
Doesn't really work that way. I haven't read the whole thread, but there wasn't anything in that specific post. Desperation or self reflection, one of the two.

Chapow

Reaction score
quadsas":2xloakwc said:

That isn't at all what happened.

This topic is about Earl flipping the bird. You started our back and forth when you responded to one of my posts that was specifically about flipping the bird. I responded by addressing all of your arguments.

Chapow":2xloakwc said:
I don't either.

And yet, there's a metric shit ton of emo butthurt directed towards Earl from Seahawks fans, and basically none directed towards Marshawn or Doug.

Seems weird since flipping the bird is apparently the most egregious offense a person could possibly commit.

OH THE HUMANITY!!! EARL FLIPPED THE BIRD!!! *but it's totes fine that Marshawn and Doug did the exact same thing* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't remember Earl buying a page in a newspaper thanking the organisation and the fans, also I recall him chasing after Cowboys begging them to take him. Oh and mouthing off to Seahawks every time he can is another thing I remember.

Lynch and Marshawn comparison is almost as bad as that movie director / actor one, which was one of the dumbest analogies I've ever heard, legit.

Wow, Lynch and Marshawn. :lol:

So, couple things,

I don't remember most former Seahawks players taking out a full page ad in the paper thanking the organisation and fans. That was awesome, but is hardly some standard that every player should be held to.

It was definitely a gaffe on his part that he chased down Garrett in public view and said "Come get me", but I can hardly blame a guy for wanting to play for the team that he's been a lifelong fan of when he feels like he's not wanted in Seattle any longer. If you were a professional football player, you'd probably want to get the chance to play for the Seahawks, wouldn't you?

And finally, your "mouthing off to Seahawks every time he can" comment is such a gross exaggeration that it's not even worth commenting on.

Then you started going off on some weird tangent claiming you had no idea why I'm talking about the finger when you responded to one of my posts that addressed literally nothing but the finger, in a thread where the topic is specifically Earl flipping the bird.

Yikes. You sound pretty confused.

I don't think fans should hate Marshawn and I don't think fans should hate Earl (or Doug). I don't think flipping the bird is the heinous offense that some people here like to portray it as. I also think it's really weird that people act like Earl committed a mortal sin when he flipped the bird, but pretty much ignore or don't care that both Marshawn and Doug did the exact same thing.

Did I ever mention the finger in my posts?

Sounds like you're the one absolutely lost.

You responded to my post that was specifically about nothing other than the finger in a thread that is specifically about the finger, and now your claiming that your response was not in regards to the finger?

You're right. I'm lost. What the hell are you talking about?

And then you took one sentence from one post, and took it out of context, as some sort of proof that I wasn't talking about the finger.

Did I ever mention the finger in my posts?

Sounds like you're the one absolutely lost.

You responded to my post that was specifically about nothing other than the finger in a thread that is specifically about the finger, and now your claiming that your response was not in regards to the finger?

You're right. I'm lost. What the hell are you talking about?

You truly are not seeing it.

'And yet, there's a metric shit ton of emo butthurt directed towards Earl from Seahawks fans, and basically none directed towards Marshawn or Doug.'

This is what you said.

It helps if you follow the whole conversation instead of just picking out one paragraph and taking it out of context.

xray":2xloakwc said:
Anyone think Marshawn regrets his flip of the bird?

NOPE

I don't either.

And yet, there's a metric shit ton of emo butthurt directed towards Earl from Seahawks fans, and basically none directed towards Marshawn or Doug.

Seems weird since flipping the bird is apparently the most egregious offense a person could possibly commit.

OH THE HUMANITY!!! EARL FLIPPED THE BIRD!!! *but it's totes fine that Marshawn and Doug did the exact same thing* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, I was specifically talking about flipping the bird. Try to keep up.

To everyone else in this thread, I apologize for the wall of quotes, but I'm not OK with someone trying to rewrite history and misrepresent what I said in some sort of bizarre attempt to win an argument or save face or whatever the hell this guy is trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts