Does anyone else question Geno's leadership and accountability cred?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Even after getting arrested for a DUI and doing 96 in a 60 I still think his off field decision making is better than his on field decision making.

i asked in another thread but what is the standard “you got a DUI“ game suspension he’s looking at? 1?
I think his on-field decision making is actually alright, he rarely makes the wrong decision

He's just too damn slow to get to the decision

schkoot

Reaction score
As I said, Maelstrom, he stole from a defensive player much poorer than he was. Then he laughed about it. He mocked the guy.

Go look into how he has conducted himself.
Admittedly, there could be some-Wilsonesque moral balancing going on and Geno could be donating time, healing sick kids, delivering food to the homeless, and building shelters for battered partners. But I doubt it.

He comes off as a piece of ish. And his own words aren't exactly helping him right now.
I've been a habitual lurker of these boards for a really long time (Kitna era) but I can't remember seeing anything about this incident posted. Care to share a link to a report?

I've had a soft spot for Geno, but if this incident is what you say it is, I might be in for team Lock going forward.

Thanks in advance.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm talking to Twisted, who quite literally compared Geno to a murderer and then chose the murderer

Edit: Ah, I guess it was attempted murder. I took his "killed someone" statement at face value.
OK, fair enough. I just think that it's pretty sad when we defend someone by noting that they are part of the 99.9% of the population that are not murderers.

And as far as attempted murder goes, I agree that it wasn't a good analogy. But driving drunk, 95mph at night on an urban freeway could have very well led to negligent homicide, so although the intent is different, the potential end result is the same as attempted murder. Even though it wasn't a fair statement, it wasn't outrageous, either.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I've been a habitual lurker of these boards for a really long time (Kitna era) but I can't remember seeing anything about this incident posted. Care to share a link to a report?

I've had a soft spot for Geno, but if this incident is what you say it is, I might be in for team Lock going forward.

Thanks in advance.
It's the time he got his jaw broken in the Jets locker room.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He looks lost and scared out there. And seems to be afraid to throw it more than 15 yards. He's just not a good QB, period.
His intermediate accuracy is one of his redeeming qualities. This much has always been clear with him.

He doesn't have much deep game, but his 20-30 yard accuracy is actually pretty great.

This throw alone is a great example, and might have been the best throw of the game. Fant screwed him here.

And other here. I really don't think this specific criticism of yours is apt.

hoxrox

Reaction score
He looks lost and scared out there. And seems to be afraid to throw it more than 15 yards. He's just not a good QB, period.

I think coaches saving the big plays downfield for later. Right now, during preseason, it's about getting your QB comfortable / more confident with the short / intermediate stuff, and establishing the run game.

Once they establish this, I suspect we will see some big passes off play action.

keasley45

Reaction score
His intermediate accuracy is one of his redeeming qualities. This much has always been clear with him.

He doesn't have much deep game, but his 20-30 yard accuracy is actually pretty great.

This throw alone is a great example, and might have been the best throw of the game. Fant screwed him here.

And other here. I really don't think this specific criticism of yours is apt.

Agreed. He didn't miss an intermediate that I can recall and those passes, and shoot z the ones he had last year at the same range... dimes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agree to disagree on Geno. He does absolutely nothing for me to get excited about as a QB. I hope to be very wrong, and will gladly look up a good crow recipe.
Geno and dimes in the same sentence. That's a reach. Imo.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think coaches saving the big plays downfield for later. Right now, during preseason, it's about getting your QB comfortable / more confident with the short / intermediate stuff, and establishing the run game.

Once they establish this, I suspect we will see some big passes off play action.

Yup. The short and intermediate stuff was the single biggest Achilles heal for our offense over the last several years. Defenses could blitz without fear because we had zero screen game with Russ and he needed to be back from the line / rushers to be able to see the field and make a clean read. We also didn't have much to throttle back to when the deep PA stopped working and Russ couldn't create. It's not pretty to watch for sure, but it's an element of our game that needs repetition. And... its not bad to put it on tape. This will be the most significant game data our first opponents will have. If they know we can run this stuff they have to defend it. And if they're defending the run and the short, intermediate and outlet stuff, the deep game will be available.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Agree to disagree on Geno. He does absolutely nothing for me to get excited about as a QB. I hope to be very wrong, and will gladly look up a good crow recipe.
Geno and dimes in the same sentence. That's a reach. Imo.
There is literal visual evidence of them directly above your post though

Sure, he's not great overall, but come on lol

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A couple highlights don't just magically make him a good QB. You could find a couple good highlights of just about any QB.
34 TD and 37 Picks in his career. Wow, amazing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If throwing a couple of dimes is the bar, then it's very low. I bet a few on here can throw dimes too. His decision making is subpar and he holds on to the ball too long. He basically ran into a sack (I've seen rookies over the weekend show more poise). Most NFL QBs can run up a high comp pct throwing 5-10 yard passes. Not a good showing if your competing for a QB1 job. Lucky for him Lock wasn't any better.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
i asked in another thread but what is the standard “you got a DUI“ game suspension he’s looking at? 1?
A June 08, 2022, 10:22 pm page from profootballtalk.nbcsports.com says,
"Smith could face NFL discipline — up to a three-game suspension without pay for a first offense DUI."
On the same page, Geno says it "will be worked out".

sc85sis

Reaction score
A June 08, 2022, 10:22 pm page from profootballtalk.nbcsports.com says,
"Smith could face NFL discipline — up to a three-game suspension without pay for a first offense DUI."
On the same page, Geno says it "will be worked out".
We might see both Geno and Lock start games even if Geno wins the competition.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
IDK Why we are having these convos. Geno isn't the long term answer. Everyone knows this. Whether he starts every game this season or not.
Hell, lets have Eason play the whole game tomorrow. What have we got to lose?