Carrying the team

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
So are you saying, there has been no drop off so far going with Geno instead of Russ?

Or are you saying, Geno is much more efficient as he's able to throw the same amount of TD's while having less attempts?

What i'm saying is that Wilson's rating compared to Smiths is dictated by one QB doing twice as much and taking more chances than the one who dinks and dunks and is merely a game manager.

30 yards passing in the 2nd half of game one, 6 quarters now without a TD pass and no games with over 200 yards passing is Geno Smith. He is a legit bum. Production like that from the QB position is almost always assuredly a loss unless the other team shoots themselves in the foot - hence Denver in week 1.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
He's the field general, right? In a partnership with the HC and not just the QB, right? He had the same problem here, and yet he's on a different team. Why isn't he snapping the ball on time? Why isn't he calling audibles and leading this team to greatness? Why isn't he earning the MVP votes this early when he has the power he's been craving but has been held back by PC and Co all this time? Why isn't he the next Tom Brady when he finally got what he wanted? He isn't carrying his new team on his shoulders, is he?

Edit: I don't hate you, just don't make excuses for Russ when he only cares about himself and his image.
He’s 2 games in. New head coach and no snaps In preseason. Denver will have a much better season then we will. Lol this won’t age well

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
He’s 2 games in. New head coach and no snaps In preseason. Denver will have a much better season then we will. Lol this won’t age well
I'm not saying Broncos won't have a better season than us, but I sure hope they don't for the draft picks' sake. Russ will not be the all-pro QB that Denver fans are expecting though, and that will age well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
John Dean 63 carrying the team, team #3. In fact, he's already in mid-season form! lol

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So basically almost twice the yards and twice the throws. Think about that for a minute. I'll explain it to you when you fail to figure it out.
First, if it was twice the yards on twice the attempts, then that would mean that Russ is garnering the same YPA as Geno, and scoring at half the efficiency. Of course, that's not the case.

Twice 392 yards is 784 yards. The 559 yards Russ has gained isn't even 1.5x Geno's total, but neither are his 73 attempts twice Geno's 58 attempts.

Russ is passing 25% more, and gaining about 40% more yards, than Geno, with 7.66 YPA for Russ and 6.76 for Geno.

In terms of completion percentage, however, Geno is coming in with an 81% completion rate, compared to Wilson's abysmal 58.9% Russ may be slinging it, but it isn't connecting, and this is reflected in the grades and rankings, all of which have Geno higher, after 2 games.

I'm not a particular fan of Geno. In fact, the entire point of my post is to point out how little Denver is getting for that additional 13.5 million cap hit.

As far as the other stuff, take it to the shack

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
First, if it was twice the yards on twice the attempts, then that would mean that Russ is garnering the same YPA as Geno, and scoring at half the efficiency. Of course, that's not the case.

Twice 392 yards is 784 yards. The 559 yards Russ has gained isn't even 1.5x Geno's total, but neither are his 73 attempts twice Geno's 58 attempts.

Russ is passing 25% more, and gaining about 40% more yards, than Geno, with 7.66 YPA for Russ and 6.76 for Geno.

In terms of completion percentage, however, Geno is coming in with an 81% completion rate, compared to Wilson's abysmal 58.9% Russ may be slinging it, but it isn't connecting, and this is reflected in the grades and rankings, all of which have Geno higher, after 2 games.

I'm not a particular fan of Geno. In fact, the entire point of my post is to point out how little Denver is getting for that additional 13.5 million cap hit.

Geno's completion percentage is great,,,,if all you want are 5 to 6 yards passes. Thats what everybody was wanting so I guess people got their wish. The problem with that is it doesnt equate to wins. Two games and no scoring for 6 quarters and his passing yards havent exceeded 200 yet. You cant win with those kind of numbers. You just cant.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score

BSD hittin' 'em with the ol' left-right combo of objectively fact based commentary backed by research based hard data! A fine post indeed.

toffee

Reaction score
John Dean 63 carrying the team, team #3. In fact, he's already in mid-season form! lol

I think the 12s on dot net are mostly anti-Russ, you want to know why? 40% from Russ's own actions, 20% from team's push back, 40% due to John63's posts. The way he is going, he is turning Broncos' fans against Russ.

Go John63, or whatever handles you are using these days.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad Russ looks like crap and has started out looking bad. Keep it up, lose a LOT of games. Thanks Denver

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Geno's completion percentage is great,,,,if all you want are 5 to 6 yards passes. Thats what everybody was wanting so I guess people got their wish. The problem with that is it doesnt equate to wins. Two games and no scoring for 6 quarters and his passing yards havent exceeded 200 yet. You cant win with those kind of numbers. You just cant.

Once again. I'm not saying that Geno is a good QB, nor claiming that he is the answer. I'm using him as an example of "not good," and comparing that "not good" play to Wilson's, to demonstrate how badly Russ is playing.

Buuuut, since you brought it up...

On their attempted passes, Russ is throwing 41% incomplete to Geno's 19%

11% of Wilson's attempts have completed for < 5 yards, compared to 29% for Geno

30% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 5-15 yards, compared to 39% for Geno

6.8% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 15-20 yards, compared to 8.6% for Geno

6.8% of Wilson's attempts have completed for 20-30 yards, compared to 3.4% for Geno

4.1% of Wilson's attempts have completed for > 30 yards, compared to 1.7% for Geno

So, Wilson has a slight edge on the > 20 yard plays. Keep in mind, that narrows a bit (Wilson 9.6% on >20 to Smith's 6.9% on > 20) if we include Geno's 49 yard pass to DK that was called back for ineligible man downfield. Incidentally, if Russ tossed that 49 yarder, it would be his second longest of the season.

So, is Smith on Wilson's level? Clearly not, but Wilson is clearly not playing that much better through two games, certainly not to the level of his contract. Going through the play by play looks agonizingly familiar to Seahawks fans and recent opponents. Many drives of maddening incompletions, followed by half-ending, and game-ending drives with huge passes.

Does he come alive in those situations, or are defenses giving him a cushion, fearing his long ball in that situation? I'll leave that to the reader to interpret.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Geno is also being hampered by Seattle's seeming inability to run the screen play, with 3 passes for a loss to Wilson's 1. I don't put that on Smith, but stats are stats, so I included them.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Nobody expects him to
Correct. Conversely, people do expect Russ to carry the Broncos, despite Russell’s comment to the contrary. They’re not paying him all that money to be a “game manager.” But so far he hasn’t played up to the expected level. Will he as the season progresses? Maybe. (Shrug)

For our draft pick’s sake, we all hope not.

Latest posts