Do you consider 1 championship with Wilson a disappointment?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I always thought we should have instructed our DBs to tackle Falcons WRs in the area where it's a 5-yard holding 3 plays in a row, and then the clock runs out with Falcons not in FG range. Maybe that would be an interesting thread to get feedback on, would that have worked, or are there flaws that would make it fail, e.g., flag would be also thrown for Unsportsmanlike Conduct on each play this was done.
They would have had 1 play for a hail mary attempt as the game can't end on an offensive penalty. Hail Mary is much more unlikely than a field goal though.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I'm more disappointed that we only got one with that generational defense.

rcaido

Reaction score
Could have been 3 in a row or possible 4 but Pete & defense blew 2 of them. We have that one and forever remember it. Anytime we dont win it all was a disappoint but lets be real this was an amazing decade to be Seahawk fan. Now back to the dark ages.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We probably should have had 3 trips to the SB and 2 wins. Not because of Wilson but because of that roster strength. If we kept Unger and Tate, we win that Pats SB, and probably the next one.

But

When we went to the SB, it felt fair we should be a dynasty. Both because of the utter screwjob in our first SB, and because the Seahawks had been losers for so long.

Fast forward to today, we have been winning and considered a top tier NFL team, among the elite, (even though we were really a glorified wildcard team for at least half of those 10 years).

So we probably made up for the losing.

And if there are football gods, it probably would have been wrong to have Carroll beating Bill in a SB. Because the narrative would change. The Patriots would not have been considered one of the greatest dynasties in NFL history. Not even sure Brady would be looked at the same way. All of what Brady and Bill and the Patriots themselves as a legacy weirdly multiplied in that one moment. Wilson probably leaves earlier because of it. (He did say early on that he wanted to show he could do this in 2 places, right about the time he said he wanted to be an Owner someday)

not sure if it counts as a disappointment, but certainly a lost opportunity. Anyone honestly believe we wouldn't have stomped Denver again instead of the Panthers?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As some of already mentioned, winning a Super Bowl is profoundly difficult, hence all the incredible, Hall of Fame players to have never won a championship. Paging Dan Marino.

Was Wilson coddled too much? Sounds like it. Resentment built, perceived hypocrisy reigned and that was that with that. I will forever be happy we won a Super Bowl and in the most dominating fashion in this league to-date. Any additional Super Bowl championships I may be fortunate enough to witness before my exit off this planet will simply be gravy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yes. Russ threw it but Pete called it.

Grateful but, overall characterized as a disappointment.
Yep, IF Pete indeed "Called it", Wilson DID NOT EXECUTE, got picked off by a Rookie.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
As some of already mentioned, winning a Super Bowl is profoundly difficult, hence all the incredible, Hall of Fame players to have never even played in one let alone win one. Paging Dan Marino.

Dan Marino didn't win a Super Bowl, but he played in one. He started for the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX, after the 1984 season, and played the whole game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The ball had to be thrown to a spot which it was, the issue was 1.. the WR did not get there. 2. they knew the play. 3.no not low, your throwing over the middle about 3 yards, you throw low it gets tipped. FYI you cannot say for a fact if he throws it low it's Lockett or incomplete. Lockett never even made it to the spot, so low or not interception. The play should never have been called. you don't put your QB into a timing must-throw pattern when he is as mobile as Wilson. Also if you watched Lockett he was not expecting it low. nor have we thrown it low when we ran the play before. IT is a timing pattern meant to thrown in the chest. The problem was our WR never got there. Not to mention the 2 score lead the LOFB gave up in under 9 minutes.

Also, I am very sure when Hass through his INT in we ant the ball and are going to win the game you said it was the Wr. Well, guess what after the ball being stupid the next issue was WR, and then the supposed nudge on the CB that never happened because Browner knew the play and was bigger than Kearse.
Everybody's fault EXCEPT RW LOLOLOLOL, NOPE

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Dan Marino didn't win a Super Bowl, but he played in one. He started for the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX, after the 1984 season, and played the whole game.

I stand corrected. Edited my original post.

olyfan63

Reaction score
You'll all be a lot happier if you just let it go.

Sometimes, things just don't work out. SB49 was an example of things not working out. You can retrace every single step to assign blame, or you can come to the rational and adult conclusion that they just got beat and that there's a lot of responsibility to share for that.

No one would give a shit about the playcall had it worked, and it almost did. It's not like it's a terribly uncommon goal line play. It's not like it's low percentage. There's nothing unfathomable about it, other than just how far the ripple effect of the outcome spread.

I will say it again - sometimes in life, things just don't work out. And that's alright.
For most of us, I think we are simply reciting the lessons from the cruel loss in SB49 (not to mention SBXL). We hope that Pete & Co have also learned the lessons, though the likelihood of being in a similar position in the future is very small.

To me the rational and adult conclusion is to examine the factors that led to the failure at the 1. All signs point to 3 primary parties, for different reasons. Plus 3 bonus parties.

1) Darrell Bevell for a brain-dead play call for the situation. Not that it's a pass, but the other factors I listed in a post above, it was the WRONG pass call, worst possible, for the situation. Rainger added a point I failed to list, about Browner reading the play call, again on Bevell, for his predictability.

2) Russell Wilson, for flawed execution, and for not changing the play call at the line. I hold that Peyton, in a similar scenario, probably would not have changed that playcall, but with his height, would have seen Malcolm Butler lurking and would have either altered the throw placement or thrown to a different option. Russell had his opportunity to put his stamp on the game and failed spectacularly. I hold that this moment is the truth about Russell Wilson, one of the many truths about him, spotlighting glaring weaknesses that partially offset his many brilliant QB superpowers. However, IMO this failure is 95% on Bevell, and 5% on Russell. The knock on Russell is that he couldn't overcome Bevell's spectacular brain-deadness on this play, by checking out of this play or seeing the threat during execution. As Russell repeatedly said, "Trust the playcall". However, he was unable to discern that the playcall was inherently untrustworthy for this situation.

3) Pete Carroll, for making (an injured) Tharald "Toast" Simon active and leaving slot corner Marcus Burley out of the game as a healthy scratch. WTF was Carroll thinking? Did he really think Toast Simon could cover Amendola and Edelman? Notice that Pete has recently gotten over his singular obsession with tall, long-armed corners and brought smaller, quick, tough guys into the corner mix.

Bonus parties:
1) Brandon Browner, for recognizing the exact play, and putting Butler in the right position, and for stuffing Kearse's attempted pick/block on him.

2) Malcolm Butler, for following Browner's direction, and for breaking on and then HANGING ON TO THE BALL through contact. If he doesn't hold onto the ball, Hawks win it on the next play.

3) Bill Belichick (and NE DC, was it pencil-ear failed Lions coach?) for going "heavy" with the D in the game, daring the Hawks to pass instead of run. Essentially disrespecting Wilson's ability to complete a pass in heavy traffic in a compressed space.

I've long ago "let go" of the cruel, crushing disappointment of the moment, and instead tried to understand the factors that made this outcome nearly inevitable under the circumstances. I think that's where a lot of us are by now.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Edited my original post.

I remembered because my dad didn't understand why I was rooting so hard against the Dolphins and Marino starting days before the actual Super Bowl, given that we had kind of liked rooting for the Dolphins against the Patriots (we lived in Maine) in the '70s and early '80s.
I honestly don't remember why, but I suspect it had at least something to do with what the Dolphins had done in the divisional round:

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It was really Bevell’s choice but Pete, Russ, and Lockette wore it. Bevell blamed everyone else.
In the end it was this, and not the play itself, that fractured what had been built beyond repair. I think if Bevell gets canned after pointing every finger he could things would have been different. Instead the players saw the coaches weren't held to the same standard of accountability and competition they were being held to and shit got bad. At least that is my opinion on what happened.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
For most of us, I think we are simply reciting the lessons from the cruel loss in SB49 (not to mention SBXL). We hope that Pete & Co have also learned the lessons, though the likelihood of being in a similar position in the future is very small.

To me the rational and adult conclusion is to examine the factors that led to the failure at the 1. All signs point to 3 primary parties, for different reasons. Plus 3 bonus parties.

1) Darrell Bevell for a brain-dead play call for the situation. Not that it's a pass, but the other factors I listed in a post above, it was the WRONG pass call, worst possible, for the situation. Rainger added a point I failed to list, about Browner reading the play call, again on Bevell, for his predictability.

2) Russell Wilson, for flawed execution, and for not changing the play call at the line. I hold that Peyton, in a similar scenario, probably would not have changed that playcall, but with his height, would have seen Malcolm Butler lurking and would have either altered the throw placement or thrown to a different option. Russell had his opportunity to put his stamp on the game and failed spectacularly. I hold that this moment is the truth about Russell Wilson, one of the many truths about him, spotlighting glaring weaknesses that partially offset his many brilliant QB superpowers. However, IMO this failure is 95% on Bevell, and 5% on Russell. The knock on Russell is that he couldn't overcome Bevell's spectacular brain-deadness on this play, by checking out of this play or seeing the threat during execution. As Russell repeatedly said, "Trust the playcall". However, he was unable to discern that the playcall was inherently untrustworthy for this situation.

3) Pete Carroll, for making (an injured) Tharald "Toast" Simon active and leaving slot corner Marcus Burley out of the game as a healthy scratch. WTF was Carroll thinking? Did he really think Toast Simon could cover Amendola and Edelman? Notice that Pete has recently gotten over his singular obsession with tall, long-armed corners and brought smaller, quick, tough guys into the corner mix.

Bonus parties:
1) Brandon Browner, for recognizing the exact play, and putting Butler in the right position, and for stuffing Kearse's attempted pick/block on him.

2) Malcolm Butler, for following Browner's direction, and for breaking on and then HANGING ON TO THE BALL through contact. If he doesn't hold onto the ball, Hawks win it on the next play.

3) Bill Belichick (and NE DC, was it pencil-ear failed Lions coach?) for going "heavy" with the D in the game, daring the Hawks to pass instead of run. Essentially disrespecting Wilson's ability to complete a pass in heavy traffic in a compressed space.

I've long ago "let go" of the cruel, crushing disappointment of the moment, and instead tried to understand the factors that made this outcome nearly inevitable under the circumstances. I think that's where a lot of us are by now.
Don't forget to thank Edelman for playing with a concussion and the NFL for allowing him to.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Peyton Manning in Indy.

Drew Brees in New Orleans.

Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

Some of the greatest QB's in NFL history with long tenures on very good teams "only" won 1 Super Bowl with those teams.

What this tells me is that it's a hell of a lot harder to win championships than most fans realize or are willing to admit. Not only do you have to have a very good team, you also have to have a lot of things go your way.

It took damn near a miracle against Green Bay in the NFCCG for us to even get back to the Super Bowl the year after we won it all.

So no, I don't consider 1 championship with Wilson a disappointment. Quite the opposite actually. I feel like we are awfully fortunate to even have that 1.
Excellent breakdown of the facts.
Some here WANT to p*$$ and moan, that Pete Carroll screwed Russell Wilson & the Seahawks up, but don't want to give him any KUDO'S for having >successfully put that WINNING team together in the first place<, AND being RESPONSIBLE for bringing home the VERY FIRST LOMBARDI TO SEATTLE.
How can anyone with any integrity not consider that a great accomplishment.
Wanted more? I'm betting that Indy, Green Bay & New Orleans with their TOP TIER QUARTERBACKS wanted more than the ONE SB win, eh?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I got a lot of joy from our SB win. Enough that I wanted other cities to experience it.

One wish was to see Cleveland win one. Just because they were in the basement for so long.

So not winning the 2nd or 3rd was not the end of the world.
The reason I was upset is it seemed both a missed opportunity and almost an obvious sign this team was going to go all in Wilson, instead of trying to focus on the LOB and Lynch (our soul of the team at that time). We would have only had 1-2 years more before we had to give Wilson the keys, but it felt better to do it that way.

We didn't, and the rest is history.

But my frustration wasn't another SB. I just wanted to see us in tight-fought battles in the Division and Conference playoff games. We didn't even get that again.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Excellent breakdown of the facts.
Some here WANT to p*$$ and moan, that Pete Carroll screwed Russell Wilson & the Seahawks up, but don't want to give him any KUDO'S for having >successfully put that WINNING team together in the first place<, AND being RESPONSIBLE for bringing home the VERY FIRST LOMBARDI TO SEATTLE.
How can anyone with any integrity not consider that a great accomplishment.
Wanted more? I'm betting that Indy, Green Bay & New Orleans with their TOP TIER QUARTERBACKS wanted more than the ONE SB win, eh?
Not winning titles is not the issue. The lost opportunity due to idiocy and hubris is.

toffee

Reaction score
The reason I was upset is it seemed both a missed opportunity and almost an obvious sign this team was going to go all in Wilson, instead of trying to focus on the LOB and Lynch (our soul of the team at that time). We would have only had 1-2 years more before we had to give Wilson the keys, but it felt better to do it thatway.

We didn't, and the rest is history.

I felt exactly the same way.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Got one, that's more than most teams can say the last ten years. If I never have to hear about who is to blame for the SB loss, I'd be a happy camper. At the end of the say, who cares...it's an L.

Now it's a new era, time to leave the Russhawks in the past.. On to the next one!