Dre’Mont Jones is a Seahawk

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
So I've seen this from a couple of posts so far in this thread and just want to clarify...we are still running a 3-4 defense, correct? I understand we run some 4-3 variations at times, but I don't think we are a base 4-3 anymore? Jones is much better suited for a 3-4 defense, is why I ask.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
So I've seen this from a couple of posts so far in this thread and just want to clarify...we are still running a 3-4 defense, correct? I understand we run some 4-3 variations at times, but I don't think we are a base 4-3 anymore? Jones is much better suited for a 3-4 defense, is why I ask.
Yes, the Hawks running a 3-4 defense.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I just watched the Dre'Mont Jones highlights on YouTube...awesome!!! But, I am still 100% hoping for Jalen Carter as our first round choice.

This signing also affects the team needs in the draft...especially if we could re-sign Bobby. The next draft priority is Center and maybe a Guard. but if another EDGE is available it could be a top choice. After that I would value a Linebacker, Running Back, Safety and then the best player available for offense...Tight End, Receiver (although I think we already have some real talent at receiver) or Offensive Line depth.

After all, we would be set on offense with Jalen Carter at Fullback!

Chevy

Reaction score
PFF grades don't tell the whole story. I would point out that another FA interior lineman, Daron Payne, was also graded poorly by PFF. He was ranked 65th among DIs. The eye test would tell you that doesn't make much sense. Yes, it's true that players like Chris Jones, Dexter Lawrence, Aaron Donald, and Quinnen Williams are at the top of the list, making the grades seems legit, but you figure that the graders may be fudging, consciously or subconsciously, knowing who they are grading.
I pretty much made the same statement earlier in this thread. I posted the PFF grade because some here wanted to know is grade.

Chevy

Reaction score
Is this the first big early signing JS has made? I know Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril were signed in March of 2013, but it wasn't for this kind of money. In fact, if I remember correctly, Bennett's contract was for 1 year at around $5Mil.
As far as I can remember, this is the first time JS has signed a, widely considered, very good FA on day 1 of free agency.

Scout

Reaction score
Bottom line is that DreMont Jones is a disruptor on the inside which means that LBs can flow better and the edge rushers don't have to worry about seeing as many double teams. I still believe that the transformation of the front seven isn't finished though.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This is great. It really opens up the draft board to all kinds of possibilities. Let's Goooòoooo!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Carter exceeds all that because his talent is undeniable, if he's there at 5 you take him without even a whiff of hesitation
I’m not saying you don’t I just don’t think Seattle will. It doesn’t make sense for John to keep making character a point of emphasis in ever interview only to not do it with his first pick. I just don’t see it

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It looks to me like the new Bronco defensive coordinator chose to bring in his guy, Zach Allen, over retaining Dre'Mont Jones. Perhaps it's a case of different defenses looking for different attributes.

Feel free to advise your Bear forum of the following .............

Wow, that is a ton of money that Poles could have spent to fix the Bears OL. Now that the Broncos have a real head coach and a greatly upgraded OL, their offense should be much better. I’m jealous.

Mick063

Reaction score
This is giving me some serious Cliff Avril vibes. Not exactly the same position but the equivalent pocket pressure is there. I love guys that can collapse the pocket from more than one spot. Michael Bennett could do that.

All of a sudden, drafting for "need" is taking a back seat to drafting for "ceiling".

John can take whomever he is "in love with" now. Doesn't mean that the guy still isn't Carter or a quarterback, or a "trade down for value" guy, but I personally believe that they stay at #5, that there are two defensive players in the mix, and they take the guy that the Cardinals pass on. Anderson or Carter.

Watch it be Tyree Wilson being the guy that John has fallen in love with and prove me wrong. I wouldn't be upset at taking him at #5 though.

Later on, there is this tight end that really caught my eye in the combine. He has superstar written all over him. Wistful thinking.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
**** the bears. nobody cares about 'dA BeARs'

and chicago is a complete and total shithole unless you live in a gated community on the northside. if you live in urban chicago, the bears should be the least of your concerns.

anyway, back to seahawks.

View attachment 58157

I agree about "*** the Bears," but I disagree about Chicago. The four years I spent in Hyde Park were really great.

I lived on 57th close to Washington Park, then on Greenwood just south of 51st. I used to go out frequently after midnight on foot to get Harold's chicken, I shopped at the Jewel just south of 75th on Stony Island, across Stony Island and a couple of blocks south of the Nation of Islam's big mosque. I never had any problems at all. And since I left, that whole area has been heavily gentrified. For example, the regular-people grocery store at 51st and Lake Park where I used to buy IBC root beer is gone and has been replaced by a :rolleyes:Whole Foods:rolleyes:.

And culturally, those four years were amazing. I used to catch blues shows at places like the Checkerboard, Buddy Guy's Legends, B.L.U.E.S. (and I think a second location called something like "B.L.U.E.S. etc."), and the Kingston Mines. There was an awesome jazz show every week at the Blackstone Hotel. The Blues Festival in June, the Taste of Chicago in early July, and the Jazz Festival in September were all very much worth attending. The Art Institute deserves its fame, and I enjoyed multiple expositions at the Smart Gallery. Plus a math-and-science nerd like me couldn't miss going to the Museum of Science and Industry (I used to refer to it as "µ Sci & I"). Some major musical artists (and some minor ones I liked) played shows at the U of C, and many others played shows in the region. I also saw multiple shows by the Second City (sketch-comedy farm system for SNL) and attended several theater shows. Food-wise, it was great too. I already mentioned Harold's, which is simply spectacular. One summer, a buddy of mine gave himself the mission of finding and and eating from every Harold's location. I went to many with him. I also enjoyed the gigantic (eat-with-a-fork-and-knife) burritos another friend and I used to get in a Mexican neighborhood well to the west of Hyde Park. I went to some snooty-but-really-good steak houses and Italian restaurants. And I came to really like Chicago-style Pizza (John Stewart can kiss my ass). I went to some of the famous places, but I enjoyed a couple of less-well-known places right in Hyde Park (on 57th heading over toward Lake Park, I think) at least as much as I did the famous places. And the Taste of Chicago let me try something from each of a $#!+load of different restaurants around the city each summer.

If I had to, I'd live in Chicago again and be pretty happy about it, except for the damn cold. I lived for over 12 years in Maine (and for a few months, including a winter, on top of a mountain in Switzerland) and thought I knew what cold was until I moved to Chicago and learned that there were whole other levels of cold. In Chicago, I got about a week's worth (usually broken up into two or three short stretches) of days each winter that were at least as cold as the two worst days I can remember from Maine winters. And honestly, I don't think I'd want to spend another winter even in Maine. If I never have to step in slush again in my life, it will still be too soon.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The real answer is "kinda." There's a ton of overlap. They, like almost every team in the NFL, no longer fall neatly into one camp. It's not an either-or anymore.

All of this "3-4" stuff comes from Clint Hurtt saying last year that they're moving further in the direction of 3-4 fronts. They still run bear fronts, and they ran a ton of 2-4 in nickel. The 4-3 under and bear fronts shared a lot with the 3-4 to begin with.

It's a much, much more nuanced thing in reality.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I agree about "*** the Bears," but I disagree about Chicago. The four years I spent in Hyde Park were really great.

I lived on 57th close to Washington Park, then on Greenwood just south of 51st. I used to go out frequently after midnight on foot to get Harold's chicken, I shopped at the Jewel just south of 75th on Stony Island, across Stony Island and a couple of blocks south of the Nation of Islam's big mosque. I never had any problems at all. And since I left, that whole area has been heavily gentrified. For example, the regular-people grocery store at 51st and Lake Park where I used to buy IBC root beer is gone and has been replaced by a :rolleyes:Whole Foods:rolleyes:.

And culturally, those four years were amazing. I used to catch blues shows at places like the Checkerboard, Buddy Guy's Legends, B.L.U.E.S. (and I think a second location called something like "B.L.U.E.S. etc."), and the Kingston Mines. There was an awesome jazz show every week at the Blackstone Hotel. The Blues Festival in June, the Taste of Chicago in early July, and the Jazz Festival in September were all very much worth attending. The Art Institute deserves its fame, and I enjoyed multiple expositions at the Smart Gallery. Plus a math-and-science nerd like me couldn't miss going to the Museum of Science and Industry (I used to refer to it as "µ Sci & I"). Some major musical artists (and some minor ones I liked) played shows at the U of C, and many others played shows in the region. I also saw multiple shows by the Second City (sketch-comedy farm system for SNL) and attended several theater shows. Food-wise, it was great too. I already mentioned Harold's, which is simply spectacular. One summer, a buddy of mine gave himself the mission of finding and and eating from every Harold's location. I went to many with him. I also enjoyed the gigantic (eat-with-a-fork-and-knife) burritos another friend and I used to get in a Mexican neighborhood well to the west of Hyde Park. I went to some snooty-but-really-good steak houses and Italian restaurants. And I came to really like Chicago-style Pizza (John Stewart can kiss my ass). I went to some of the famous places, but I enjoyed a couple of less-well-known places right in Hyde Park (on 57th heading over toward Lake Park, I think) at least as much as I did the famous places. And the Taste of Chicago let me try something from each of a $#!+load of different restaurants around the city each summer.

If I had to, I'd live in Chicago again and be pretty happy about it, except for the damn cold. I lived for over 12 years in Maine (and for a few months, including a winter, on top of a mountain in Switzerland) and thought I knew what cold was until I moved to Chicago and learned that there were whole other levels of cold. In Chicago, I got about a week's worth (usually broken up into two or three short stretches) of days each winter that were at least as cold as the two worst days I can remember from Maine winters. And honestly, I don't think I'd want to spend another winter even in Maine. If I never have to step in slush again in my life, it will still be too soon.
I never lived in Chicago. I lived in Urbana, but have been in Chicago many times. I think he was probably referring to the fact that Chicago has the highest homicide rate in the U.S. I would not feel safe on the South side on Saturday night.

BASF

Reaction score
My favorite thought this morning has been that Me3 was complaining about his time with the Seahawks and Dre'Mont was thinking, "Damn, that sounds really good to me, let's see if my agent can get me there."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Is it just me or is a 3 year deal at 17 per way better for his prime years opposed to Hargrave at 30-34 aged years at 21 per?

Is Hargrave that much better?

Hargrave was the #1 D-lineman on the market, and has had almost 20 sacks over the past two years.

So yes, older but still playing at an EXTREMELY high level.

But I like this sort of gamble with free agency, identifying players that haven't reached their full potential, and not overpaying for players who are probably on their way down.

Especially with a rebuild. We weren't one player away from a SB. This is a COMPLETE front seven overhaul. So IMO great foundational signing.

bileever

Reaction score
I think the Hargrave signing is interesting for a couple of reasons. The 49ers wanted to improve their run defense, but Hargrave is not particularly strong against the run (49.0 PFF grade, 92nd among interior defenders). He's a good pass rusher from the inside, but the 49ers are already good at rushing the passer. Also, DeForest Buckner points out that he signed for the same amount, so why didn't they just hold on to Buckner, who is the better and younger player? I get that it's good to improve your team while simultaneously weakening your rivals, but I think they're setting themselves up for a Rams-like problem in 2024. With Armstead ($85 million/5 years), Hargrave ($84 million/4 years) and Bosa ($???), that's going to be a really expensive D-line. Is it sustainable?

Here's an interesting Bay area take on it:

94Smith

Reaction score
Bookend OTs in 22. Looks like multiple top end additions to DL in 23.

Fun to imagine DJones and WAnderson rushing Sam Darnold in SF....
Sam Darnold is a back up.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think the Hargrave signing is interesting for a couple of reasons. The 49ers wanted to improve their run defense, but Hargrave is not particularly strong against the run (49.0 PFF grade, 92nd among interior defenders). He's a good pass rusher from the inside, but the 49ers are already good at rushing the passer. Also, DeForest Buckner points out that he signed for the same amount, so why didn't they just hold on to Buckner, who is the better and younger player? I get that it's good to improve your team while simultaneously weakening your rivals, but I think they're setting themselves up for a Rams-like problem in 2024. With Armstead ($85 million/5 years), Hargrave ($84 million/4 years) and Bosa ($???), that's going to be a really expensive D-line. Is it sustainable?

Here's an interesting Bay area take on it:

The Hargrave signing wasn’t to improve the run defense. He likely won’t even be in rotation on rushing downs, Kevin Givens will. As well, I don’t know where the narrative that they wanted to improve their rush defense came from. 49ers had the number one rush defense in 2022. Sure the eagles were able to run for 132 yards, but this was on 42 carries! This was more a function of 49ers having zero offense in that game to keep the defense off the field.

The move was for pass rush production from the interior

This is more of an indictment on Javon Kinlaw whose knee has kiboshed his career and draft expectations. Thankfully Lynch has hit on a lot of late draft choices because his first round record is pretty bad