DK - interesting. Extend him!

rcaido

Reaction score
It appears you can get disgruntled WRs cheap for a year when they are not happy. Sadly i think DK is going to be one of those Diva WR, not like a Fitzgerald or Locket. I cant trust giving him an extension when there are other better value you can get by trading him. You pay him and he will have even more leverage, not going to chance it.

Doesn't look good for Kamara but we can still probably can sign Penny/Gordon/Fournette & passrusher like Chandler Jones. Wilson makes players like Moore, Richardson, &Kearse have starting jobs. Elite receivers are not necessary in the 20+million salary as Wilson QB.

I think Adams can still work out but definitely need to get rid of Bobby this offseason if he doesn't want to rework his contract.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Fade":1a9nldsh said:
KinesProf":1a9nldsh said:
Fade":1a9nldsh said:
ImTheScientist":1a9nldsh said:
Great point! We could save the money and sign 4 Kerry Hyder's. Excited for JS to think thats the path forward.

Aim a bit higher. Like Terron Armstead, Brandon Scherff, Brian Allen, Chandler Jones, etc.

The game is won and lost in the trenches.

It's much easier to find a WR in the draft for this organization than it is for them to find high end OL talent and top flight pass rushers.

The Seahawks roster is very imbalanced as a whole with most of the draft capital and $$$ going to LBers, Safeties, and if DK got paid, WR.

The Seahawks need to start shifting resources to the D-Line & O-Line or they will continue to stay the same at best or in all likelihood get worse.

Cut/Trade Wagner, Trade DK a year from now, move on from Jamal Adams when it financially makes sense (not this year), and reload with studs upfront, not stopgap JAGs as they've been doing for years now, and become a dominant team again.

That's nice in theory. But if you trade DK it is essentially for lottery picks. Do you trust this front office to successfully turn those picks into "studs upfront"?

NO. I trust them to draft WRs. I'd be going after the top free agent OL & DL in Free Agency with the freed up money.

I'm not opposed to investing in the trenches, by any means. But parting with excellent home grown players in order to chase, and buy high on , players who just spent their prime elsewhere is objectively bad process.

I'm not opposed to investing in Armstead (age 31 season coming up) , Scherff (age 30 season coming up), and Jones (age 32 season coming up). But moving on from a 24 year old star WR who is the greatest WR in franchise history through 3 seasons in order to facilitate such moves is short sighted and goofy; especially when the organization has a rumoured strained relationship with their star QB who excels with the deep ball.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Fade":ivw7kff5 said:
ddores":ivw7kff5 said:
Fade":ivw7kff5 said:
DK is looking at getting 25-30M APY.

The smart move would be to play out his rookie deal, franchise tag & trade.

They need to invest in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I'd be curious to see what you think about the DK/Lockett/Russ thing. You think they're a package? 'cause you can't tag all of 'em -

Just wondering - I totally agree that DK only, that's the hardass way to play it - but what if you want to keep the whole band together?

Other than that - if I was dealing with an 'individual' - totally how I would consider going.

Their contracts expire in different seasons, so their is no worries about having to tag them all. I don't think they are a package either, it's a business.

Keeping them all together at the prices they command is the problem. Paying them all is approx. $80M APY. Taking up 40% of the cap with 3 players that are part of the passing game on a running team… It makes no sense.

The Logic is:

Lockett is already paid at much less than what DK will get, and Wilson is more comfortable with him anyway.

DK is a freak athlete, but relies more on athleticism to win, struggles to catch the ball outside of his frame and in contested situations, was injury prone in college, played with an injury all last season, I don't trust he will stay healthy once he gets paid. His agent will be asking for top dollar, which right now is $27M APY {Hopkins}, and will be surpassed by Davante Adams, who I am sure will be looking for $30M APY.

If DK was Randy Moss I would say pay him, but he isn't. And in 3 years I haven't seen the development as a WR that would project he will ever be on that level. He is what he is at this point.

Trade him in a season, reload upfront with $25M+ additional APY to work with, use the picks to get moar WRs.

You make some good points. Wilson definately is more comfortable with Lockett from what i/we have seen.

And, you're right. I haven't seen the development either. I've seen the sulking develop, but that's about it.

I like your plan. My plan was a bit homery - which in all honestly, i'm not super DK homery.

From my view, Wilson and Lockett are definately the stronger of the combination - even from just a mental standpoint.

And - I agree with what you posted. There's a big part of me that does NOT trust that a PAID DK would be a HEALTHY DK. Just something in the back of my head ;)

kf3339

Reaction score
ddores":2oe155n4 said:
Fade":2oe155n4 said:
ddores":2oe155n4 said:
Fade":2oe155n4 said:

I'd be curious to see what you think about the DK/Lockett/Russ thing. You think they're a package? 'cause you can't tag all of 'em -

Just wondering - I totally agree that DK only, that's the hardass way to play it - but what if you want to keep the whole band together?

Other than that - if I was dealing with an 'individual' - totally how I would consider going.

Their contracts expire in different seasons, so their is no worries about having to tag them all. I don't think they are a package either, it's a business.

Keeping them all together at the prices they command is the problem. Paying them all is approx. $80M APY. Taking up 40% of the cap with 3 players that are part of the passing game on a running team… It makes no sense.

The Logic is:

Lockett is already paid at much less than what DK will get, and Wilson is more comfortable with him anyway.

DK is a freak athlete, but relies more on athleticism to win, struggles to catch the ball outside of his frame and in contested situations, was injury prone in college, played with an injury all last season, I don't trust he will stay healthy once he gets paid. His agent will be asking for top dollar, which right now is $27M APY {Hopkins}, and will be surpassed by Davante Adams, who I am sure will be looking for $30M APY.

This is where I'm at as well. You just have to really ask the questions how he will act after a major contract extention. He does seem to have a diva attitude and sense of entitlement with his actions. That isn't a good thing for a football team that values a positive and team oriented philosophy.

Do I want him traded? No. But would I want some type of contract guarantees written to make it clear what actions could cause him to lose money, including any player bonuses and financial guarantees. I don't know if that is possible with the NFL labor contract. But, if they couldn't get a very specific written contract to protect the team, then I would trade him to the highest bidder this off-season.

I'm not wanting to lose DK, but also not wanting another WR diva like Percy Harvin on this team. Let some other team deal with those issues. Just not us.

If DK was Randy Moss I would say pay him, but he isn't. And in 3 years I haven't seen the development as a WR that would project he will ever be on that level. He is what he is at this point.

Trade him in a season, reload upfront with $25M+ additional APY to work with, use the picks to get moar WRs.

You make some good points. Wilson definately is more comfortable with Lockett from what i/we have seen.

And, you're right. I haven't seen the development either. I've seen the sulking develop, but that's about it.

I like your plan. My plan was a bit homery - which in all honestly, i'm not super DK homery.

From my view, Wilson and Lockett are definately the stronger of the combination - even from just a mental standpoint.

And - I agree with what you posted. There's a big part of me that does NOT trust that a PAID DK would be a HEALTHY DK. Just something in the back of my head ;)

Atradees

Reaction score
Ugg. One has to build from the inside out. Is wideout important if you have russell wilson? Not 40 million dollas worth.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm speculating that the team will be announcing a contract extension for DK before the start of training camp (in less than two weeks).

It just makes perfect sense, so his impending extension doesn't become a distraction during TC.

If they were going to trade him, they would have done that before the draft.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Are you going to pay him 20M+ per year?

Front line starting WR money is no joke.
That’s the going rate. I guess we can hope and pray to win with budget QBs and WRs. But all that will get us is in the cellar.

sc85sis

Reaction score
They'll sign DK to an extension. He's got physical traits that you don't find every day.

Tyler may not get extended again unless he takes a hometown discount, however. They'll keep looking to draft youngsters.

SeargentJ2/82

Reaction score
That’s the going rate. I guess we can hope and pray to win with budget QBs and WRs. But all that will get us is in the cellar.
100% agree, I don't get this notion that we shouldn't pay anyone. Talent cost $, or do we just trot out Bargain Bin players and hope they work out. Tired of this team and some of there uneducated fans always talking about cost of players. Seattle waits to long to pay players, and the price just keeps going up.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yes, you pay DK.

if you don’t pay DK and you let him walk, receiver will be one more area of need for Seattle cause Lockett cannot be your only proven receiver. And Lockett isn’t going to play that much longer. The cash cap opened up with Wilson not here so you make the most out of the situation by paying DK.

As far as the best players on the team are, you need to retain your new core group of players cause why build a team and try to draft core players if your intentions aren’t to keep talent?

Pay him now!

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yes, you pay DK.

if you don’t pay DK and you let him walk, receiver will be one more area of need for Seattle cause Lockett cannot be your only proven receiver. And Lockett isn’t going to play that much longer. The cash cap opened up with Wilson not here so you make the most out of the situation by paying DK.

As far as the best players on the team are, you need to retain your new core group of players cause why build a team and try to draft core players if your intentions aren’t to keep talent?

Pay him now!
I agree with this ^^^

chrispy

Reaction score
The crazy WR contracts this offseason have probably thrown a lot of Cap models. ...and the voidable/opt-out/deadmoney options are going to be tough to incorporate moving forward: how does all that fit in franchise tag calculation?

The WR franchise tag this year is 18M. Using the current top 5 WRs, next year it'll be about 25M: about a 35% increase so far. DK is going to get over 25M: either with an extension or on the franchise tag next year. Seahawks would save 20M in Cap if they wait (DK's rookie deal is about 4.5M/yr), but he'll be tough to work with all season. Additionally, DK's numbers will probably fall off catching G-Lock balls instead of RW3. So... is DK harder to manage underpaid on his rookie deal or as a top 5 WR but not getting the ball as much?

It seems like the right thing to do is get a commitment from him that he'll be on his best behavior (and help G-Lock however he can) and pay him a front loaded contract now while we have a little space. That's what I expect that from JS.

Then you ask: Is DK worth 35% more than Tyler?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The crazy WR contracts this offseason have probably thrown a lot of Cap models. ...and the voidable/opt-out/deadmoney options are going to be tough to incorporate moving forward: how does all that fit in franchise tag calculation?

The WR franchise tag this year is 18M. Using the current top 5 WRs, next year it'll be about 25M: about a 35% increase so far. DK is going to get over 25M: either with an extension or on the franchise tag next year. Seahawks would save 20M in Cap if they wait (DK's rookie deal is about 4.5M/yr), but he'll be tough to work with all season. Additionally, DK's numbers will probably fall off catching G-Lock balls instead of RW3. So... is DK harder to manage underpaid on his rookie deal or as a top 5 WR but not getting the ball as much?

It seems like the right thing to do is get a commitment from him that he'll be on his best behavior (and help G-Lock however he can) and pay him a front loaded contract now while we have a little space. That's what I expect that from JS.

Then you ask: Is DK worth 35% more than Tyler?
Yes, DK, is worth more than Tyler.

Tyler’s best days will not be often as DK’s.

Tyler will hit his peak soon or have already peaked.

DK is still young and ascending.

DK will be the better player perhaps even starting this year and next year and the year after that.

That’s enough reason to pay DK more than Tyler.

Besides, DK, commands double teams with Defensive Coordinators planning for DK and Lockett isn’t as a game changer as DK is.

Tell me, if you are a corner, who do you fear more one on one? DK or Lockett?

DK right now is worth more than Lockett.

SeargentJ2/82

Reaction score
Yes, DK, is worth more than Tyler.

Tyler’s best days will not be often as DK’s.

Tyler will hit his peak soon or have already peaked.

DK is still young and ascending.

DK will be the better player perhaps even starting this year and next year and the year after that.

That’s enough reason to pay DK more than Tyler.

Besides, DK, commands double teams with Defensive Coordinators planning for DK and Lockett isn’t as a game changer as DK is.

Tell me, if you are a corner, who do you fear more one on one? DK or Lockett?

DK right now is worth more than Lockett.
I 100% agree with this, I love Tyler Lockett but he is 5 or 6 years older. DK is the future and he needs to be here so whatever QB we have has more options than just Tyler Lockett.

SNDavidson

Reaction score

This is most likely what happens, most realistic for both sides.

*edit, just a thought, if they get a haul for DK they recoup a little bit from the dude who flipped his quad and never played a snap..

JPatera76

Reaction score
This is most likely what happens, most realistic for both sides.

*edit, just a thought, if they get a haul for DK they recoup a little bit from the dude who flipped his quad and never played a snap..
technically McDowell did play a snap.. just never for the Seahawks..
he played for the browns and played like trash... and then this last January his dumb ass got arrested and the browns didn't tender him. The dude just can't stay out of trouble legally.. and afaik most his incidents and run ins seem to be alcohol related, very sad

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When Wags and Brown both basically "held in" at camp, not many seemed to care much about it. When DK does it, people are going to flip. Better go stock up on popcorn.

Latest posts