Chris Collinsworth - Russell Wilson is the MVP

bigskydoc

Reaction score
[youtube]kb8oG3rK-Dc[/youtube]

Collinsworth and McGines make a great case for Wilson being the true MVP.

Collinsworth
He controls the offense, and is why everyone around him has success. He makes the offense work. From the poorly graded line, to the running game, to the deep and intermediate passing game. It all works because of Wilson.

Willie McGines
He is the guy you want with a minute to go, need to go 70 yards to win game, who do you trust most?

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Maybe the national media is ready to give him the recognition for what he has consistently done for so long.

Please don't let this thread degenerate into another Wilson pro/con discussion.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
There will be some reasoned arguments for Wilson despite Lamar’s gaudy and new era performance this year. Another I would make is to look at the Pro Bowl voting. San Francisco followed by Baltimore and New Orleans have the most players receiving votes. So, with no offense intended towards our roster, how much of our success is the result of one specific guy on our team? I would argue an inordinate amount comparatively.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I also want to point out that Chris Collinsworth is one of only FIFTY MVP voters.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well as of right now Jackson has about 100,000 votes over Wilson.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
He might be. He is awfully good as he always is. But this year may be a bit extra even. He doesn't get MVP recognition because he doesn't fit the profile. He is not 6'4" 225 lbs. He doesn't look the part. He just plays outstanding and is super clutch at the end of close games when you need him. As has been said before on this forum yes I think there is a big market bias and also an east coast bias. You are in the Northwest corner. A lot of people don't watch your games and aren't super familiar with your team. So it's this lack of familiarity which leads to less MVP consideration. Some of it is just not getting out of area games on broadcast TV. They don't see you until the playoffs. People know you have had great success in the past. But the Seahawks don't cross their mind as much as some of the other teams. Because they are more in the area of other teams and get more publicity and games to view of them.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think the thing I liked hearing the most was the the recognition that Wilson has been so consistently so good for so long.

I truly think that it will take that kind of thinking to secure his first MVP. He will likely never have the volume and scoring stats of a QB in a system that is built around volume. (Mahomes, Jackson).

Hopefully the voters take the long look and say, you know this guy deserves it for his body of work.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
chris98251":2tmm4gyb said:
Well as of right now Jackson has about 100,000 votes over Wilson.

I didn’t convey my point clearly. It’s not about head to head. The Ravens (last I looked) had SIX players leading their position in votes in the AFC. SIX. How many does Seattle have? Russell leads QBs.... Maybe Bobby? Lamar and the Ravens benefit from those other five players. Russell does more with less skill surrounding him would be the argument to make in favor of an MVP candidacy vs Jackson.

To take it a step further look at the PFF grades of the two offensive lines.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I hate having to agree with Cris, except when I don't.

HawkerD

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2qo6j4xv said:
He might be. He is awfully good as he always is. But this year may be a bit extra even. He doesn't get MVP recognition because he doesn't fit the profile. He is not 6'4" 225 lbs. He doesn't look the part. He just plays outstanding and is super clutch at the end of close games when you need him. As has been said before on this forum yes I think there is a big market bias and also an east coast bias. You are in the Northwest corner. A lot of people don't watch your games and aren't super familiar with your team. So it's this lack of familiarity which leads to less MVP consideration. Some of it is just not getting out of area games on broadcast TV. They don't see you until the playoffs. People know you have had great success in the past. But the Seahawks don't cross their mind as much as some of the other teams. Because they are more in the area of other teams and get more publicity and games to view of them.
As pointed out above, there are 50 voters. They know the game. If there was a bias against non-prototype QBs it is over. The Mayfield and Murray draft position shows the bias is dissipating and the prototype is changing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Notice that last season's wunderkind, Patrick Mahomes, is not even being talked about much anymore. All you heard was Patrick this and Patrick that. He was in the offseason but now it's Lamar this and Lamar that. Next season, Lamar will fade as defenses will get smarter when playing against him. Still RW will be consistently among the top performers as he has always been throughout his career. Very consistent and he just wins!!!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Lamar is one sprained ankle away from being ordinary. Wilson played a season with a sprained knee and still made the playoffs.

I don't see much difference between young Mike Vick and Jackson. Both were the best athletes on the field when they played but neither was the greatest or smartest QB.

Saying that no one has done what Jackson is doing is total recency bias. Vick's done those sort of things for a couple years. RGIII did those sort of things for a year.

It's just like saying no one plays off script like Mahomes when Wilson was doing it before him and Fran Tarkenton was doing it way before both of them.

Media is all hype and very little true analysis.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I'm not sold that Russ will win it this year, However I do believe he will actually get a vote this year though. It's crazy that he has never even gotten one vote for MVP.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I think that either guy is deserving. Both teams are WAY worse without their QB. I hope Russ wins, but if Jackson does, I won't feel like it's unjust.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being a close 2nd, but Lamar should be the MVP this year.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
One thing to consider.

The Ravens team was built around and for Lamar Jackson. The offense is tailor made for his talents.

Russ is in Pete’s offense. The offense has at least gotten an improvement with Schotty over Bevel.

themunn

Reaction score
Look, just remember that Peyton Manning had 5 MVP titles before he won his 2nd superbowl.
Brady had 3 superbowls before he won his first MVP. And he didn't win MVP in 5 of the 6 years he won the superbowl. In the year where he won both he wasn't even that spectacular - 8YPA, 66% completion percentage, 32-8 TD-Int and a 102.8 QB rating. There are 8 qbs with a better rating than that this year alone!

If Wilsonwins another superbowl he will get a leg up on the competition in future years, it almost counts as 10 MVP votes off the bat.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It can go either way, both guys are very deserving. I'm not a fan of Collinsworth, but he brings up some good points overall. It should be who does the most with what they have to work with. Russ has always done more than most guys would be able to do, especially behind a mainly swiss cheese O Line most of his career. Pass protection has almost always been a problem. That being said, Jackson is just ridiculous so I can see him getting it. I still think Jackson gets it, but I would love to see Russ get it.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
To be honest, the only way I see Wilson overtaking Jackson is if the Niners really did give a blueprint on defending him. He still has to face Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Even if it isn't a Niners "blueprint," that takes him down, just the fact that there is more tape on him allows defenses to plan for him better. Obviously, an injury can take him out like it did Mahomes.

The one thing Wilson has in his favor is a significantly more challenging schedule, going forward. He has a chance to come up big in some big games. That week 17 matchup has the potential to be a true statement game that determines the 1 seed, 5 seed, and MVP. If Russ comes up big, he could sway enough voters.

Latest posts