Carrying the team

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Once again. I'm not saying that Geno is a good QB, nor claiming that he is the answer. I'm using him as an example of "not good," and comparing that "not good" play to Wilson's, to demonstrate how badly Russ is playing.

Buuuut, since you brought it up...

On their attempted passes, Russ is throwing 41% incomplete to Geno's 19%

11% of Wilson's attempts have completed for < 5 yards, compared to 29% for Geno

30% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 5-15 yards, compared to 39% for Geno

6.8% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 15-20 yards, compared to 8.6% for Geno

6.8% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 20-30 yards, compared to 3.4% for Geno

4.1% of Wilson's attempts have completed for > 30 yards, compared to 1.7% for Geno

So, Wilson has a slight edge on the > 20 yard plays. Keep in mind, that narrows a bit (Wilson 9.6% on >20 to Smith's 6.9% on > 20) if we include Geno's 49 yard pass to DK that was called back for ineligible man downfield. Incidentally, if Russ tossed that 49 yarder, it would be his second longest of the season.

So, is Smith on Wilson's level? Clearly not, but Wilson is clearly not playing that much better through two games, certainly not to the level of his contract. Going through the play by play looks agonizingly familiar to Seahawks fans and recent opponents. Many drives of maddening incompletions, followed by half-ending, and game-ending drives with huge passes.

Does he come alive in those situations, or are defenses giving him a cushion, fearing his long ball in that situation? I'll leave that to the reader to interpret.

I admit, Russ is playing like garbage right now. I fully expect him to get it going eventually. I expect nothing more from Geno though.

17 offensive points in two games. Problem with Geno is that he's just good enough to keep you in games, but he's not good enough to win them when its needed. Thats the biggest difference between him and Russ.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I admit, Russ is playing like garbage right now. I fully expect him to get it going eventually. I expect nothing more from Geno though.

17 offensive points in two games. Problem with Geno is that he's just good enough to keep you in games, but he's not good enough to win them when its needed. Thats the biggest difference between him and Russ.
Seems that being good enough to keep the team in games but not good enough to win them is a good thing for a rebuilding team. The young players are involved and playing meaningful downs while developing and getting positive situational experiences. And, the team gets a solid draft position. Win-win!

The other positive I see with Geno is that his mediocre performance means that we go after a better option next year, and, if it is a young developing QB who is not ready to start day one, we are not in the situation of having to force a rookie to start right away. Geno's performance is not good enough for us to feel pressure to stick with him next year, and not so terrible that we feel pressure to go all in on a rookie and force that rookie to start day one. Again, I see a win-win situation.

With Russ, we were in a lose-lose-lose situation. He was good enough to keep us drafting at the backend of the draft, but not good enough to lead a team to playoff wins. He was taking up enough of the cap to make it difficult to spend big in free agency, but not performing at a high enough level to carry an offense built around him. He was good enough and young enough that it made no sense to spend resources on a second QB to compete and push him, but not good enough or young enough to build the team's future around.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
With Russ, we were in a lose-lose-lose situation. He was good enough to keep us drafting at the backend of the draft, but not good enough to lead a team to playoff wins. He was taking up enough of the cap to make it difficult to spend big in free agency, but not performing at a high enough level to carry an offense built around him. He was good enough and young enough that it made no sense to spend resources on a second QB to compete and push him, but not good enough or young enough to build the team's future around.

His cap space didnt seem to stop them from signing Adams in one of the worst trades in NFL history. The whole cap space excuse is old and tired. The staff just didnt do it right. Plain and simple. Russ was good enough to build around, but he was hampered with a mediocre coaching staff and not enough correct pieces to get it done. It'll become more clear after the unsuccessful rebuild.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think the 12s on dot net are mostly anti-Russ, you want to know why? 40% from Russ's own actions, 20% from team's push back, 40% due to John63's posts. The way he is going, he is turning Broncos' fans against Russ.

Go John63, or whatever handles you are using these days.
Dude has over 430 posts as DeanDC and his spelling over there
is flawless.
He has 3 names..He retired !anthony but your right he does turn
people off Russ and he's doing a great job over there of it.
Their fans for most part do not hold up Russ like an idol that some
do here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Seems that being good enough to keep the team in games but not good enough to win them is a good thing for a rebuilding team. The young players are involved and playing meaningful downs while developing and getting positive situational experiences. And, the team gets a solid draft position. Win-win!

The other positive I see with Geno is that his mediocre performance means that we go after a better option next year, and, if it is a young developing QB who is not ready to start day one, we are not in the situation of having to force a rookie to start right away. Geno's performance is not good enough for us to feel pressure to stick with him next year, and not so terrible that we feel pressure to go all in on a rookie and force that rookie to start day one. Again, I see a win-win situation.

This!
Absolutely nailed it..The only thing is the "young enough"He's past his prime
for that.
Again great post..

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Why are you comparing Geno to Russ?

Seattle didnt choose Geno over Russ. They just decided they didnt want Russ.

You know this, right?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Why are you comparing Geno to Russ?

Seattle didnt choose Geno over Russ. They just decided they didnt want Russ.

You know this, right?

bigskydoc was making the comparison beforehand. Read the thread.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
What have we seen?

Exactly. People are agasp that I picked Atlanta in the prediction thread. I was the only
person to pick against Seattle so far. I just dont know how people are picking Seattle from what we have seen so far between those two teams.

Last edited:

bigskydoc

Reaction score

Difference is, I was just using Geno, as an example of a cheap, journeyman quarterback, to demonstrate how poorly Wilson is playing this year.

You keep rabbit trailing into arguing about how bad Geno's game is, despite no one in this thread arguing to the contrary.

Feel free to keep pillorying that straw man, though.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
But Seattle didnt choose Geno over Russ, you realize that right?

And Geno just happened to be the one he was speaking of, as a journeyman scrub. The fact that Russ is playing at or below his level speaks volumes

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The season is 2 games long ? Seems a bit premature. But we will revisit this
As hard as I've been on Russ, this is correct. It's early yet.

Of course you don't pay record setting contracts to players, and expect them to struggle out of the gate, especially in the first part of the season, where defenses tend to look worse than they will by mid-season, and offenses tend to look better.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Geno's completion percentage is great,,,,if all you want are 5 to 6 yards passes. Thats what everybody was wanting so I guess people got their wish. The problem with that is it doesnt equate to wins. Two games and no scoring for 6 quarters and his passing yards havent exceeded 200 yet. You cant win with those kind of numbers. You just cant.
7.39 YPA, 10.16 YPC, 72.7% 325 yards, 2 TDs, 99 RTG, 55.4 QBR Loss
5.58 YPA, 9.2 YPC, 60.6% 184 yards, 0 TDs, 75.8 RTG, 32.9 QBR - Win

For the season
7.03 YPA, 9.08 YPC, 77.5%, 717 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INT, 100.8 RTG, 62.3 QBR 1-2
7.01 YPA, 11.79 YPC, 59.4%, 743 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 83.2 RTG, 45.2 QBR 2-1

Sometimes, it's just not that simple

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For the season 1-2 for Geno, he's not carrying the team. And he is NOT the reason the team is 1-2, he is part of it. Defense is a legit problem. So far.