Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Is he the leader the team will follow going into the season?

I was surprised that the Seahawks were so quick to forgive Geno Smith for his DUI arrest in Jan. 2022 and his absolute garbage behavior during the arrest and blood draw process. I honestly expected to read the next week that the Hawks had waived him. Example of his behavior:

Smith was reportedly driving 96 miles per hour in a 60 mph zone in his Rolls Royce. Police documents said he drove erratically, smelled of booze and told them he drank wine before driving.
Officers allege Smith became belligerent during field sobriety tests and then stopped participating. He was then taken back to the police station.
“I joked with him about how my wife thinks I work too much. Somehow he said that’s because ‘you have a little d–k,'” an officer wrote in documents. “I said, wow, maybe that is the problem, then he said, ‘You have a little d–k, you have little d–k syndrome.'”

The 31-year-old refused both a breathalyzer and a blood test. “I’ll f–k every one of y’all up,” he reportedly told officers before having his arms and legs restrained. “You don’t want to see me out of these cuffs, you don’t want to know what will happen.”

I honestly haven't followed his court case, because it's irrelevant to me. Geno's behavior during the arrest, and his poor judgment to put himself in that situation in the first place are huge red flags

There there is the 2015 incident with the Jets where Smith got sucker-punched by a backup LB (NK Enemkpali) who he owed money to -- $600!! and kept blowing off. The sucker punch broke Geno's jaw and he was out 6 weeks, opening the path for Ryan Fitzpatrick to take the starting QB job and run with it. The $600 mattered to this reserve rookie LB, but was pocket change to Geno. While the sucker punch was a horrible thing, part of me feels like Geno got what he deserved. Why TF did Geno keep stiffing this guy instead of handling business he agreed to? Then Geno mocked him, in a smug superior way. Then he got punched and lost his smugness. This is team leader behavior? Not in my book! Geno flaked on a commitment to a teammate and then mocked him and threw him under the bus. Read about it here...

To me, Geno's judgment to speed 96 in a 60 zone and act like an ass-clown in his Jan. 2022 interactions with the cops suggest that the tiger hasn't really changed his stripes. When the chips are down, when the pressure is on, it seems the ugly truth about Geno Smith comes out. Geno had late, game-winning drive opportunities vs both the Saints and the Steelers. Both times Geno stumbled, fumbled, made bad decisions and crumbled meekly under pressure.

Is that just who Geno Smith is at this point in his NFL career and life, someone who stumbles, fumbles, and generally makes bad decisions when the pressure is on? Or do people see truly redeeming leadership qualities in Geno, where a team will follow him to hell and back under pressure, because of their strong belief in his leadership, character, and will to win? Did the Hawks make the right call to stand behind Geno and gloss over the DUI, or should they have cut ties with him at that point?

P.S. This is not an argument for or against Drew Lock. For all we know Lock could have worse issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

keasley45

Reaction score
That's my biggest concern with the dude. I see his on the field body language after a failed play and its sometimes sulky, pouty... just negative in a way that's not conducive to maintaining positivity in the huddle. There's a lack of maturity there that I don't think will change at this point.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The first time I heard of him as a pro QB was because he borrowed money from one of his defensive players and mocked him.

You punk your own teammate when you are assured of having a longer playing career and earning more as a QB?
Nobody on your team will like you, making me question his intellect.

As we moved on throughout his career, he continued to make stupid mistakes. The DUI is just one in a list of 'what were you thinking?" both on the field and off.

I just don't think he is intellectually gifted enough to be a QB in the league. As someone already pointed out, he processes what is going on the field too slowly.

Maybe he can turn it around. I think Pete can get to .500 with him. But I would honestly rather have Seneca Wallace.

There is no upside here, just lots of mediocre.

balakoth

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone cares.. or even wants to make the playoffs this year? I want to see young guys progress and us lose by 3 points each game, take top 3 pick with denvers 10th or 13th ;)

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses... was wondering if I'd get flamed by a bunch of Geno-fanboys or fangirls, which would be fine, I'd learn some other points of view on Geno. Definitely KJ Wright is a Geno fan, which is a good sign. And Pete talks up Geno. I really would like to root for the dude, just finding it a bit difficult. 2015 to 2022, long time between publicized incidents, but the "Do you know who I am?" and feeling entitled to special treatment type of behavior with the cops was very unbecoming for a potential starting QB.

Interesting point Keasley45 makes, about Geno's sulky, pouty body language after a failed play. I'll be watching for it from now on. I didn't notice any in the Jacksonville game, probably because so much went well.

I sure notice that QBs that are able to generate remarkable comebacks, the factor that everyone believes 100% in the QB, and everyone keeps doing their job on every play, no matter the score. Sure, there are marquee QBs like Brady, Montana, Young, Rodgers, Mahomes, Elway, Luck, and of course Russell Wilson, and others. There are also lesser-knowns like Nick Foles, Frank Reich, and Case Keenum who passed the leadership challenge in remarkable ways when called upon. We saw Nick Foles lead a Bears comeback last season in a game Seattle should have won, beating a healthy Russell Wilson in the process.

To a certain extent, Geno has been snakebit, but after enough failures at "winning time" for random reasons, we wind up having to acknowledge that's just who Geno is, a guy who bad things always happen to, and conclude that Geno bears primary responsibility for those outcomes. I do wish Geno success, and would love for him to prove me flamingly wrong this coming season.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Geno's ceiling might very well be what we've already seen. I can't say that with any certainty. I just know that what he is experiencing now in his career is unlike anything else he has experienced in his career. He's vying for a starting job on a presumably functional team. His years as Russ's backup aren't the same as this. His time with the dysfunctional Jets is not the same as this.

He might excel. He might sh*t the bed. But if he fails, it won't be because he didn't have a legitimate opportunity.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think Geno is probably an upper-echelon backup, talent-wise. I think some people are a little harsh because their expectations have been thrown out of whack by generally-good quarterback play for the past two decades, with some stretches of badness.

What I'm looking for is who the locker room wants to have the job. Who they rally around. So far, all indications are that Geno holds that distinction - but I'm not in the room.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm the last person who should be lecturing anyone on not drinking, but wasn't that like a week after the Henry Ruggs thing? How freakin' stupid do you have to be? And the NFL has a free designated driver program, not that cost should prevent him from getting a driver, given the millions of dollars he has made in his career.

My issue with Geno isn't as much leadership and accountability anyway, as much as it is that he totally sucks balls.

Last edited:

Death

Reaction score
I don't care if everybody loves him to death, he is not that good of a quarterback. That's just my opinion, but yes trust me I will be the first to raise my hand and say I was wrong if he does do better than I think he will.

toffee

Reaction score
Geno's ceiling might very well be what we've already seen. I can't say that with any certainty. I just know that what he is experiencing now in his career is unlike anything else he has experienced in his career. He's vying for a starting job on a presumably functional team. His years as Russ's backup aren't the same as this. His time with the dysfunctional Jets is not the same as this.

He might excel. He might sh*t the bed. But if he fails, it won't be because he didn't have a legitimate opportunity.
I am with your BlueTalon, I think last season's 3.5 games of 5TD/1INT may be the best of Geno's pro career. His PFF for those games was 73.9, almost as good as JimmyG, that was probably Geno's ceiling. My question for past two months or so has been, can Geno play at that level for a whole season? If he could, we got ourselves a Jimmy on the cheap.

In Geno's playing history, Geno's biggest problem was big game heroics, he seldom raised to the moment, more often than not, he cracked under pressure. Poised under pressure, he hasn't been. Hopefully, coaches and teammates encouragement will boost his confidence.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It won’t matter, we suck. We will be lucky to win 5 games.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Geno will be fine if given a chance. He told us all a few weeks ago why he hasn’t been a starter in the league. We really, really need to believe him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That's the rub isn't it?
We can do a few things but they all have low chances of success:

1 - We can do what the 49ers did. Spend a 1st on a tremendously talented player with little tape/skill and hope we can develop him into a great player. Better chance at doing so, because we don't need to be a 3rd worst team in the league to run it. But it is risky. So far, the Jets and 49ers tried this approach, maybe the Titans. We don't know if the Jets will pan out, doesn't look like it. No idea on the Titans, too early. The 49ers look like it MIGHT pan out. But still no clear indicator.

2 - We can lose big, and shoot for a top 3 pick as QB. Even this has only a 20-30% chance of success, as a top pick overall. And we won't likely get the top pick overall. Even so though, Baker Mayfield was a #1 overall.

3 - draft a lower pick, and hope you can get a diamond in the rough. Patriots tried this. No idea if it will work. Not sold on Mac Jones right now.

But yes, a 1 in 3 chance is actually one of the better odds. That still means that most of the time it doesn't work out even if you do everything else right.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The only positives so far are Walker and Homer on offense. This is how a Geno led offense looks like. A lot of short passes but no tds. Can't win many games that way. Doesn't matter if it's preseason. Geno has been in the league long enough to be producing better than Trubiskys and Rudolphs of the world.

Edit: Geno finally ran for a td right before halftime. Still not enough in my opinion.

toffee

Reaction score
That's the rub isn't it?
We can do a few things but they all have low chances of success:

1 - We can do what the 49ers did. Spend a 1st on a tremendously talented player with little tape/skill and hope we can develop him into a great player. Better chance at doing so, because we don't need to be a 3rd worst team in the league to run it. But it is risky. So far, the Jets and 49ers tried this approach, maybe the Titans. We don't know if the Jets will pan out, doesn't look like it. No idea on the Titans, too early. The 49ers look like it MIGHT pan out. But still no clear indicator.

2 - We can lose big, and shoot for a top 3 pick as QB. Even this has only a 20-30% chance of success, as a top pick overall. And we won't likely get the top pick overall. Even so though, Baker Mayfield was a #1 overall.

3 - draft a lower pick, and hope you can get a diamond in the rough. Patriots tried this. No idea if it will work. Not sold on Mac Jones right now.

But yes, a 1 in 3 chance is actually one of the better odds. That still means that most of the time it doesn't work out even if you do everything else right.
History may not repeat itself, but I remember fans had the same opinions in 2010 and 2011 :)