Do you consider 1 championship with Wilson a disappointment?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Not winning titles is not the issue. The lost opportunity due to idiocy and hubris is.
Yeah, this is my issue with Carroll. He brought us to unprecedented heights, but I always feel as if his game management skills and the coaching staff he surrounded himself with were subpar. In addition to that, we made a lot of questionable roster decisions since 2013. The Jimmy Graham and Jamal Adams trade stand out in particular. Great players that were pigeon holed into roles that didn't fit their skillsets.

In addition to this, Carroll seems to surround himself by subpar coaching talents on a regular basis. Bevell, KJ Norton, Schottenheimer, Cable, etc, etc. Bevell should have been canned after his statement on "the play". The way he handled the fallout was a disaster.

There definitely was a lot of opportunity lost due to poor decisions on the part of Carroll.

JPatera76

Reaction score
i may be the odd man out.. but at least our most recent SB loss was ... due to our own ineptitude. I can live with that and move on.. as for our first sb loss.. its a scar that will never go away and altered my perspective of the NFL permanently causing me to look for the "whos the cinderella story" this year each season. And then my friends and I bet who will go to the SB... and im batting about 80% in who i pick because I look for that "cinderella" like story. Our SB win, #1 DEF VS #1 OFF, our 1st loss against Pittsburg in Detroit.. Bettis's hometown and he happens to retiring. Saints, Hurricane Katrina, Panthers and Denver.. Payton to go out a 2 time champ.Bucs can brady succedd without Bilicheck?!.. Brady and the bucs won it.. Rams, Stafford redemption and Rams getting established in LA while the NFL ignored things like a certain Defensive player who goes the old Suh route when he gets beat and starts Choking olinemen or grabbing facemasks and 9 times out of 10 refs "dont see it". (AD) Sea vs Patriots ... We had a chance to become the next big dawgs, but Bevell, Pete and Russ had other things in mind (so they were the outlier) otherwise if ya hand lynch the ball, a new dynasty was born. Now granted each team you could probably find a form of some cinderella story but the question then is to ask yourself, which ones going to draw more interest publicly and financially. then you can narrow them down. Example this year.. Dont be surprised if Denver finds success... they just had that sale of thier team, new coaches and the media darling and coveted Russell is now at the helm. I havent look around the league much this though to sift through others as this years team while we may or ma ynot do great and experience growing pains has had me extremely excited.

So now I just watch to watch, i get pissed (more when i got a god buzz lol) but I know just as everyone else 1 its "entertainment", 2 nothings changing anytime soon.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It was really Bevell’s choice but Pete, Russ, and Lockette wore it. Bevell blamed everyone else.
Pete especially. He’s the one everyone calls out with the “they should have run it” and “worst call in history” comments.

Russ said God told him he was using him.

Bevell basically tossed Lockette under the bus.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, this is my issue with Carroll. He brought us to unprecedented heights, but I always feel as if his game management skills and the coaching staff he surrounded himself with were subpar. In addition to that, we made a lot of questionable roster decisions since 2013. The Jimmy Graham and Jamal Adams trade stand out in particular. Great players that were pigeon holed into roles that didn't fit their skillsets.

In addition to this, Carroll seems to surround himself by subpar coaching talents on a regular basis. Bevell, KJ Norton, Schottenheimer, Cable, etc, etc. Bevell should have been canned after his statement on "the play". The way he handled the fallout was a disaster.

There definitely was a lot of opportunity lost due to poor decisions on the part of Carroll.
Only ONE SB win for these tier ONE Quarterbacks...Y'all must think that Peyton screwed up Breese, that McCarthy did the same to Rodgers too eh?, I mean Manning with only ONE SB Win with Indy, what the hell was his HC thinking?
You Pete Haters are UNREALISTIC.
Those that can do, DO, & those who CAN'T... Complain about the ones that DID.

JPatera76

Reaction score

Carroll's biggest downfall is his loyalty to players and coaches. While its a good thing too much is a bad thing. The loyalty to wilson, bevell, and other coaches.. even recently his loyalty to geno its a hamstring if locks preforming bettr in camp than why isn't he with the ones to see how he does there. instead Pete has kept it.. Geno with the 1's and Lock witht he 2's .. thats not a competition.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Only ONE SB win for these tier ONE Quarterbacks...Y'all must think that Peyton screwed up Breese, that McCarthy did the same to Rodgers too eh?, I mean Manning with only ONE SB Win with Indy, what the hell was his HC thinking?
You Pete Haters are UNREALISTIC.
Those that can do, DO, & those who CAN'T... Complain about the ones that DID.
It's not Wilson, it's the roster that Pete constructed, which to his credit is something only he was able to do with his prospective coming into the NFL. Those Green bay, New Orleans and Indy teams weren't nearly the teams that the Seahawks were. The roster we constructed was historically dominant in many different respects. Considering how long this unit was together and how long it took the NFL to finally crack Carroll's system -- i'd say our results were tepid considering what Carroll built.

A series of really perplexing decisions and player management tore it all down.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Can we get a shoutout one more time for Oly on the issue with Burley?
Few bring it up but if Burley is on the field, we never give up that 10-point lead.

The Play was such a publicized event that the moronic decision not to play him isn't brought up very often.

Even more puzzling because I am almost positive that Simon was still recovering from an injury when the decision was made.

If we had Marcus, Carroll is never mocked on gameday every SB for the stupidest decision in SB history. It was as close to pivotal before the game as I can imagine, because didn't we lose to the Lions that year before we got him from the Colts?

It is rarely brought up but Carroll not deciding to keep Browner and not deciding to play Marcus basically lost the game before it started.

Chapow

Reaction score
are you sure Russell Wilson is in the same club with Manning, Brees and Rodgers?

Are you sure my point had anything whatsoever to do with whether or not Wilson is in the same club with Manning, Brees, and Rodgers?

Here's a hint... it didn't.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Few bring it up but if Burley is on the field, we never give up that 10-point lead.

The Play was such a publicized event that the moronic decision not to play him isn't brought up very often.

Even more puzzling because I am almost positive that Simon was still recovering from an injury when the decision was made.

If we had Marcus, Carroll is never mocked on gameday every SB for the stupidest decision in SB history. It was as close to pivotal before the game as I can imagine, because didn't we lose to the Lions that year before we got him from the Colts?

It is rarely brought up but Carroll not deciding to keep Browner and not deciding to play Marcus basically lost the game before it started.
I am still baffled about a healthy (AFAIK), capable Marcus Burley being left off the actives list for SB49. Is there some other factor I don't know about? It's just SO BAFFLING, and hard to imagine what Pete was thinking. Simon was, as I understand, nursing a separated shoulder injury.

(Jeremy Lane going down with an injury) "would turn out to be an injury that had a devastating effect on the Seahawks in their 28-24 loss to New England.

The Patriots immediately went after Lane’s replacement, Tharold Simon, and beat him again and again and again. Three of Tom Brady’s touchdowns were thrown to receivers that were being defended by Simon – to Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski."

Anybody know why the frack Carroll made an injured Simon active and Burley a healthy scratch? What could Carroll's thought process have possibly been? Burley's not going to stop every completion, but he'd at least be close enough to prevent some from even being thrown and maybe make a play on a couple, potentially stopping a Pats drive or two.

Good point about if Carroll had kept Browner as a Seahawk in 2014--we might instead be talking about whether we consider 2 championships a disappointment!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It's not Wilson, it's the roster that Pete constructed, which to his credit is something only he was able to do with his prospective coming into the NFL. Those Green bay, New Orleans and Indy teams weren't nearly the teams that the Seahawks were. The roster we constructed was historically dominant in many different respects. Considering how long this unit was together and how long it took the NFL to finally crack Carroll's system -- i'd say our results were tepid considering what Carroll built.

A series of really perplexing decisions and player management tore it all down.
Good Lord, is that Violins I hear in the background?
Y'all can speculate the livin' shit out of how crap went down, BUT IF Wilson IS INDEED a top 5 Quarterback, and PLAYING the game HIS OWN WAY over the last few years, then a BIG PART OF HIS FAILURES REST SQUARELY ON HIM ALSO, things like holding onto the damned ball for too long, NOT taking layup shots THAT WERE T-H-E-R-E for the taking....Squawk all you want, but the tail goes with the hide.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep Oly.

It was even more confusing considering that teams with good slot receivers raced us that year. Remember getting beat by the Lions?
I think that is the reason we GOT Burley.

Everyone knew half our secondary was injured from the GB game.
Why we wouldn't use Burley but instead go with guys that were from 30-70% effective and in some cases, not just nursing injuries but rookies??
No idea

But it was a dumb idea. Always bothered me. NOBODY brings it up.
It got lost in the 'Play' but probably might even have been more responsible for our loss.

Burley was one of the things that fixed a big issue with the team. You could argue getting him was a key reason we made the SB. Before him, that was a giant weakness for us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Are you sure my point had anything whatsoever to do with whether or not Wilson is in the same club with Manning, Brees, and Rodgers?

Here's a hint... it didn't.
Are you asserting that Wilson isn't a 'Common Denominator' in THIS discussion?

scutterhawk

Reaction score

That's a FALSE premise, >WE DON'T KNOW WHY Burley was a scratch for that game<, or even IF he'd played, that Brady wouldn't still have closed the gap, AND THAT'S AN ABSOLUTE FACT!
Lots of Speculations 'AFTER THE FACTS'
There's a reason that Brady is considered the >>UNDISPUTIBLE G-O-A-T Quarterback<<

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Burley was our best slot receiver. Again, we lost to the Lions that year.
Slot receivers were an issue all year, leading to the pickup. Afterwards, with Burley, they weren't.

What were the Patriots? A team that primarily used RBs and slot receivers as their passing threats.

We got him from the Colts to patch that hole.

Even if he wasn't perfect, no matter how effective you think he would have been, do you honestly believe he would have been less effective than Simon???

Remember, we lost on a last-second play at the goal line in a tight game. Even with everything Simon didn't do to prevent the Patriots from passing or scoring.

You don't think that losing that 10-point lead had anything to do with that? Or that the depleted secondary was a key contributor to losing that lead?

With Burley we win that.
With Browner we probably win it.
Hell with Tate and Unger, we probably win that one and then next one.
Carroll's monumentally stupid decision about Burley was almost as bad as the GL decision. Because Burley was healthy, at least according to him later.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Hes only one piece to a puzzle needed to win it all but given he was the best seahawk qb of all time do you consider only one championship a disappointment? We all know it should have been 2 but after that they didn't even get close...
An abysmal failure we should’ve had 3 but bad luck & bad decisions by everyone including Wilson messed it up. When we lost Kam right after paying him it was over!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
I wanna puke thinking about it Everybody did so many things wrong I cant list them all. But I like where we are today building a new dynasty is our strength & our weakness is that we will screw up the dynasty

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Disappointed because of how the back to back didn't happen. That would have put this team in the same conversation as every other back to back champions.
I agree with the point above about how so many elite QBs only have 1. I think Brady's success has ruined it for everyone. Everyone wants multiple championship like he has done and his career is such an outlier.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Disappointed because of how the back to back didn't happen. That would have put this team in the same conversation as every other back to back champions.
I agree with the point above about how so many elite QBs only have 1. I think Brady's success has ruined it for everyone. Everyone wants multiple championship like he has done and his career is such an outlier.

Stafford delivered ONE before he was supposed to: his first year.

To correlate the topic to me (smile) - wil I be disappointed if Stafford and McVay only deliver one ring?

Yes.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The back to back is up NOW.

I don't need a back to back (as god damn fun as that would be) - but yeah, I do expect a second ring from this group on this team.