Damien Lewis as starting C

Dj206

Reaction score
Aside from injuries, Would somebody please explain and give legitimate reason why someone would suggest starting Damien Lewis at C when we already have Austin Blythe who is already familiar w/ Waldron playcalling and Dickerson's coaching.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
If I could "LIKE "your reply 50 more times I would. 👍

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Aside from injuries, Would somebody please explain and give legitimate reason why someone would suggest starting Damien Lewis at C when we already have Austin Blythe who is already familiar w/ Waldron playcalling and Dickerson's coaching.
Most of it stems from how he played genuinely well as an emergency center with no experience against (If I remember correctly) Arizona as a rookie.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Lewis also played some center at LSU, didn't he?
I remember in a interview when he got assigned as the emergency C before the Arizona game, he said played that position before but never snapped the ball but told Pete hes down to play any position on the O Line.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Most of it stems from how he played genuinely well as an emergency center with no experience against (If I remember correctly) Arizona as a rookie.
You are correct. Im just baffled. I mean we ve already moved him once already, wouldnt moving him again would affect his growth as player?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You are correct. Im just baffled. I mean we ve already moved him once already, wouldnt moving him again would affect his growth as player?
Yeah, I get that viewpoint. I'm not personally advocating for the move, but at least if they move him (no indication that they're even thinking about him at C), it's because he showed real promise in a real game rather than a mindless shuffle.

I was fine with them moving him this past time, though. He's young and they wanted to accommodate an established starter in Jackson. Made decent sense at the time. Jackson's been a disappointment, though. Unfortunate.

Smellyman

Reaction score
The only way it makes sense is if they think 1) he'd be pretty dang good there. He definitely has the body type. 3) if they think Curhan can be a stud at G which I believe they like him at more than T

toffee

Reaction score
If Lewis couldn't improve his pass blocking and couldn't excel in zone run blocking, his move to Center may be the only path??

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Or move him back to the position where he showed promise.

Reactions: PNW

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s adamant, the offensive line was held captive by some injuries and Wilson’s preference for hero ball with Waldron and Dickerson having to not only navigate their ship through that drama but do so through Mike Solari.

Now that Dickerson and Waldron have full control I think everyone will be on the same page and the best five looks to be with Blythe at center.

But I’m am also hopeful Shamarious Gilmore (6’3, 300 )will compete at OC who profiles as a stouter, lengthier Blythe and possibly be a dark horse for future starter.

If not the OC free agent market for 2023 looks solid.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Im w/ you on Gilmore. Hes my sleeper pick on the line. It could be a great seeing him battle it out w/ Jackson and Haynes. Good durability as well.

I like Blythe cause he is seasoned, very technical, understands leverage thanks to his wrestling background and good w his hands.

Also hes been around other good offensive lines before coming here and could provide the leadership and make his teammates around him better.

Spohawks

Reaction score
This is going to be a super young OL! I think its better then last years though. Yeah, Austin Blythe has some great tape of him online and he should be the center. Fast, aggressive and can get to the 2nd level quick...he is always moving his feet.

Its been awhile but the Hawks will have a 1000 yard rusher in Walker this year!

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
This is going to be a super young OL! I think its better then last years though. Yeah, Austin Blythe has some great tape of him online and he should be the center. Fast, aggressive and can get to the 2nd level quick...he is always moving his feet.

Its been awhile but the Hawks will have a 1000 yard rusher in Walker this year!
Also Blythe is 100% healthy and fresh since he backed up Creed last yr and is also smart.

I hope Waldron and Dickerson are successful coaching these guys up especially Dickerson since its his first yr as O Line coach.

As for Walker, thats a bold prediction.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Right Guard and Center are the two Oline positions that concern me the most. I would like to see us move on from Gabe Jackson but his 2022 salary of $6M was guaranteed back on Feb. 10th. And Center is a big unknown for me.

Perhaps the rumor (?) of moving Lewis to Center is to develop him as a backup as a hedge to cut Kyle Fuller. If so, that's okay with me.

My preference is to move Damien Lewis back to RG, Austin Blythe starts at Center, and either Phil Haynes, Dakoda Shepley or someone else starts at Left Guard. Perhaps we can pick up a veteran Left Guard by trade or otherwise during TC. And trading away Gabe Jackson might be a possibility as long as I was dreaming.

I really wanted us to pick up Cam Jurgens in the draft but doing so would have been at the expense of drafting either Boye Mafe or Ken Walker III.

toffee

Reaction score
Haynes did alright last season, but he has durability issue? He has been injured a lot.

Jville

Reaction score
Phil Haynes is only 26 years old. He finished last season with a terrific game blocking for Rashaad Penny. Haynes and Penny spent some time together working on their rehabs. Haynes has been thru two successful surgeries and rehabs. This is his prove it year. I expect Haynes to compete for a starting spot.

With regards to Damien Lewis, I am in the minority in that I didn't buy into the right side / left side narrative. I think it had more to do with neglecting movement and agility drills in favor of building power during the 2020 off season. He probably needs to be flanked by good movement teammates. The center position is a spot some defenses often leave uncovered when facing less agile centers. There is really no place to hide insufficient quickness.

I would think both Gabe Jackson and Damien Lewis are emphasizing agility drills to upgrade their fit with this years o-line changes. With youngsters at the tackle spots, line play would benefit from having veterans along side of linemen looking to establish themselves.

OP
OP
D

Dj206

Reaction score
Haynes did alright last season, but he has durability issue? He has been injured a lot.
His durability remains a question and he needs more reps. Like someone said, its a prove it yr for him.