Damien Lewis as starting C

toffee

Reaction score
Phil Haynes is only 26 years old. He finished last season with a terrific game blocking for Rashaad Penny. Haynes and Penny spent some time together working on their rehabs. Haynes has been thru two successful surgeries and rehabs. This is his prove it year. I expect Haynes to compete for a starting spot.

With regards to Damien Lewis, I am in the minority in that I didn't buy into the right side / left side narrative. I think it had more to do with neglecting movement and agility drills in favor of building power during the 2020 off season. He probably needs to be flanked by good movement teammates. The center position is a spot some defenses often leave uncovered when facing less agile centers. There is really no place to hide insufficient quickness.

I would think both Gabe Jackson and Damien Lewis are emphasizing agility drills to upgrade their fit with this years o-line changes. With youngsters at the tackle spots, line play would benefit from having veterans along side of linemen looking to establish themselves.
I am a bit concerned with our "mauler" guards switching to zone blocking, as you said new emphasis on agility. Hope it will work out.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Right Guard and Center are the two Oline positions that concern me the most. I would like to see us move on from Gabe Jackson but his 2022 salary of $6M was guaranteed back on Feb. 10th. And Center is a big unknown for me.

Perhaps the rumor (?) of moving Lewis to Center is to develop him as a backup as a hedge to cut Kyle Fuller. If so, that's okay with me.

My preference is to move Damien Lewis back to RG, Austin Blythe starts at Center, and either Phil Haynes, Dakoda Shepley or someone else starts at Left Guard. Perhaps we can pick up a veteran Left Guard by trade or otherwise during TC. And trading away Gabe Jackson might be a possibility as long as I was dreaming.

I really wanted us to pick up Cam Jurgens in the draft but doing so would have been at the expense of drafting either Boye Mafe or Ken Walker there

Lewis also played some center at LSU, didn't he?
He said in a interview that the last time he played C was in middle school but didnt snap the ball.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I'd like the Seahawks staff to quit tinkering with Lewis at different positions. Let him get used to one role.

On the other, he did play well at Center when Pocic was hurt in 2020. I think he's may be potentially better than Blythe and definitely is an upgrade over Fuller. So I'd like to see an OL of Cross - Haynes/Gilmore/Blythe - Lewis - Jackson - Lucas. Maybe test it out in preseason.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I think we acquired Blythe from KC to be our starting center. Let’s leave Lewis at guard and let our tackles be Cross and Lucas.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I'd like the Seahawks staff to quit tinkering with Lewis at different positions. Let him get used to one role.

On the other, he did play well at Center when Pocic was hurt in 2020. I think he's may be potentially better than Blythe and definitely is an upgrade over Fuller. So I'd like to see an OL of Cross - Haynes/Gilmore/Blythe - Lewis - Jackson - Lucas. Maybe test it out in preseason.
I give Lewis credit for stepping up an emergency C but

I give him credit Damien stepping in as a emergency C on 3 days notice but he ll need more than just one game to prove if he is even starter worthy. I agree we shouldnt move him again which will stunt his development as a player and i get it that the team wants him to be versatile but some players were meant to stay at one position. Plus hes what almost 330 lbs. I cant recall any player at that weight playing C and moving into this new scheme would require offensive linemen to be more agile and athletic. But we will see what magic Dickerson can pull off.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
I think we acquired Blythe from KC to be our starting center. Let’s leave Lewis at guard and let our tackles be Cross and Lucas.
I was thinking that too cause what would bethe point of signing Blythe then. To be just a mentor? I mean that transition from guard to C isnt that simple. I would like them to move Lewis back at his natural spot. He could ve been a pro bowler by now i think if it werent for the move. I mean Pete always said he wanted to get the best out of his players.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If they don't put him back at right guard where he was beginning to excel in 2020 I'm going to be beyond pissed. Moving one of the roster's few, young bright spots in favor of an ageing/declining veteran was a miraculously short-sighted move.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Seems to me it's quite possible that Lewis himself is encouraging the move. The more roles on the o line you are capable of the better your chances to be in the league a long time.